Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Seven Year Itch
Share |
dwane
post May 31 2008, 01:53 AM
Post #21
I'm trying so hard...

Group Icon

that's one of my fav scenes also, she melts my heart every time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bobby
post May 31 2008, 10:58 AM
Post #22
That smile...

Group Icon

Oh yes! I always zoom in on my DVD to Marilyn's face popping out over the chair when she says 'Hi' to the janitor, then push rewind a few times. It's one of those moments in MM movies that makes you smile every single time you see it, bar none.

Also, don't you think she looks stunningly beautiful out on the sidewalk during 'that' scene? I mean, I know famously, all eyes were on Marilyn's shapely legs but her hair and make-up and everything else is just immaculate and she plays that scene wonderfully.

I have to say, I think my favourite scene (or lines) is (or are) the 'icebox' soliloquy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post Jun 1 2008, 02:04 AM
Post #23
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

haha Bobby, I am a big fan of using the zoom for this movie as well! Her sitting in the chair, pondering how to keep herself cool while Richard is trying to figure everything out, I think she looks the most beautiful she ever has in a film--her hair, make up, everything is perfect, the teal/blue chair she is sitting against just makes it all pop, I love it!!!!!

EDIT: also, about the "HI!" ....I actually recorded her "Hi, it's me don't you remember--the tomato from upstairs!" and used it as my answering machine/voice mail thing on my cell phone, and people were always like, WHAT the heck is that? hahahaha!

This post has been edited by mmmMarilyn: Jun 1 2008, 02:05 AM

+Quote Post
AdoreMarilynMonr...
post Jun 1 2008, 03:40 AM
Post #24

Group Icon

I just watched the DVD a week ago, for the millionth time. It is one of my most-played films in my Marilyn DVD collection! Marilyn is a comedic genious in this movie. She has so many adorable moments in it! I particularly love the scene where Sherman is prattling on about psychoanaylsis and "The Girl" is musing to herself about how effective it would be to soak her undies in the icebox to cope with the heat, and then she determines "No, that's too icky!" Marilyn just cracks me up there every time! She's so infectious and adorable when she pops up with that charmimg "Hi!" I also LOVE Marilyn's completely deadpan delivery of "My fan is caught in the door, and when she's expaining the beach photoshoot to Sherman. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif) I also think Sherman comes off more like he is the shall we say; less-smart one of the pair. I'll probably watch this or GPB tomorrow for Marilyn's birthday.

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jun 1 2008, 06:48 PM
Post #25
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(AdoreMarilynMonroe @ Jun 1 2008, 03:40 AM) *
I just watched the DVD a week ago, for the millionth time. It is one of my most-played films in my Marilyn DVD collection! Marilyn is a comedic genious in this movie. She has so many adorable moments in it! I particularly love the scene where Sherman is prattling on about psychoanaylsis and "The Girl" is musing to herself about how effective it would be to soak her undies in the icebox to cope with the heat, and then she determines "No, that's too icky!" Marilyn just cracks me up there every time! She's so infectious and adorable when she pops up with that charmimg "Hi!" I also LOVE Marilyn's completely deadpan delivery of "My fan is caught in the door, and when she's expaining the beach photoshoot to Sherman. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif) I also think Sherman comes off more like he is the shall we say; less-smart one of the pair. I'll probably watch this or GPB tomorrow for Marilyn's birthday.

I LOVE that scene! Probably my favorite!

+Quote Post
Katri^
post Jun 1 2008, 07:32 PM
Post #26
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(AdoreMarilynMonroe @ Jun 1 2008, 03:40 AM) *

That is definitely my favorite scene from all of her films! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) She is so serious about the subject that she is talking about to herself!

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jun 1 2008, 07:39 PM
Post #27
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(Katri^ @ Jun 1 2008, 07:32 PM) *
She is so serious about the subject that she is talking about to herself!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jun 17 2008, 05:37 PM
Post #28
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

You know, I was watching this again last night and I realized that this is the only movie where I like every single one of Marilyn's costumes. They all looked fabulous on her and none of them were over the top- or something that only Marilyn could have pulled off (except THAT dress, of course). They were designed by Travilla weren't they? He did an excellent job.

I always come across these two outfits (below), but they aren't in the movie.
Does anyone know why that is and what scenes Marilyn would have worn them in if they had been in the movie?
Attached File(s)
Attached File Marilyn_Monroe_03.jpg ( 31.04K )Number of downloads: 63
Attached File 7years528.jpg ( 13.37K )Number of downloads: 85

+Quote Post
Elsie Marina
post Jun 17 2008, 06:06 PM
Post #29
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

I don't know about the second one but I seem to recall reading that the first one was supposed to be for a Mae West style fantasy. I can't remember where I read that though.

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 17 2008, 08:12 PM
Post #30
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Yes the first one was based on Mae West, she was going to be a gangster's moll and she and the janitor were going to blackmail Sherman. Billy Wilder said that Marilyn couldn't quite pull off Mae's hard-boiled style so the scene was axed. I wonder if it still exists though - would be great to see it as an extra feature on a DVD.

+Quote Post
Tiina
post Jul 11 2008, 06:37 AM
Post #31
Ihana, ihanampi, Marilyn.

Group Icon

This is probably my favourite Marilyn movie. It's hard to pick a favourite, but I've noticed that if I feel like watching a Marilyn movie I more often than not pick The Seven Year Itch. It's just such a funny movie, both Marilyn and Tom make me laugh my head off every time! I love all the jokes and there are so many memorable scenes in the movie. And so many memorable quotes as well! I love to use them in my every day life lol! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Like "Oh sure!" and "I drink like a fish!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif) "It's real crazy!" "It shakes me! It quakes me! It makes me feel goose-pimply all over!" OMG I can't stop! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif) "I think that's just elegant." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/throb.gif) And Marilyn was so beautiful in this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yes.gif) Although she was beautiful in all of her movies but here she just shines. She's Marilyn Monroe!

By the way I love the scene where Sherman screams "Maybe it's Marilyn Monroe!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laughing.gif)

+Quote Post
Bobby
post Jul 11 2008, 08:52 AM
Post #32
That smile...

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tiina @ Jul 11 2008, 07:37 AM) *
And so many memorable quotes as well! I love to use them in my every day life lol!

It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone in doing this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Fabrice
post Jul 11 2008, 10:33 AM
Post #33
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

It's also one of my favourites, it's funny and Marilyn is marvellous, smiling, and at the top of her beauty.

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post Aug 8 2008, 06:17 PM
Post #34
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

I am going to pop this movie in in about two seconds, I am having a SYI craving!!!

+Quote Post
Vicoria Hoffman ...
post Aug 8 2008, 07:36 PM
Post #35
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I just love it how he imagines she will be wearing some sohisticated evening gown and then she turns up in her casual trousers and shirt!

+Quote Post
SRT80
post Aug 8 2008, 09:10 PM
Post #36
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

This post has been edited by SRT80: Dec 8 2012, 09:19 AM

+Quote Post
ellen
post Aug 9 2008, 07:03 AM
Post #37
ellen

Group Icon

QUOTE(SRT80 @ Aug 8 2008, 09:10 PM) *
I have just started watchin' Marilyn's movies and readin' about her life. All I ever known was just her beauty in photos. So far I have seen "Bus Stop" and "The Seven Year Itch". I really enjoyed both.

"Champagne and potato chips!!!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Steve

oooh yes please Steve (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post Aug 9 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #38
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

I was just watching this last night and found myself laughing even harder than I ever had before--maybe I was in a good mood, but I just found it all to be so hilarious! It was like I was reading into it at a deeper level if that makes sense...everything Marilyn was saying was just so funny to me, and it is almost as if I finally understand how people always say that she was "in on the joke"--I mean, I know she was a very, very smart girl but you can see she's having so much fun with the character she plays, she's almost got a hint of sarcasm in her eyes as she's acting--instead of her movie characters blending and becoming synonymous with "Marilyn Monroe" it seems as though she's ... trying to separate herself from it while still acting it out brilliantly....I know what I'm trying to say but it is not coming out right or intelligibly so I hope somebody else gets it! I am trying to think of an example from the movie but I can't right now....but the bottom line is, I saw this movie in a different light last night!
PS--Does anybody know why Sherman advises The Girl to never put sugar in a martini? I don't drink so I wouldn't know if Sherman is being serious or if that's just a joke?

+Quote Post
MissCaswell
post Aug 9 2008, 08:15 PM
Post #39
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

Well, there isn't sugar in a martini, it's just not supposed to be a sweet drink I guess (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

I've always loved the part where the girl tells Sherman about her job on the toothpaste commercial, says her line ("I had onions at lunch, garlic at dinner, but he'll never know...") and then does the classic "Marilyn pose" with open mouth smile and head tilted back, and he says "You do that beautifully". I've always interpreted that as an illustration of how she, as you say, Colby, is in on the joke. They're both in on doing a parody on her Marilyn persona, joking about it.

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post Aug 9 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #40
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

EXACTLY, that's what it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When she says normally "I kind of sit there like this" and then suddenly BAM she morphs for two seconds and gives the smile and then the shoulders fall, the face drops, her eyes lower, and she continues, "for about 14 seconds, and I get to speak lines too" and then goes back into it--I was DYING laughing over that part just for the reason you said Erica, thanks for jogging my memory!!!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2019 - 04:14 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.