Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Seven Year Itch
Share |
Bobby
post May 26 2008, 04:30 PM
Post #1
That smile...

Group Icon

The famous skirt-blowing sequence from The Seven Year Itch is arguably the most famous and iconic movie scene in cinema history but the film has a lot more to offer than that. Tom Ewell re-produces the role he perfected in the Broadway production of the film while Marilyn plays his nameless neighbour, living upstairs in his apartment block. There are some very memorable lines and equally memorable visual shots as Ewell's character, Richard Sherman, tries to seduce his attractive acquaintance whilst battling his own conscience and terrific imagination.

There's no way, in my mind, that anybody else could have played Marilyn's character in this movie. It's every inch Marilyn and she certainly puts in another delightful performance. In truth, not an awful lot happens in the 105 minutes but it's pleasant from start to finish...particularly when Marilyn's in view. She truly lights up the screen and you really can't take your eyes off her. Did she ever look so beautiful? What do you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Katri^
post May 26 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #2
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

This movie gets better every time I watch it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

When I first watched this, I didn't think that it was very funny. I thought that the jokes were too obvious (not in Marilyn's part, but Ewell's). But you know back then I did have pretty high expectations for the film. But now, I've noticed that everytime I laugh more than the last time.

Marilyn's performance was wonderful! She looked fantastic. I think the part is everything that, people who are not fans, think about Marilyn. MM was at her best during that film. You can see that she enjoyed making the film : )

+Quote Post
magda24
post May 26 2008, 06:26 PM
Post #3
The light descends from nowhere

Group Icon

I feel without Marilyn this movie woukd be terribly outdated now...I love her looks and her acting but for me this is one big Ewell's fantasy: someone like Marilyn actually falling for a guy like him.It doesn't happen I guess! But some scenes are hilarious, like this Rachmaninow one!And Marilyn look, when she says :We can do it all summer!"Priceless.

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 26 2008, 06:47 PM
Post #4
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I love this movie, it reminds me of long hot summer nights even if I watch it in the dead of winter. If you don't like Tom Ewell then this is not for you, but fortunately I do. Marilyn's performance transcends time, even though the film itself is dated and stagey. Marilyn is 'just elegant', and her comic timing is razor-sharp. She brings grace and wit to the most obvious lines, and ultimately it is Sherman who is the dumb one, not her. In a way that does mirror Marilyn's experiences with men.

+Quote Post
magda24
post May 26 2008, 06:56 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ May 26 2008, 07:47 PM) *
I love this movie, it reminds me of long hot summer nights even if I watch it in the dead of winter. If you don't like Tom Ewell then this is not for you, but fortunately I do. Marilyn's performance transcends time, even though the film itself is dated and stagey. Marilyn is 'just elegant', and her comic timing is razor-sharp. She brings grace and wit to the most obvious lines, and ultimately it is Sherman who is the dumb one, not her. In a way that does mirror Marilyn's experiences with men.

Oh I like Ewell I just always thought Sherman was imagining the whole thing, since he was portrayed as a quite dull character, not someone who would be a love interest. And in fact, he isn't- everything happens in his head. I was talking about his character, not the actor, not being precise enough.

+Quote Post
Kowalczyk
post May 26 2008, 06:58 PM
Post #6
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

Tara, I agree exactly with what you've said! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

+Quote Post
Bobby
post May 26 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #7
That smile...

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ May 26 2008, 05:47 PM) *
Marilyn is 'just elegant', and her comic timing is razor-sharp. She brings grace and wit to the most obvious lines, and ultimately it is Sherman who is the dumb one, not her. In a way that does mirror Marilyn's experiences with men.

Two very interesting and very accurate points there. Well said (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 26 2008, 08:11 PM
Post #8
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(magda24 @ May 26 2008, 06:56 PM) *
Oh I like Ewell I just always thought Sherman was imagining the whole thing, since he was portrayed as a quite dull character, not someone who would be a love interest. And in fact, he isn't- everything happens in his head. I was talking about his character, not the actor, not being precise enough.

Some people have told me that Tom Ewell irritates them, that's what I meant. I know what you mean about it being Sherman's fantasy, the girl is a secondary character. It takes a great actress to make an impact like Marilyn did in that role.

+Quote Post
Lacrymosa
post May 26 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #9
Only happy in the sun

Group Icon

She looks so fresh in this movie ! Fresh and innocent, like a little girl enjoying life in a woman's body.
And I love how Marilyn can say stupid things without looking stupid !

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post May 26 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #10
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

This is without a doubt my favorite Marilyn movie--she just looks delectable, and even though her apartment is "like an oven" she does appear fresh and lovely the whole time! I show this to all my non-MM-loving friends and they laugh throughout and love it at the end. I even let my psychology teacher borrow it to see the...psychological aspects of it, which are evident even though it is a light romantic comedy! (She loved it too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )
I think Marilyn has never been more beautiful or funnier than in The Seven Year Itch, I think the comedy holds up after all these years, and I hope to show it to my children and grandchildren someday!

How do you think the film would have been if Walter Matthau got the part of Richard Sherman, like he was supposed to? I saw it on the "AMC Backstory: The Seven Year Itch" that is a bonus feature on the SYI Diamond Collection DVD. I haven't watched it in a while but I know they showed his screentest and said that the studio didn't want to take a risk on a newcomer so they went with Ewell. I think he would have been brilliant and it may have been even funnier with him in place of Tom Ewell! How about you guys?

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 26 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #11
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(mmmMarilyn @ May 26 2008, 08:33 PM) *
How do you think the film would have been if Walter Matthau got the part of Richard Sherman, like he was supposed to? I saw it on the "AMC Backstory: The Seven Year Itch" that is a bonus feature on the SYI Diamond Collection DVD. I haven't watched it in a while but I know they showed his screentest and said that the studio didn't want to take a risk on a newcomer so they went with Ewell. I think he would have been brilliant and it may have been even funnier with him in place of Tom Ewell! How about you guys?

I think Tom Ewell fits the role well because he's such a nerd, whereas Walter Matthau is more of a grouch. But he's one of my very favourite actors and I'd love to have seen him in a movie with MM.When asked what he thought she'd be like if she'd lived longer, Matthau replied 'I think she'd be just fine. She'd be president of the USA.' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
filthy22
post May 26 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #12
The blonde

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ May 26 2008, 08:44 PM) *
When asked what he thought she'd be like if she'd lived longer, Matthau replied 'I think she'd be just fine. She'd be president of the USA.' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Imagine that!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I love SYI, it's one of my very favourites! Marilyn is so cute in it, her character is incredibley liekable! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
The contrast between both characters work very well and there are some fabulous comedic moments.

+Quote Post
magda24
post May 26 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ May 26 2008, 09:11 PM) *
Some people have told me that Tom Ewell irritates them, that's what I meant. I know what you mean about it being Sherman's fantasy, the girl is a secondary character. It takes a great actress to make an impact like Marilyn did in that role.

Oh, sorry!And yes, any other actress would just dissapear in this movie!

+Quote Post
lorileime
post May 27 2008, 12:37 AM
Post #14
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Marilyn was a very, very smart cookie to petition for this role. She is perfect for this character in every way. Tom Ewell, in my opinion, makes the movie and, although Mattau probably would have been funny, he wouldn't have been Richard Sherman. I just saw Matthau in Hello Dolly the other day and I loved him in that. Anyway, Marilyn lights up the screen with every inch of her soul in this movie and I love her as the girl upstairs. I couldn't imagine anyone else shining like she did in this role. In all of her movies, if she would have been paired with anyone else for a second time, I think I would have chosen Ewell.

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post May 27 2008, 12:59 AM
Post #15
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

I'm seriously in The Seven Year Itch-withdrawal mode, with it being packed away for my move---I can't wait to get down there and rip it out of the box, it'll be the first one I watch!!!

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post May 28 2008, 02:04 AM
Post #16
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I agree, everyone. I remember that George Axelrod said that if he had been writing the part later on he would have been tempted to call The Girl 'Marilyn' instead. She was that perfect. What was great about her performance was that in no way was the Girl trying to seduce Sherman at all, she had him at her feet just because she was The Girl, or rather, 'Marilyn Monroe.' I do think that, although Tom Ewell was amazing as Sherman (I too think that it can also be said that no one else could have played Sherman just as the same thing can be said in regards with Marilyn and The Girl), the movie dies when Marilyn is not on screen. But perhaps that isn't a fair thing to say because I feel this way about all of Marilyn's films- excepting The Misfits. I do think that the films that Marilyn made with Billy Wilder were her funniest performances, but I don't think that one can be ranked over the other, because in both TSYI and SLIH she was essentially playing the same role, which eventually goes back to the character she invented, 'Marilyn Monroe.' What I don't like about both of these films- the ONLY thing I don't like about both of these films- is that although Marilyn is the core of both these movies, she doesn't have nearly enough screen time. But all in all I find TSYI to be one of Marilyn's greatest performances. It's also interesting to note that this was before the Strasbergs had come into her life- she was such a natural. Wilder was right to call her a comedic genius- she had a great sense of timing in this film and I love her facial expressions for instance when she says, "Noo that's too icky" and yes, when she coos, "We can do this all summer..." Yeah, I think that if I was to introduce someone to Marilyn's movies as far as comedy goes, I would pick this one. Not to mention that she was IMO the most beautiful that she had been (up til that point) on screen, she looked so young and healthy; just absolutely lovely. Sooo to sum up, Marilyn was unforgettable in this movie- a delight.

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: May 28 2008, 02:08 AM

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post May 30 2008, 09:59 PM
Post #17
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

When she says "We can do this all summer...hmm?" and gives that look, I would put that as number one on a list of most sensual/suggestive movie moments ever, even over anything that is more scandalous or from modern times or features WHATEVER, because it is the innocence and the demure night gown and the fluffiness of her hair and the raise of the eyebrows that makes it so surprising and titillating and enticing for ANY man, probably! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink3.gif)
(that is the closest smiley I could find to "that look.." haha!)

EDIT: and I am a woman, and I still find it enchanting and foxy. hahaha!

This post has been edited by mmmMarilyn: May 30 2008, 10:00 PM

+Quote Post
bruno
post May 30 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #18
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

My favorite scene is when they are sitting on the floor, drinking champagne, eating potatoe ships, and then listening to Rachmaninov's second concerto of piano - She just looks absolutely beautiful there.

+Quote Post
lorileime
post May 30 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #19
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I just have to add this: My favorite scene is when she pops up in the chair and just says "Hi!". I love that!

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post May 31 2008, 01:35 AM
Post #20
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(lorileime @ May 30 2008, 11:57 PM) *
I just have to add this: My favorite scene is when she pops up in the chair and just says "Hi!". I love that!

Oh yes, I love that part too! It's just so adorable! She had such a sweet voice.

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: Aug 11 2008, 06:36 AM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2019 - 06:25 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.