Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bus Stop
Share |
JanCollector
post Jun 1 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #21
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

Don Murray needed to take it down a notch (or twenty). A truly horrible performance and it's ludicrous that he (and not Marilyn) was nominated for an Oscar.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lorelei
post Jun 1 2008, 06:31 PM
Post #22
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(JanCollector @ Jun 1 2008, 05:14 PM) *
Don Murray needed to take it down a notch (or twenty). A truly horrible performance and it's ludicrous that he (and not Marilyn) was nominated for an Oscar.

I did'n know he was nominated for an Oscar!!! I feel shocked!

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jun 1 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #23
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(JanCollector @ Jun 1 2008, 05:14 PM) *

No kidding. God, that makes me angry! Why in hell did the Academy snub her like that?! And Don Murray was an unknown too...

Ugh

+Quote Post
dwane
post Jun 1 2008, 06:45 PM
Post #24
I'm trying so hard...

Group Icon

i really love this movie and don murray is one of my favorite leading men from marilyn's movies.

+Quote Post
AdoreMarilynMonr...
post Jun 1 2008, 07:54 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

I think Marilyn shows a lot of maturity as an actress in this movie. There is a scene on the bus where her character describes her history with men & the way she would like to be treated by a man. That scene gives me chills. Also the final scenes of the film are fantastic, Marilyn does some incredible work. The emotion in her whole being is fabulous, those closeups are heartwrenching.

I just wish I could enjoy Don Murray's performance in this film. But his character is so immature and obnoxious, I can not root for a romance between the two characters. Everytime I get to the end, I want Cherie to tell him she won't marry him.

It's just for me, he treats her badly the whole film and there's nothing charming or endearing that makes me as a woman think "Yes, this is the one I want to marry." I think if they had worked on showing more of a relationship building before his 2 minute apology at the end, the film would have been better. Even with socal moral of the time, I can't see that many women being charmed by his character. It is a shame, because I really enjoy Marilyn in it.

+Quote Post
lorileime
post Jun 3 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #26
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

A very funny story. I told a friend that MM's birthday was on June 1st, so she went to the video store to rent GPB. They didn't have it, but she got Bus Stop. She said she hadn't seen any MM films so this was a first for her. Here's what she emailed to me: I liked Bus Stop. HOWEVER, what is poor Cherie going to do married to that utter lunkhead!! I wanted her to marry Virge. I think the sequel is, she leaves stupid Bo, comes back to the Bus Stop, marries Virge, they adopt the 2 kids, live with Grace & Carl happily ever after. Bo gets gored by a Brahma bull, not killed just incapacitated and has to live with himself forever.

Loved Black Magic, loved the landscapes, loved Marilyn, Vera and Grace. I enjoyed the parade and I even kind of liked the rodeo stuff. But Bo was totally detestable.

Me again:
If it's that obvious, why didn't they see back then that Don Murray was an idiot? I don't get it.

+Quote Post
Kowalczyk
post Jun 4 2008, 05:44 PM
Post #27
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

A bit of a silly point from me, but don't you love when Marilyn gives Beau that little wink/smile during 'Black Magic'? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif)

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post Jun 4 2008, 06:34 PM
Post #28
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

YES YES YES! That is one of my favorite movie moments--there is something so natural about that smile--it is without her "trick" of lowering the upper lip or whatever that was-- so it is just big and bright and cute, like the one she gives "Daphne" after he covers her back about the alcohol in SLIH. So precious!

+Quote Post
Kowalczyk
post Jun 4 2008, 07:14 PM
Post #29
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

QUOTE(mmmMarilyn @ Jun 4 2008, 06:34 PM) *
the one she gives "Daphne" after he covers her back about the alcohol in SLIH. So precious!

Yes, I love that one too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
bruno
post Jun 4 2008, 07:32 PM
Post #30
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

...but aren't you bothered at all by the fact that she is again a completely dumb blonde in this movie ???
Sorry not to follow the majority, but that really makes me angry that she couldn't get read of that component from her character.

She could have portrayed a lost, desenchanted, sad, touching personality, and yet with sobriety.
Here I just find a very affected, complicated, and girlish way of behaving, in almost every scene.
And I know for sure she could have done it soberly, because that is how she was in real life, when the camera was off -a remembrance from Don Murray himself...
Sorry again for not sharing your opinion, but that is also why forum exist !

+Quote Post
AdoreMarilynMonr...
post Jun 6 2008, 06:23 AM
Post #31

Group Icon

If it's that obvious, why didn't they see back then that Don Murray was an idiot? I don't get it.

LOL! Maybe it was the fact that this was his first major role? I don't know, I've never really understood it.
The email your friend sent was nice, in that it's not just the diehard Marilyn fans who struggle with his character. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
meztisa
post Jun 7 2008, 12:51 PM
Post #32
team marilyn

Group Icon

Going to offset, didn't Don Murray and Marilyn not get along? Supposedly she accidentally cut him in the eye during a hand gesture.

+Quote Post
lorileime
post Jun 7 2008, 06:17 PM
Post #33
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Yes, I think you're right about they didn't get along, or at least Marilyn didn't like him. I remember a story about the scene where she's in bed and he comes 'bustin in like a wild Indian". Her line was, "Nine o'clock! I didn't even get to bed til five." And his line was supposed to be, "Five o'clock, well no wunder yur so pale and white." But he kept saying, 'No wunder yur so pale and scaley' and Marilyn kept getting more and more annoyed with him not being able to remember his line. Supposedly she said something to the effect that he kept mistakenly saying scaley because it was a Freudian slip and he was subconciously referring to something snake-like (hence the scales) which in actuality was a reference to his penis, which to her was an affront because he was trying to assert his masculinity to establish himself as dominant. Something to that effect. I don't remember completely, but she was not pleased with it at all.

+Quote Post
Elsie Marina
post Jun 17 2008, 05:53 PM
Post #34
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

Oh wow I had never heart that story before loreleime!

On the same scene the way she said she "didn't even get to bed till 5" to me was one of the best pieces of acting, the tone of her voice just perfectly surmises the agony of getting woken up way too early.

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jun 17 2008, 05:57 PM
Post #35
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

My little brother is ten. Because of me, he's seen practically all of Marilyn's movies- but Bus Stop is his favorite (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Elsie Marina
post Jun 17 2008, 05:58 PM
Post #36
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

Aw that is so cute!

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jun 17 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #37
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Heehee.

Actually, I think the reason why he liked it is because Marilyn was so 'real' in her performance.

He doesn't like her breathy voice in her more famous roles (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes1.gif)

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: Jun 17 2008, 06:01 PM

+Quote Post
Elsie Marina
post Jun 17 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #38
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

Tsk. Have you tried brainwashing him? Playing GPB next to him while he sleeps? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jun 17 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #39
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Elsie Marina
post Jun 17 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #40
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

It's worth a try! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2019 - 04:13 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.