Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bus Stop
Share |
Bobby
post May 26 2008, 04:19 PM
Post #1
That smile...

Group Icon

In 1956, this romantic comedy was the first movie produced under Marilyn Monroe Productions. Marilyn hand-picked this project as the one that would signal the start of a new era of her life and career, a time that would give her more creative control of her work. She adopted an 'Ozark' accent for the part of Cherie and won a lot of praise for her performance in the picture, which co-starred an unknown actor named Don Murray.

"I didn't have my lipstick on yet!" - My favourite line from the film (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) There are some very funny moments in Bus Stop, as the two lead characters clash head-on with their views on the world and on their lives. Cherie was an adorable character and Marilyn played it so very well, especially the use of the false accent. I will always dislike the corny and unrealistic ending but that's just my own view. The film itself was very enjoyable but I was slightly disappointed by the all-too-familiar 'happy ending'. What did you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
magda24
post May 26 2008, 04:38 PM
Post #2
The light descends from nowhere

Group Icon

Ok, i know it's not a common view but I dislike this movie. I find it artifcial and dull and I really, really, can't stand Don Murray's charachter. He's irritating as hell- his stupidity, behaviour etc. He's supposed to be funny and frsh in a wholesome way but I couldn't stand a guy like that. I always had this strange feeling that Cherie would finally become an abused wife (especially as Boo or whatever his name was couldn't even remember her own name). I like Marilyn's performance but it was much bigger than this movie.Josh Logan fails to be a good director.There are some nice close ups but other than that...big dissapointment.

+Quote Post
Bobby
post May 26 2008, 04:51 PM
Post #3
That smile...

Group Icon

QUOTE(magda24 @ May 26 2008, 03:38 PM) *
Ok, i know it's not a common view but I dislike this movie. I find it artifcial and dull and I really, really, can't stand Don Murray's charachter. He's irritating as hell- his stupidity, behaviour etc. He's supposed to be funny and frsh in a wholesome way but I couldn't stand a guy like that. I always had this strange feeling that Cherie would finally become an abused wife (especially as Boo or whatever his name was couldn't even remember her own name). I like Marilyn's performance but it was much bigger than this movie.

Interesting views. I see what you mean about Beau's characteristics; they're very annoying and for the most part, the character is not very likeable at all. I totally didn't buy that convenient U-turn at the end where he apparently sees the error of his ways; it was all a little too easy and choreographed for me, I just didn't believe it. Having said that though, I think in the rest of the film, Cherie and Beau compliment each other in an interesting way.

I guess what I mean is, I do agree with what you're saying but that the problems you had with the film overall, I had only with the very end.

But opinions are what this forum's all about (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

+Quote Post
Kowalczyk
post May 26 2008, 05:18 PM
Post #4
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

I think Bus Stop tried to be both a comedy and a drama and wasn't completely successful. Perhaps Beau's rowdy character and strange methods of persuasion would've worked in a comedy, and the Pride and Prejudice style turn around would've worked in a drama and maybe in some cases they would've come together brilliantly, but I don't think they did in Bus Stop. Not that I think it's a terrible film, it just couldn't decide whether to be funny or whether to have a serious 'message'. By making Beau funny (in his own special way that is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) it made it unrealistic that Cherie (who was supposed to be a bit more... civilised) would go for him... They do compliment each other in a way but not enough to 'go anywhere in the world with [Beau] now' after the three days the film goes through. Perhaps if they'd become friends, or gone out for a date it would've been more believable - but then, that's not Hollywood is it!

God, I hope that makes sense. I think I have a tendency to ramble... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif) Anyway, I also want to say that I think Marilyn acted really well in this movie; it was the rest that let her down.

PS. Bobby, you've been quite busy on the movies forum already haven't you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

+Quote Post
magda24
post May 26 2008, 05:27 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

You definetely make sense, Angela. These are my exact feelings about this movie- I said I disliked it but perhaps I should have said I was ambivalent.And yes, Bobby was quite busy creating topic (Kudos!) while I was chasing him with my posts:)

+Quote Post
Kowalczyk
post May 26 2008, 05:38 PM
Post #6
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

QUOTE(magda24 @ May 26 2008, 05:27 PM) *
You definetely make sense, Angela.

Thank you, Magda. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/balloon.gif) I now have to go and look up ambivalent in the dictionary! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif) How embarrassing...

Edit: Also, I agree with what you said about how annoying Beau is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes1.gif)

This post has been edited by Kowalczyk: May 26 2008, 05:39 PM

+Quote Post
Bobby
post May 26 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #7
That smile...

Group Icon

QUOTE(magda24 @ May 26 2008, 04:27 PM) *
You definetely make sense, Angela. These are my exact feelings about this movie- I said I disliked it but perhaps I should have said I was ambivalent.And yes, Bobby was quite busy creating topic (Kudos!) while I was chasing him with my posts:)

Females chasing me is very much a new experience! You're more than welcome though, especially if we're talking MM!

Angela, that was a good and well-thought-out post (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

+Quote Post
Kowalczyk
post May 26 2008, 05:40 PM
Post #8
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

QUOTE(Bobby @ May 26 2008, 05:39 PM) *
Females chasing me is very much a new experience! You're more than welcome though, especially if we're talking MM!

Angela, that was a good and well-thought-out post (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

Why, thank you ever so! Yours was just elegant yourself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink3.gif)

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 26 2008, 07:03 PM
Post #9
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I love Marilyn's performance as Cherie, she is sheer perfection. I would recommend any young actress starting out in film to watch it again and again, because it's a masterclass in screen acting. I don't think she puts a foot wrong here. Logan had faith in her ability, he gave her the chance to act her socks off and it really paid off. The film itself is dated of course, and the attitudes to sex and marriage are not exactly PC. The ending makes no sense, I'll admit.

But I like it that it's not a high-glamour movie as Marilyn's previous efforts were, but a little slice of everyday life. The women's performances are far better than the men's for some reason. I read the play recently and it's quite different, Cherie and Bo's story is just one part of it and in some ways that's better. But of course we wouldn't have seen so much of Marilyn if it had stayed that way. It changed from an ensemble piece to a star vehicle, and it was about time she got one. I'll never forgive Hollywood for not giving her an Oscar, or at least a nomination.

+Quote Post
Bobby
post May 26 2008, 07:07 PM
Post #10
That smile...

Group Icon

Here's a question: do you think Marilyn was more deserving of an Oscar nomination for Bus Stop than for TPATS?

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 26 2008, 07:25 PM
Post #11
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(Bobby @ May 26 2008, 07:07 PM) *
Here's a question: do you think Marilyn was more deserving of an Oscar nomination for Bus Stop than for TPATS?

Personally, yes I do. But she was great in TPATSG as well.

+Quote Post
magda24
post May 26 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

QUOTE(Bobby @ May 26 2008, 08:07 PM) *

It's a tough one but I decide for TPATS. I don't know why, she just touched my heart in this movie. But she had no chances, being comedienne and sexy one. Actually I think Marilyn deserved Oscars for 4 movies in her career: TPATS, Bus Stop, SLIH and Misfits. And they in ACADEMY knew nothing about acting not even having her nominated. Period.

+Quote Post
Lacrymosa
post May 26 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #13
Only happy in the sun

Group Icon

Her best performance to me, she's so heartbreaking in some scenes. The only thing you want to do when watching at this movie is to hold her in your arms and protect her forever.

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post May 26 2008, 08:38 PM
Post #14
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

I pretty much sob every time she gives her " I want a guy who..." speech on the bus, she's so heartbreaking and tender--and in the final scenes, the close-ups where she and Beau and about to kiss, are just INSANE! She looks so perfect in them, they both look so tender (because I agree that he's a little TOO over-the-top in the film although that's how he's supposed to be) but anyway, those moments are my favorites. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/busstop.gif)

+Quote Post
filthy22
post May 26 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #15
The blonde

Group Icon

QUOTE(magda24 @ May 26 2008, 04:38 PM) *
Ok, i know it's not a common view but I dislike this movie. I find it artifcial and dull and I really, really, can't stand Don Murray's charachter. He's irritating as hell- his stupidity, behaviour etc. He's supposed to be funny and frsh in a wholesome way but I couldn't stand a guy like that. I always had this strange feeling that Cherie would finally become an abused wife (especially as Boo or whatever his name was couldn't even remember her own name). I like Marilyn's performance but it was much bigger than this movie.Josh Logan fails to be a good director.There are some nice close ups but other than that...big dissapointment.

It's a very long time since I watched bus stop, but I agree with you that I find Don Murray's character annoying. He really put me off the film, although Marilyn was wonderful of course!

+Quote Post
lorileime
post May 27 2008, 12:50 AM
Post #16
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I agree that the ending of Bus Stop is unrealistic. Overall, I like the movie and I love, love, love Marilyn's performance. She really showed what she was capable of as a dramatic actor in this film. She is sweet and tender and vulnerable and real. But as you've all mentioned the story line is not fleshed out enough and it ends up so predicably. Overall, I love to watch this film purely for Marilyn's sake. As Tara said, it should be watched by every aspiring actor. She really understood what Cherie was feeling in this film. As far as an Academy Award Nomination, I once read that Marilyn herself was incensed at the fact that the 'I wanna man" scene was cut short and that not only the character was cut down in breath and scope, buy her performance was pratcially wrecked by the way the final scene was edited and shown. I would love to see the extra footage that she was so proud of. She thought that if that scene would have been left intact, it would have, at least, given her a chance at a nomination. For me, I think a nomination would have been justified anyway.

+Quote Post
Katri^
post May 27 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #17
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I love this film : ) I was pretty stunned when I first watched Bus stop! Marilyn's performance is amazing. Cherie must be one of my favorite characters, too, and the accent is wonderful! : D
Cherie might not be a very good singer, so when I was watching this ( a long time ago), and she started singing, my dad came and said something like "There's nothing special in her, she can't even sing!". Well, it shows that she could do that role too very well!

If I'd have to decide from which movie Marilyn would have deserved an Oscar, it would be Bus stop. Though she did a great job in TPATSG, too!
A big part of her being so great in this film, was, like Tara said, because Logan had faith in her. And that I think encouraged Marilyn very much. She really gave everything she got for this part.

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post May 28 2008, 03:00 AM
Post #18
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Marilyn absolutely deserved an oscar for Bus Stop! Her Cherie was so real and yet so subtle. Everything down to her choice of costumes to the Ozark drawl and the terrible singing was just excellent and so right for Cherie. Of course, and again, Marilyn outshined everyone in this movie. I agree that Don Murray was annoying, I can't stand watching him on the screen or hearing him talk (yell) but of course, as it was with Olivier in TPATSG, that was the character not the actor. I found the storyline to be unrealistic and corny at the end too. I really thought that the only realistic part of the movie WAS the character of Cherie- I mean it happens all the time, a country girl from a small town wants to be a movie star! But all the rest of it, for instance like how Beau somehow manages to basically kidnap Cherie without anyone interfering for that long, is ridiculous and not very believeable. Frankly, I just love this film because of Marilyn's performance- I too think that she was her best in this as far as drama goes. And as always Marilyn was gorgeous!- can't leave that out. Like everyone else I do SO wish that they didn't cut any of Marilyn's scenes.

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: May 28 2008, 03:03 AM

+Quote Post
bruno
post May 30 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #19
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

I personnaly don't like at all this movie : I think Marilyn's acting is awfully complicated, heavy, un-natural, and she seems to carefully apply all what she has learned from the actor's studio : not an inch of spontaneity. Furthermore, she is once again the dumb blonde she did not want to portray anylonger, so the whole thing is unlogical and mystery for me. Her hair looks terrible too...
Everything is predictable in it, and the humor is every thing but light. a complte failure in my opinion. Sorry friends to be so negative, but what a disappointment !

+Quote Post
Demos Kratos
post May 31 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #20
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(Kowalczyk @ May 26 2008, 05:18 PM) *
I think Bus Stop tried to be both a comedy and a drama and wasn't completely successful. Perhaps Beau's rowdy character and strange methods of persuasion would've worked in a comedy, and the Pride and Prejudice style turn around would've worked in a drama and maybe in some cases they would've come together brilliantly, but I don't think they did in Bus Stop. Not that I think it's a terrible film, it just couldn't decide whether to be funny or whether to have a serious 'message'. By making Beau funny (in his own special way that is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) it made it unrealistic that Cherie (who was supposed to be a bit more... civilised) would go for him... They do compliment each other in a way but not enough to 'go anywhere in the world with [Beau] now' after the three days the film goes through. Perhaps if they'd become friends, or gone out for a date it would've been more believable - but then, that's not Hollywood is it!

God, I hope that makes sense. I think I have a tendency to ramble... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif) Anyway, I also want to say that I think Marilyn acted really well in this movie; it was the rest that let her down.

PS. Bobby, you've been quite busy on the movies forum already haven't you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

Couldn't of said it any better. It's very true that the two genres comedy and drama do mix well, but in this instance somewhat failed to prosper. I believe though eventhough the plot was very one dimensional, I was more drawn to the characters and while watching the movie I became more caught up in wondering what the characters were doing instead of completely following the story. Marilyn's performance was phenomenal and I really enjoyed Beau's 'boisterous' act lol.

So, yes Bus Stop didn't have the most diligent plot, aspiring to be one of the best we've seen with films in the 50's/60's but the characterisation was in my opinion done very well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2019 - 06:20 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.