Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Some Like It Hot
Share |
audreyfan1
post Jan 16 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #41
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

QUOTE(princesshapnick @ Jan 16 2009, 01:00 PM) *
Has anyone noticed how Billy Wilder plays an extra in this film? At least I think it's him. It was in the scene where we first see Marilyn and she's walking along the platform. There's a guy walking behind her and he eventually boards the train through a door just behind Jack and Tony.

I've never noticed that before! Next time I watch the movie, I'll definitely watch for it. Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MarilynKissesxox...
post Feb 7 2009, 03:39 AM
Post #42
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

QUOTE(Elsie Marina @ Jun 17 2008, 11:41 AM) *
This was the first Marilyn film I ever saw as well! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

This is rightfully one of the greatest comedies of all time IMO, so many funny lines, also when I try to convert people to become Marilyn fans, this si the film I use! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

i agree, my friend watched the film and now she loves Marilyn even more, i didn't even ask her to she chose Some like it hot, which makes me happy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
madmouth
post Mar 16 2009, 03:37 AM
Post #43

Group Icon

A brilliant film that reminds me every time of what Hollywood's lost--not least of which is a woman who can wear a dress like that (there hasn't been one since).

+Quote Post
NormaJeanLove.
post Sep 25 2009, 11:55 PM
Post #44
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

Hands down this probably has to be my fave marilyn movie. so classically funny, just all around good fun, and everyone loves it. But i can tell the difference between wilder's films, we were actually studying him in film class this week. this is probably one of my faves by him.

+Quote Post
princesshapnick
post Sep 29 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #45
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I've often wondered what the boys' full names were in the film - and thanks to the 50th Companion book, I now know.

Jerry Bigelow and Joe Marlow!

Interesting names indeed! Bit of movie trivia for you all there. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/coolio.gif)

Oh, and there's also screencaps of a deleted scene (not the one from the train), one where the boys are in the hospital, giving Jerry a blood transfusion which was supposed to happen at the start of the movie. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

+Quote Post
Scottish Sugar
post Sep 30 2009, 04:46 PM
Post #46
Scotland's Marilyn Fanatic!

Group Icon

That's awesome about the second names, I find it fascintaing that we're still finiding out new things about a movie released 50 years ago! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

I have both the new SLIH books, but just back from holiday so haven't had a chance to even look at them yet, will do that now maybe... I'd quite like to read Tony's book first actually, no matter what people think of him or say about him, he WAS a major part of that movie so I can't wait to hear his side of the story (but of course I'll be reading it with a pinch of salt)

xxx

+Quote Post
princesshapnick
post Sep 30 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #47
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I love knowing their full names now! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yes, I have both the new books as well. I'm so happy to finally get a book about SLIH that I can look back through every so often and cheer me up if need be. I'd have been so happy with one, let alone two! But I love to be able to add to my Marilyn/Jack collection. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/coolio.gif)

I started on Tony's book first as that was the first to arrive. A lot of stuff, I find myself tutting or saying: "Seriously, Tony?". Some of the "events" or words that he claims came out of Marilyn's mouth seem totally unbelieveable to me. I think he bizarrely has something against her, despite his claims of an affair/baby/whatever.

And the trouble is, I really like Tony as an actor, especially in SLIH and The Great Race with Jack Lemmon. And he seemed so close to Jack as well.

+Quote Post
Scottish Sugar
post Oct 4 2009, 01:35 PM
Post #48

Group Icon

I wouldn't say I'm a Tony Curtis fan, I'm a Tony Curtis in SLIH fan. My love and appreciation for him is purely based on his involvement in that film. I've decided when I start reading the book, I'm going to treat it like a work of fiction, because I'm sure a lot of the truth is stretched.
Have you read his autobiography? he comes across as a really sad, old man now, he's so bitter that his career never went the way he thought it should and he hates the fact that he's not considered a "legend" among the other greats such as Gable and Astaire.
It was a fantastic read though, I finished it in a couple of days and I never read books that often.
xx

+Quote Post
Tara
post Oct 4 2009, 05:06 PM
Post #49
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I watched SLIH again yesterday, I've probably seen it more often than any other film. Enjoyed it as much as ever, I think Sugar is the most adorable character Marilyn ever played. So many great performances in fact. I find it a little hard to watch Tony nowadays because of the way he talks about Marilyn, but he is great in it as well. I like a few of his films - especially The Defiant Ones - so it's a shame he's grown bitter. I think he's jealous of Marilyn's fame. I think he is likely very similar to the characters he played, vain and selfish. But then again, nobody's perfect I guess. I'll probably buy the 50th Companion sometime but maybe not Tony's book, though I would probably borrow it from the library.

+Quote Post
princesshapnick
post Oct 4 2009, 06:20 PM
Post #50
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

^I'm going to watch it tonight as I'm having a Jack Lemmon movie marathon tonight as I have the day off work tomorrow. Good times! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

The 50th Companion book is very much worth buying, much more than Tony's. I suspect it's like a mini version of the Taschen book. I was showing it to my stepmum as she likes the film too and she wanted to see some color photos of the guys in drag. And she said it was a beautiful-looking book and I agree. It's currently standing up against the wall on my shelf in my bedroom!

I've just finished Tony's book, actually. In some cases, he has repeated himself from his many TV interviews (the 'nice-looking ass' incident with Marilyn and how he didn't mean to say 'kissing Hitler' in a bad way) but I suggest you take a read of it anyway. There are a couple of things in there that he talked about that I'm not entirely sure happened, such as a fight with Arthur Miller on the SLIH set. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

+Quote Post
tom
post Nov 30 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #51
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I admit i love this film now. I must of been in a wierd mood when I first watched it.

+Quote Post
NormaJeanLove.
post Dec 1 2009, 05:47 AM
Post #52
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

i was excited about tcm showed it on tv the other day! i love watching it as much as i can, its one of my fave marilyn films!

+Quote Post
Juliet17101
post Dec 4 2009, 12:26 PM
Post #53

Group Icon

QUOTE(NormaJeanLove. @ Dec 1 2009, 04:47 AM) *
i was excited about tcm showed it on tv the other day! i love watching it as much as i can, its one of my fave marilyn films!

I just found out today it's going to be on UK TV on Christmas Day. Christmas just isn't Christmas without watching Some Like It Hot in the afternoon after the Christmas dinner. Can't wait!

+Quote Post
Scottish Sugar
post Dec 5 2009, 08:07 PM
Post #54

Group Icon

QUOTE(Juliet17101 @ Dec 4 2009, 01:26 PM) *
I just found out today it's going to be on UK TV on Christmas Day. Christmas just isn't Christmas without watching Some Like It Hot in the afternoon after the Christmas dinner. Can't wait!

Excellent! what channel is it on? and time? I always look out for SLIH on Christmas Day, last year it was on Sky Movies (a channel I don't have) so I watched my DVD version of it instead. I always, ALWAYS watch SLIH on Christmas Day, it's just as much a part of my Christmas tradition as pulling a Christmas Cracker, or opening presents under the tree!
xxx

This post has been edited by Scottish Sugar: Dec 5 2009, 08:10 PM

+Quote Post
princesshapnick
post Jan 1 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #55
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I watched SLIH on Christmas Day and I finally figured out a joke I never really understood as a kid! The bit where Jerry and Joe first meet Sugar in the bathroom, and Sugar tells them that her father was a conductor. They assume she means a music conductor so when they ask where he conducted, she says: "On the Baltimore, Ohio!", that means he was a train conductor, right?! That's why they looked confused!

I love their expression when she says it so innocently! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Scottish Sugar
post Jan 1 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #56

Group Icon

QUOTE(princesshapnick @ Jan 1 2010, 02:26 PM) *
I watched SLIH on Christmas Day and I finally figured out a joke I never really understood as a kid! The bit where Jerry and Joe first meet Sugar in the bathroom, and Sugar tells them that her father was a conductor. They assume she means a music conductor so when they ask where he conducted, she says: "On the Baltimore, Ohio!", that means he was a train conductor, right?! That's why they looked confused!

I love their expression when she says it so innocently! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

LOL and I thought I was slow at getting jokes! Though to be fair, it wasn't until after watching it a few times did I figure that joke out as well, so you're not the only one.
I think that's the beauty about SLIH, because it's so fast paced with jokes coming at you all over the place, it really is one of these films that needs to be watched over and over again because there's always a joke that you've missed the first time round. For instance, even though I've seen SLIH more times than I care to remember, for some reason, I only recently got the "Water polo? isn't that terribly dangerous?" "I'll say, I had two ponies drown under me!" joke, it always must have slipped by me before! lol.

But I think you're the only person in the world besides me that I don't need to tell to watch SLIH over and over again lol (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif)

This post has been edited by Scottish Sugar: Jan 1 2010, 03:43 PM

+Quote Post
tom
post Jan 1 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #57
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I seen that it was on tv too. I didn't watch it though. I'm getting into Hung atm lol. x

+Quote Post
Scottish Sugar
post Jan 1 2010, 04:15 PM
Post #58

Group Icon

QUOTE(tom @ Jan 1 2010, 04:51 PM) *
I seen that it was on tv too. I didn't watch it though. I'm getting into Hung atm lol. x

I am ashamed to say I watched it on tv today a mere 7 days after watching it on Christmas day! lol To be fair though I didn't watch all of it, about 3/4 of it.
Don't think I've heard of "Hung" ??

xx

+Quote Post
princesshapnick
post Jan 1 2010, 08:59 PM
Post #59
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(Scottish Sugar @ Jan 1 2010, 04:39 PM) *
LOL and I thought I was slow at getting jokes! Though to be fair, it wasn't until after watching it a few times did I figure that joke out as well, so you're not the only one.
I think that's the beauty about SLIH, because it's so fast paced with jokes coming at you all over the place, it really is one of these films that needs to be watched over and over again because there's always a joke that you've missed the first time round. For instance, even though I've seen SLIH more times than I care to remember, for some reason, I only recently got the "Water polo? isn't that terribly dangerous?" "I'll say, I had two ponies drown under me!" joke, it always must have slipped by me before! lol.

Haha! Bless ya! Of course, there are a lot of rude jokes which I wouldn't have understood as a kid but I do now. For instance, the scene where Marilyn is speaking with Jack on the train in his berth. He says: "I can think of a million things" and she suddenly leaps into his bed next to him. And then he says: "That's one of them!" - obviously indicating to sleep with her! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I caught a little bit of the film today as well. We were taking the Christmas decorations down and it was nice to have it on in the background!

But I think you're the only person in the world besides me that I don't need to tell to watch SLIH over and over again lol (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif)

True! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/wavetowel2.gif)

+Quote Post
tom
post Jan 2 2010, 08:15 AM
Post #60
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

Yeha, Hung is an American program that has or is comign here soon, It is about Ray a jistory/coach teacher/ male prostitute lol. His pimp is funny lmao. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2019 - 06:37 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.