Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Some Like It Hot
Share |
Bobby
post May 26 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #1
That smile...

Group Icon

This is Marilyn's most successful and memorable film. It regularly appears in magazine and critics' lists as one of the very best comedies of all time and its popularity means it is the film that, more than any other, helps Marilyn reach a new audience outside her own fanbase. Her performance as Sugar Kane, a beautiful but unlucky-in-love singer in a jazz band, was a big hit at the box office and is surely her most famous role. Co-starring Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon, Some Like it Hot is a masterpiece in comedy directed by the brilliant Billy Wilder.

How can you possibly not like this film? It's a joy to watch. The script is sensational and the acting top-notch. There's so many laugh out loud moments but none more so than the famous last line "Nobody's perfect" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I know Marilyn famously had some troubles on the set but as Wilder himself said, it sure was worth it when you see the finished article. What did you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 26 2008, 04:22 PM
Post #2
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I have seen this more times than any other movie, so it has lost some of its novelty for me. But I never fail to be drawn in by its warmth and magic. Marilyn made what was a minor comedy part into something real and poignant. Marilyn was much smarter than Sugar, obviously, but I see so much of her in the character - the kind heart and innocent optimism despite constantly being let down by others. She's probably the most appealing character Marilyn ever played, IMO. I think Norman Mailer was right, without Marilyn it would be just a very funny movie. She gives it a heart and soul. A century from now, people will still be watching this movie and falling in love with Sugar Kane alias Marilyn.

+Quote Post
Bobby
post May 26 2008, 04:32 PM
Post #3
That smile...

Group Icon

So very true, well said Tara, every word.

Do you think - and this may be controversial - that there's a parrallel to be made between some of Marilyn's early years in Hollywood and the scene where 'Junior' seduces 'Sugar' into passionate embraces?

+Quote Post
magda24
post May 26 2008, 04:32 PM
Post #4
The light descends from nowhere

Group Icon

I agree, without Marilyn it would be series of funny sketches without anything solid to bind them.

+Quote Post
princesshapnick
post May 26 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #5
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

This is my favourite movie of all time. It has two of my favourite stars - Marilyn Monroe and Jack Lemmon. In my opinion, they are two of the 'strongest' characters in the movie and I always smile at them whenever I watch this film. I have seen it too many times to count but I never get tired of it. It's a timeless feel-good movie, which is still magic.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif)

+Quote Post
lorileime
post May 27 2008, 01:16 AM
Post #6
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Jack Lemmon is a master in this film and I'd watch it a thousand times just to see him. He's cracks me up every time. Marilyn is just "Sugar" on the cake, or do I mean icing? She's sweet, vulnerable, touching, funny, and child-like. What a genious she was to take a supporting role and turn it into her most memorable ever. She Sugar believable and loveable. One of my favorites.

+Quote Post
dwane
post May 27 2008, 08:35 PM
Post #7
I'm trying so hard...

Group Icon

this is one of my all time favorite movies of all time. marilyn is absoloutely amazing as sugar and i think that without her it would have been nothing. i can definately see why this is such a popular movie even today.

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post May 28 2008, 02:53 AM
Post #8
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

This was the first Marilyn movie I ever saw so it holds a special place in my heart. I just LOVE this movie! Marilyn was excellent, there's not much else to say. She took an idiot and made her lovable and real. She was SO funny and also angelic. So sweet. When I first saw her I was just absolutely amazed and stunned by her beauty and her voice- I remember she reminded me of a blonde Snow White. There's so many scenes that I love from this film- ALL the scenes on the train, when she first meets Junior, the seduction scene on the yacht was hilarious because it was the reversal of what you would have been expecting, and then there was Marilyn's singing which was great. I love how, for once, there is another actor whose talent is level with Marilyn's- Jack Lemmon. He was so funny and terrific as Daphne. He was far better than Tony Curtis was. IMO anyone could have played Joe/Josephine, but there was no one else who could have been Sugar or Daphne/Gerry. Billy Wilder was a genius, he really did a good job with this too. This movie was voted the funniest movie of all time, I believe, and rightly so! It ranks as my second favorite MM movie, definitely.

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: Jun 17 2008, 05:45 PM

+Quote Post
Katri^
post May 28 2008, 11:31 AM
Post #9
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

This was also my first MM film I saw, and no wonder I became a fan! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Some like it hot is probably ( at least now ) my favorite MM movie. The thing that makes it good, is that the characters aren't so, you know, plain. Now it's not only about Marilyn (though I don't mind if it were so). The performances were more equal, and it's not so in many of her films. She usually outshines everyone else completely, but now, for example, Jack Lemmon is amazing too!

I love the story, and the characters are so funny, especially Sugar and Daphne/Jerry (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
princesshapnick
post May 31 2008, 08:57 PM
Post #10
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Yes, I would say that my favourite characters are Sugar and Jerry/Daphne! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif)

+Quote Post
JanCollector
post Jun 1 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #11
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

Brilliant film, her absolute best.

+Quote Post
lorelei
post Jun 1 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #12
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

This is the 1-st Marilyn movie that i've watched.
So it's just great movie!

+Quote Post
Elsie Marina
post Jun 17 2008, 05:41 PM
Post #13
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

This was the first Marilyn film I ever saw as well! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

This is rightfully one of the greatest comedies of all time IMO, so many funny lines, also when I try to convert people to become Marilyn fans, this si the film I use! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Brigitte
post Jun 22 2008, 03:09 PM
Post #14
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

I Love this film! I just watched it last night and I can't beleive that dress! Wowza!Attached File some_like_it_hot_dress_mm.gif ( 16.61K )Number of downloads: 24

+Quote Post
princesshapnick
post Jul 13 2008, 06:45 PM
Post #15
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

She looks fabulous in this movie and I'm sure it's pretty hard to get away with wearing the dresses that she did in this film!

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post Jul 14 2008, 12:03 PM
Post #16
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

I just watched it yesterday too, and that dress was just the most magical thing ever....it like, defies gravity and nature and a million other things, and yet she still looks adorable and precious in it, while if somebody showed up on a red carpet today--somebody lacking the qualities that she had--we'd probably say, YIKES!!!!! Put some clothes on! hahaha, this movie is pure genius, so hilarious, and I could watch it a million times and still laugh like it was the first.

This post has been edited by mmmMarilyn: Jul 14 2008, 12:03 PM

+Quote Post
princesshapnick
post Aug 2 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #17
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(mmmMarilyn @ Jul 14 2008, 12:03 PM) *
I just watched it yesterday too, and that dress was just the most magical thing ever....it like, defies gravity and nature and a million other things, and yet she still looks adorable and precious in it, while if somebody showed up on a red carpet today--somebody lacking the qualities that she had--we'd probably say, YIKES!!!!! Put some clothes on! hahaha, this movie is pure genius, so hilarious, and I could watch it a million times and still laugh like it was the first.

I totally agree to everything you mentioned!! Yesterday, I watched the two documentaries on the Collector's Edition DVD. I just love to watch them every now and then! Just seeing everybody talk about the film, especially how wonderful MM was in the film, makes me smile!

+Quote Post
dwane
post Aug 4 2008, 09:52 PM
Post #18
I'm trying so hard...

Group Icon

there's one thing i've always wondered, if the band called for ONLY blondes why did josephine (tony curtis) have brown hair? maybe i just missed something in the movie that states that they (sweet sue) didn't care what hair color the girl had, just as long as she could play the saxaphone. i hope all this makes sense, haha.

it just doesn't make sense to me, if they only wanted blondes why did tony curtis wear a brown wig? wouldn't it have made more sense if it were blonde?

This post has been edited by dwane: Aug 4 2008, 09:57 PM

+Quote Post
Vicoria Hoffman ...
post Aug 4 2008, 10:00 PM
Post #19
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I always wondered that too about the wig! I thought perhaps it was a different shade of blonde that didnt show up well in b&w til I saw a colour still of it. Maybe she was just glad of someone turning up.

I do wish Marilyns 'I wanna be loved by you' had more of her singing it though. Josephine and Daphne seem to be talking through most of the end of it til the last line! (and it is probably her second most famous song!)

+Quote Post
lorileime
post Aug 4 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #20
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(dwane @ Aug 4 2008, 04:52 PM) *
there's one thing i've always wondered, if the band called for ONLY blondes why did josephine (tony curtis) have brown hair? maybe i just missed something in the movie that states that they (sweet sue) didn't care what hair color the girl had, just as long as she could play the saxaphone. i hope all this makes sense, haha.

it just doesn't make sense to me, if they only wanted blondes why did tony curtis wear a brown wig? wouldn't it have made more sense if it were blonde?

Tell me please, where in the movie it says they all had to be blonde. I missed that all together.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2019 - 04:11 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.