Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest: please Log In.
Everlasting Star is now a private community which no longer accepts new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Let's Make Love
Share |
Fav
post Jan 26 2009, 05:59 PM
Post #61
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I've just got this movie on now after not watching it for several years. I must say that I used to dislike it intensely like many here. However, my opinion has changed (or maybe I have). Do you know I do wonder if the title of the movie was controversial for 1960. Was it thought it would sound provocotive enough to bring in the crowds? I wonder if it was always due to be called that.

Anyway, back to the business in hand. I found Marilyn's performance to be very charming. Yes, they have tried to make her too charming in places - knitting the sweater type garment that she hasn't decided what it is yet, going to night school to better herself, her father being a vicar etc but it works for me in these gloomy times and you can kind of see why Jean Marc would have done the stupid things that he did to get her. I like the fact that the script shows her to be a very honest girl with great integrity and down to earthness which she acts out very well. I could actually imagine her throwing that hairbrush down when she thinks she is being made fun as Alex is trying to prove to her who really is. But, not just because I am a fan, she didn't get enough airtime. There was too much Yves and not enough Marilyn - could that have been for the sanity of the crew though knowing her on set reputation or just that the script writers didn't know what they were doing!

Yves Montand does an ok job. Maybe some of our opinions of him are coloured by the way he treated Marilyn? His acting does make me believe his Jean March Clement character is this womaniser and I do believe he falls for this one girl because she talks directly to him like a real person - which must be very refreshing. So I guess half of his work actually did work. However maybe it is the lost in translation thing as I don't get the depth from him. But how much depth is there in this script.

The surrounding cast are a bit hit and miss. Let me say that I think Tony Randall is wonderful! His retort to Jean Marc's 'you can't hold your drink' - 'I don't see any leaking out anywhere' is classic. I wonder if the actors acting as the shows manager and floor manager felt despair upon reading their lines the first time though. It's pretty dismal for them and I find him an annoying characters. Lily is good, just exactly what she should be - a brassy showgirl without much conscience but I find that George is very annoying - but maybe that is my personal opinion of Wilfred Hyde White. Frankie Vaughan as Tony does a good job and he is supposed to be dating Amanda - but do you actually see them kiss once or act as much more than good friends? It doesn't convince me as a relationship but is that the point? Was she already out of love with him which made it easier for her to fall for Jean Marc? I don't know if the script was actually that clever though. Plus apart from her reaction to their kiss during Incurably Romantic, is there much else to indicate that she would drop Tony like a hot brick at the end when she realises that Alexander is Jean Marc? Are we supposed to not feel sorry for Tony because he has a drink problem ie because he is flawed, does that mean he does not deserve her? Hmm anyway, we could debate the script for a while. The script was what it was - light and frothy. Yes it could have been much better, but it could also have been worse - like others before me I cite There's No Business Like Show Business aka watching paint dry. Bringing in Bing, Gene and Milton was as someone stated before - desperate and unnecessary. Milton Berle's time should have been cut in half at least.

I did get quite a lot of amusement in watching carefully for continuity on this movie after reading earlier posts. The chinese meal scene in particular - I do think that what someone suggested earlier may have happened - some of the back shots do actually look like they are Evelyn Moriarty rather than Marilyn! Plus her hairstyle keeps changing in different shots. And why oh why did the body make up lady not make up Marilyn's legs for the Lets Make Love shoot with Frankie Vaughn. Her legs are brown while the top half of her body is white. Did the run out of time to do it or just run out of powder?

The general look of the movie is gloomy but it may have been shot that way on purpose. They are in a little off broadway theatre with little money for the show as it is being run on a tight budget. They wouldn't have had money to make it too glitzy so maybe the set design and colours used are there to reflect this. If so, the set designer and costumers did a good job!

Anyway, overall I really enjoyed it and it lifted me momentarily out of my recession gloom and once I fast forwarded through the boring first bit, it took me away from reality at least for a little while. For those who don't like it now - go back in a year or so and rewatch it. Your opinion may change. Sure it's not the sweetest candy in the box but if you accept it for what it is, you may just enjoy it.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thenewmarilyn
post Feb 14 2009, 04:29 AM
Post #62
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

I love Let's Make Love! I found it very dull at first but I love the sweet character Marilyn plays. She is not a dumb blonde nor is she disturbed like many of Marilyn's roles, she reminds me of what I think Marilyn herself would have been like in a lighter mood. I must say I think Yves Montand is awful though, he is not bad as an actor but I think he is totally lacking in charisma.

+Quote Post
Guest_waif55_*
post Dec 8 2009, 04:08 AM
Post #63

QUOTE(magda24 @ Aug 18 2008, 04:27 AM) *
I couldn't agree more with every word you wrote. I find Show Business (and RONR less so) tiresome, cheesy and boring, with Marilyn performance less than perfect, I'm afraid. LML, flawed as we all agreed, is still a piece of entertaining flick, and Marilyn- she really impresses me! I watched it again coupke weeks ago with my mum. She had some fresh view on it and said that Marilyn had convinced ehr completely and it was one of the cases she saw the character, not the actress behind it (cause Marilyn's personality, or rather Marilyn's persona sometimes seems to overshadow the characters she portrayed).

I agree with every negative posted aboit this film--the script, the director, the costumes, photography and Marilyn's iffy looks. However, I adore her in this movie. Amanda is one of her most natural performances--she doesn't even use the whisper-baby voice. It's a wretchedly underwritten role, but now unusual to see Marilyn as normal, amiable, attractive, sensiitve young woman! She's really quite good, and her face is wonderfully expressive (well, she has little to do in LML but react!) As for her looks, in and out--some wonderful scenes, others where you see a great deal of strain. LML contains the worst close-up of her career, in the restaurant when Montand tells her who he is. That scene simply should been re-done. She's just ravaged. But she really looks splendid toward the end of the film, in the black suit (out of her own closet and one of her favorite dresses) Her face is leaner and indeed anticipated the regal beauty of "Something's Got To Give." I'll always have a fond spot for LML.

+Quote Post
tom
post Dec 27 2009, 10:53 AM
Post #64
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I do think she looks beautiful in this and is natural but I really don't like the movie. It is slow and the best thing other than Marilyn is how good looking Frankie Vaughan

+Quote Post
SugarKane78
post Dec 29 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #65
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I just watched this several days ago - I got it for Christmas as part of the two MM box sets (YAY!). I have very mixed feelings about it.

Specifically, I think it starts off adorably. I love the opening sequence about the history of the Clement family. It reminded me a biit of Sabrina (has anyonne seen it? If not, I HIGHLY recommend it, the original Audrey Hepburn one, that is!). I also LOVED MM's opening dance sequence.

However, it kind of derails a third of thie way through. Way too much emphasis on Yves Montand's efforts to pretend to be an actor. I found that boring. Plus, dropped storylines - what about MM visiting her father, the reverend, who everyone thought was her lover? That was never resolved, and it could have been a hysterical scene if YM tried to burst in and it ended up of course being her dad. Plus, we never get a clear answer as to whether the other guy- his name is escaping me! - is her boyfriend. I think that was left rather poorly unresolved.

In short, it relied too much on gimmick-y appearances by Milton Berle, etc that just didn't work. Plus, and perhaps most importantly, MM was grossly underused in this movie. She was adorable in the scenes she was in, but her character was not developed enough.

My other issue is that the movie almost made MM a caricature of herself. It was the innocent dumb blond woman-child again, and I'm sure by that time she was frustrated with the same role when she was so clearly capable of so much more.

That being said, I did love the final scene in the elevator with MM asking "what will the girls at night school think? Should I still get my diploma?".

Sad that this movie could have been hilarious I think...

+Quote Post
Guest_waif55_*
post Jan 9 2010, 03:26 AM
Post #66

QUOTE(Bobby @ May 27 2008, 02:50 AM) *
Crikey, those are some damning reports! I personally didn't and don't think it's as bad as all that. I'm surprised how little screen time Marilyn is given (especially considering Miller had edited the script to give 'Amanda' a bigger role) but as I said above, I quite enjoyed Montand's scenes. I found the plot interesting and really, the only problem I have with the film is its lack of Marilyn - I mean, if you've got MM, you should use her as much as possible.I disagree that she looked out of place. Also, I've never agreed with this theory that Marilyn looked so chunky and/or old. Clearly, she's carriyng a couple more pounds than Lorelei Lee for example but there's no way - in my opinion at least - she looks grossly overweight, or indeed overweight at all.
The non-script and Cukor's lanquid direction are the real problem. If Miller "fattened" her role, what could it have been like originally?! She has nothing to do. I think she is really charming here, and acts--when she has the chance--in a natural and believeable fashion. She uses a pretty normal voice. I've always thought Montand was excellent, and had a clear chemistry with her. People disagree because he was not conventially handsome. But there are obvious issues with the lady herself. Perhaps she was in it so little is that she just wasn''t up to any more scenes? Her hair is in shocking condition and her outfits mostly unflatterting. Still, she's MM and has plenty of attractive moments. The musical numbers are amusing but kind of crazy because her character, Amanda is NOT a version of MM, and the musical numbers move to near-parody of her image. It's like she thought--well, they've given me nothing, I have to "do my Marilyn." That might have worked better had she been just a tad trimmer. She's clearly plump in a number of scenes, and close to slender in others (sometimes in the same scene.) But, for all its flaws, I have a very sweet place in my heart for LML.
QUOTE(Bobby @ Jun 1 2008, 08:18 AM) *
I think it should be pointed out that George Cukor has, and had, a very rich pedigree for making great pictures. He directed some real classics; The Philadelphia Story, Dinner at Eight, A Star is Born, Little Women, My Fair Lady. He seems to be taking a bit of stick in this thread!For those who dislike LML - is the director the major problem do you think?
YES!!! And for heaven's sake look at what he was doing with SGTG. The same slow pace all over again. Even with that lousy script, another director would have livened LML up.

+Quote Post
KingAl
post May 5 2010, 03:49 PM
Post #67

Group Icon

Even Though Marilyn hated that movie and it wasn't really a success' I somehow like it. The script is bad but I like Marilyn's musical performance I think it was her best musical performance it's more artistic than in Gentlemen Preffer Blonds.

+Quote Post
sugarkane20
post Nov 22 2010, 09:40 AM
Post #68
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(SugarKane78 @ Dec 29 2009, 08:29 AM) *
I just watched this several days ago - I got it for Christmas as part of the two MM box sets (YAY!). I have very mixed feelings about it. Specifically, I think it starts off adorably. I love the opening sequence about the history of the Clement family. It reminded me a biit of Sabrina (has anyonne seen it? If not, I HIGHLY recommend it, the original Audrey Hepburn one, that is!). I also LOVED MM's opening dance sequence.However, it kind of derails a third of thie way through. Way too much emphasis on Yves Montand's efforts to pretend to be an actor. I found that boring. Plus, dropped storylines - what about MM visiting her father, the reverend, who everyone thought was her lover? That was never resolved, and it could have been a hysterical scene if YM tried to burst in and it ended up of course being her dad. Plus, we never get a clear answer as to whether the other guy- his name is escaping me! - is her boyfriend. I think that was left rather poorly unresolved.In short, it relied too much on gimmick-y appearances by Milton Berle, etc that just didn't work. Plus, and perhaps most importantly, MM was grossly underused in this movie. She was adorable in the scenes she was in, but her character was not developed enough.My other issue is that the movie almost made MM a caricature of herself. It was the innocent dumb blond woman-child again, and I'm sure by that time she was frustrated with the same role when she was so clearly capable of so much more.That being said, I did love the final scene in the elevator with MM asking "what will the girls at night school think? Should I still get my diploma?". Sad that this movie could have been hilarious I think...
Sabrina is one of my favorites its the movie that got me into watching classic movies. I was actually surprised to find out that Yves was actually a professional singer in real life.

+Quote Post
BeforeTheDawn
post Jan 11 2011, 05:34 AM
Post #69
Amy Adams (:

Group Icon

This is probably my favorite movie of Marilyn Monroe.

+Quote Post
kateraw4
post Jun 8 2011, 01:56 PM
Post #70

Group Icon

My Heart Belongs to Daddy is one of my favourite Marilyn set pieces, I know it's over the top but it's just so entertaining and a bit crazy, that's what I like. She was so brave to commit to performances like this. Actually I think she knew no other way but to give her all, even to things that weren't always the best for her.

+Quote Post
CYRILPARIS
post Oct 24 2011, 08:49 AM
Post #71
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

a few variations for me

Attached File(s)
Attached File LML.jpg ( 54.53K )Number of downloads: 53
Attached File LML__1_.jpg ( 49.95K )Number of downloads: 46
Attached File LML__2_.jpg ( 52.6K )Number of downloads: 47
Attached File LML__3_.jpg ( 49.87K )Number of downloads: 38
Attached File LML__4_.jpg ( 50.71K )Number of downloads: 41
Attached File LML__5_.jpg ( 45.16K )Number of downloads: 50
Attached File LML__6_.jpg ( 47.97K )Number of downloads: 52
Attached File LML__7_.jpg ( 40.68K )Number of downloads: 46
Attached File LML__8_.jpg ( 50.74K )Number of downloads: 57
Attached File LML__9_.jpg ( 46.65K )Number of downloads: 53

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Oct 25 2011, 04:21 AM
Post #72
Daisy

Group Icon

QUOTE(CYRILPARIS @ Oct 24 2011, 07:49 AM) *
a few variations for me

Again, thanks so much. Some rare beauties indeed. She looks great in the leotard.

+Quote Post
nicky62
post Oct 25 2011, 08:10 AM
Post #73
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(CYRILPARIS @ Oct 24 2011, 02:49 AM) *
a few variations for me

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/banana.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/banana.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/banana.gif) WoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooW OMG Thank you so much for these rarities hugs nicky62

+Quote Post
purple-haze
post Jan 28 2012, 11:55 PM
Post #74
Just wants to be wonderful...

Group Icon

Just love this movie! Light hearted, funny, great songs. Its one of the few MM films i wouldn't mind having on repeat all day! <3

+Quote Post
princesshapnick
post Jan 29 2012, 05:29 PM
Post #75
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

The movie is growing on me slowly but I can't stand Yves Montand nor Milton Berle. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes1.gif)

+Quote Post
mberton
post Jan 31 2012, 01:32 AM
Post #76
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

I like Marilyn in LML but prefer many of her other roles. Totally agree that Montand was not right for this film and it shows. Even their off-screen chemistry couldn't save it! I can see why Marilyn hated this film. I don't think Gregory Peck (the initial male lead) would have worked either. Dean Martin would have been perfect in LML, but what do you think about these possibilities as the male lead: William Holden, Gene Kelly (his cameo was fine but, yes, a desperate attempt to save the film), Dick van Dyke, David Niven, James Garner, Cary Grant?

+Quote Post
Diamond
post Dec 25 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #77

Group Icon

I watched It Recently... The script was not a pure thing, but I loved how Montand & Monroe played their parts (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)
And what about the music? Loveedddd the musical numbers so much!

+Quote Post
bruno
post Jan 13 2016, 11:48 PM
Post #78
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

Does anyone know if a blu-ray version of this movie is in preparation ?
I am surprised not to find any information about it...
Attached File(s)
Attached File 60le__2173_.jpg ( 251.53K )Number of downloads: 33

+Quote Post
Menna-90
post Jul 9 2017, 02:36 PM
Post #79
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif)

This post has been edited by Menna-90: Jul 9 2017, 07:43 PM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2017 - 03:34 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.