Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Let's Make Love
Share |
abeautifulchild
post Jun 1 2008, 06:55 PM
Post #21
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(JanCollector @ Jun 1 2008, 06:53 PM) *
Yves Montand is one big wet fish, though. Perhaps the worst leading man she ever had? It should have been Dean Martin in this role.

Excellent idea! Now that would have been great!

I don't like to talk badly about people, but I really have to say that I don't like Montand at ALL. I hate the guy, he was awful both on and off the set of LML that's for sure.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JanCollector
post Jun 1 2008, 07:01 PM
Post #22
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Jun 1 2008, 06:55 PM) *
Excellent idea! Now that would have been great!

I don't like to talk badly about people, but I really have to say that I don't like Montand at ALL. I hate the guy, he was awful both on and off the set of LML that's for sure.

To be fair, Marilyn rarely found a leading man that could match her on screen. In fact, Tony Curtis is the only one I can really say generated a lot of heat with her.

She and David Wayne had no romantic chemistry of course, but made an excellent comedic team.

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jun 1 2008, 07:03 PM
Post #23
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(JanCollector @ Jun 1 2008, 07:01 PM) *
To be fair, Marilyn rarely found a leading man that could match her on screen. In fact, Tony Curtis is the only one I can really say generated a lot of heat with her.

She and David Wayne had no romantic chemistry of course, but made an excellent comedic team.

True, but even with that I don't think that the majority of people would put him in their top 5.

+Quote Post
JanCollector
post Jun 1 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #24
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Jun 1 2008, 07:03 PM) *
True, but even with that I don't think that the majority of people would put him in their top 5.

Oh, definitely not LOL. He's the big ole' bottom on my list.

+Quote Post
Alanma
post Jun 2 2008, 04:37 PM
Post #25
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Ask yourself, how could a movie with such a cast - Marilyn, Montand, Wilfred Hyde-White, Frankie Vaughan, Milton Berle, Bing Crosby and Gene Kelly - possibly fail?
The inclusion of the last three smacks of desperation and last minute panic
True, there were too many hands stirring the writing pot, but the 'buck' must ultimately stop at the Director.
That is what he is paid for!

+Quote Post
bruno
post Jun 2 2008, 08:05 PM
Post #26
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

I sometimes have the feeling they tried to use the ingredients of SLH to make a success of LML :
the hidden identity of the male star, and the subsequent confusion in the situations between leading stars, until the end.
(Sugar tells Josephine she loves saxophone players, Amanda tells Alexander Dumas she hates JM Clement).
Yet, a female star who doesn't want to marry a millionaire is the mirror of a woman who does want to marry a millionaire.
Both are naturally artists/singers. Second roles are lead by famous people in both cases, with references well known to the public...
It seems screenwriters tried to analyze very carefully what made the success of SLH, and did a variation of it.
That never does a good movie, according to me.

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post Jun 3 2008, 02:21 AM
Post #27
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who actually likes Yves Montand, but I suppose I just have a thing for french guys.
I love his voice and his weird smile and how uncomfortable/nerdy he gets around Amanda!

+Quote Post
AdoreMarilynMonr...
post Jun 3 2008, 05:59 AM
Post #28

Group Icon

Sigh, thinking of Dean Martin as the lead in LML makes me think of SGTG, and how very badly I wish they could have completed the film together. I thought they had fabulous chemistry in the scenes that did get filmed.

Back to LML though. It isn't my favorite Marilyn film, but I love the "My Heart Belongs To Daddy" number. I think "Amanda" had a more interesting relationship with her friend and fellow actor in the theatre. Some of the jokes in the film are quite funny and I think Marilyn looks beautiful. I appreciate how much she tried to bring out in "Amanda" if that makes sense to anyone. I hate the "Specialization" song. I think it's the worst number she had to do. Ugh. LOL

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jun 3 2008, 06:08 AM
Post #29
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Yes, Marilyn did extremely well considering the blandness of the script and the character. Although to me, this is the only role I can recall where she didn't sparkle. And we know she was capable of shining in small roles and bit parts from seeing her early films. I guess this goes back to the director and the script: she had nothing to work with.

The highlight of the film is 'MHBTD', definitely. Truth be told, (aside from how awful it was) I think it's the only thing most people remember about this movie.

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: Jun 3 2008, 06:08 AM

+Quote Post
Elsie Marina
post Jun 17 2008, 05:48 PM
Post #30
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

Another moment of my wierdness in regards to Marilyn films (but not counting the first 20 minutes or so where marilyn is no where in sight) this is actually one of my favourite Marlyn films (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
magda24
post Jun 17 2008, 07:39 PM
Post #31
The light descends from nowhere

Group Icon

QUOTE(mmmMarilyn @ Jun 3 2008, 03:21 AM) *
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who actually likes Yves Montand, but I suppose I just have a thing for french guys.
I love his voice and his weird smile and how uncomfortable/nerdy he gets around Amanda!

I liked Montand as well!I generally like this movie, though I can see how flawed it is. but Marilyn gives a very true performance, IMO.

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 17 2008, 08:08 PM
Post #32
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I've never much cared for LML, but I may give it another try sometime soon.

+Quote Post
Bobby
post Jun 17 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #33
That smile...

Group Icon

QUOTE(magda24 @ Jun 17 2008, 08:39 PM) *
I liked Montand as well!I generally like this movie, though I can see how flawed it is. but Marilyn gives a very true performance, IMO.

I'm with you both on that - as I said, I quite liked both the film and Montand's performance. Marilyn was of course delightful and I loved her hair, especially when it falls down over her eyes at one point in 'Daddy', so adorable (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

Tara - you definitely should. Report back here if your opinion changes at all!

+Quote Post
Tiina
post Jul 11 2008, 06:50 AM
Post #34
Ihana, ihanampi, Marilyn.

Group Icon

Interesting opinions guys! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif) Personally I really like this movie. Seriously. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif) I enjoy it.
It's a bit naive in a way and I know that Marilyn hated it, but I don't think it's that bad at all. In my opinion Marilyn looked beautiful as always and played her part extremely well if you think about how heavy the script was. I also think that it's great that Montad and Marilyn could stand by each other during the filming of LML. She helped him and he helped her.
I also really enjoy all the music this film produced and the musical numbers in it.

+Quote Post
Vicoria Hoffman ...
post Jul 31 2008, 02:10 PM
Post #35
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

When I was about 14, this was the only film I had on tape and having not seen many of her films to compare it with, I couldnt understand why it got bad reviews in the books I had.

I still dont think its the worst movie ever but you would have thought Fox would have put her in something a bit better. Sometimes I think she looks a bit poorly but not sure if its the white make-up they use. I noticed her hair seems to change style and even length during a scene.

+Quote Post
Bobby
post Aug 18 2008, 01:15 PM
Post #36
That smile...

Group Icon

I was watching this again this morning and I'm still not sure why so few MM fans like the movie. To me, Marilyn's acting appears seamless and impressive and I maintain that Montand puts in an accomplished performance in the lead role. I still adore the 'Daddy' number of course and though I thought the script was trying too hard to be funny (and failing), I do think the story is at least intriguing. As I think I've said before, the ending is frustratingly predictable but I enjoy LML far more than RONR and Show Business. Is there anyone that prefers either of those films to this one?

Also, I was reminded this morning just how good Frankie Vaughan was. He had such a strong voice, bless him.

+Quote Post
magda24
post Aug 18 2008, 01:27 PM
Post #37
The light descends from nowhere

Group Icon

QUOTE(Bobby @ Aug 18 2008, 02:15 PM) *
I was watching this again this morning and I'm still not sure why so few MM fans like the movie. To me, Marilyn's acting appears seamless and impressive and I maintain that Montand puts in an accomplished performance in the lead role. I still adore the 'Daddy' number of course and though I thought the script was trying too hard to be funny (and failing), I do think the story is at least intriguing. As I think I've said before, the ending is frustratingly predictable but I enjoy LML far more than RONR and Show Business. Is there anyone that prefers either of those films to this one?

Also, I was reminded this morning just how good Frankie Vaughan was. He had such a strong voice, bless him.

I couldn't agree more with every word you wrote. I find Show Business (and RONR less so) tiresome, cheesy and boring, with Marilyn performance less than perfect, I'm afraid. LML, flawed as we all agreed, is still a piece of entertaining flick, and Marilyn- she really impresses me! I watched it again coupke weeks ago with my mum. She had some fresh view on it and said that Marilyn had convinced ehr completely and it was one of the cases she saw the character, not the actress behind it (cause Marilyn's personality, or rather Marilyn's persona sometimes seems to overshadow the characters she portrayed).

+Quote Post
Bobby
post Aug 18 2008, 01:54 PM
Post #38
That smile...

Group Icon

That's an interesting point, thanks for sharing that Magda. I agree too that, as a summary, LML is certainly flawed but at least entertaining on the whole. Good post (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

+Quote Post
ziggy
post Aug 22 2008, 10:59 AM
Post #39
Mr. Queen Bee

Group Icon

It's agonizingly average. It's not the awful failure everyone says it is - I wish it was! At least there'd be something to laugh at, hold on to, be amused by. As it stands, the flick reeks of blandness. It's professionally directed, acted, written, staged - but there's no life. It's like an overtly easy crossword puzzle; it never entertains or challenges you the way it could and should.

+Quote Post
nicky62
post Aug 22 2008, 01:23 PM
Post #40
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

IMO I think that if you take away Marilyn from LML and TNBLSB they are just plain boring movies I like Marilyn as Vicki and as Amanda but dont like the characters with her LML would have been a different film if Rock Hudson wouldve accepted working with her in it but he was working on another film and wasnt available . In TNBLSB she is cute and the costumes are great especially her songs . a man chases a girl is one of my faves and Lazy , in LML I like the way she sings Specialization and My heart belongs to daddy

This post has been edited by nicky62: Aug 22 2008, 01:25 PM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2019 - 09:30 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.