Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Let's Make Love
Share |
Bobby
post May 26 2008, 03:34 PM
Post #1
That smile...

Group Icon

A film best remembered for the real-life fling between its on screen leads, Let's Make Love was released in September 1960 and was directed by George Cukor. Marilyn famously (allegedly) had an affair with co-star Yves Montand who was acting in his breakthrough role outside Europe. Gregory Peck backed out of the project after several script re-writes from Arthur Miller, which put more emphasis on Marilyn's character, Amanda Dell.

I enjoyed watching this film. It's a shame there isn't more Marilyn but the 'My Heart Belongs to Daddy' sequence more than makes up for that and in my opinion rivals 'Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend' as Marilyn's best on-screen musical performance. But even in the scenes without Marilyn, I thought Montand did very well - particularly in the scenes involving Milton Berle, Bing Crosby and Gene Kelly. What did you think?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
magda24
post May 26 2008, 05:03 PM
Post #2
The light descends from nowhere

Group Icon

I remember LOVING this movie as a kid. Now, I have mixed feelings. Love the musical numbers, some dialogues are quite funny and the acting is not bad. And I find Marilyn beautiful, even if slightly overweight. What is curious for me that in every Marilyn biography I read it says that LML kind of failed in the box office, while on IMDB it says that it earned 3 million dolars. it's pretty much for 1960, isn't it?So was it a flop or not?

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 26 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #3
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

It's not one of my favourite MM movies. I like her rehearsal scenes, and My Heart Belongs To Daddy is superb. But the script isn't as sharp as it should be, and it seems to drag on forever. I wonder what someone like Billy Wilder might have done with it. George Cukor's direction doesn't seem to bring out the best in Marilyn, which is strange because he worked so well with other actresses. Also I find Yves Montand very awkward but it was his first English-speaking movie, so it must have been difficult for him.

+Quote Post
lorileime
post May 27 2008, 12:25 AM
Post #4
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I hope no one hates me for saying this but LML is probably the worst movie ever made. The story line is lame and the characters are so underdeveloped that they're completely flat. I would have loved to concetrate more on Amanda's relationship with her Pastor father and less on Jean Marc's inablility to woo someone without his money. The only redeeming scenes are the Daddy number and the the very very end of the film when Marilyn and Yves are in the elevator and he's singing to her. That it. I remember reading that Marilyn was in such a state during the filming of this movie that there are so many cut and pasted scenes. You can really see this in the scene at the Chinese restaurant when the photography goes back and forth between Marilyn and Montand. If you watch closely you can see how Marilyn never blocked a single take there. Everytime the camera goes to Montand and then back to Marilyn, she is in a different position from the last time or her hair is different or her clothes are draped differently. I have often felt that those scenes might not even be Marilyn but Evelyn Moriarty. Next time you watch it, look closely.

+Quote Post
marilynfanonline
post May 27 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

I just think this was the kind of material that would have worked for Marilyn around 1951/52. Let's face it she was getting older and I feel that in this film she looked it. She looked older than the other chorus girls and clearly out of place in this dumb excuse for a musical.

Point proven that Fox was offering her crap basically.

+Quote Post
Bobby
post May 27 2008, 11:50 AM
Post #6
That smile...

Group Icon

Crikey, those are some damning reports! I personally didn't and don't think it's as bad as all that. I'm surprised how little screen time Marilyn is given (especially considering Miller had edited the script to give 'Amanda' a bigger role) but as I said above, I quite enjoyed Montand's scenes. I found the plot interesting and really, the only problem I have with the film is its lack of Marilyn - I mean, if you've got MM, you should use her as much as possible.

I disagree that she looked out of place. Also, I've never agreed with this theory that Marilyn looked so chunky and/or old. Clearly, she's carriyng a couple more pounds than Lorelei Lee for example but there's no way - in my opinion at least - she looks grossly overweight, or indeed overweight at all.

+Quote Post
Katri^
post May 27 2008, 01:05 PM
Post #7
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I don't think this movie is that bad at all! I enjoy watching it. I like the songs and the story is ok too. Actually the story itself is nice, but I don't like the script in some scenes.

Marilyn definitely wasn't at her best, but I wouldn't say that she looked old or anything either. Sure, she did look a bit chubbier (but I think that's only cute!), and she was getting older, but only a bit. There isn't that much change in her. I think it was the hair that made her look "not-so-good"!

Not a great film, but not a bad film either. In the middle, I guess. : ) I definitely like this more than RONR, for example.

This post has been edited by Katri^: Aug 18 2008, 02:24 PM

+Quote Post
mmmMarilyn
post May 27 2008, 01:46 PM
Post #8
A Girl, but not THE Girl

Group Icon

I like this movie, I don't love it. My sister and I enjoy performing at MM and Frankie Vaughan and singing "Specialization," and I think Yves Montand is super handsome and actually pretty funny in a cute frenchman way. There is just something about the look of the film that is stale for me--there isn't much color (MM's teal leotard, blue sparkly "Let's Make Love" number dress, and red lipstick stand out for me) Everybody is always wearing black or tan, the inside of the theater is dark, it all looks so gloomy. And yes, she was a little bigger and looked a little older but was still cute. Some of the lines were funny, some were corny, overall I don't mind it and will pop it in whenever I feel like singing.

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post May 28 2008, 02:36 AM
Post #9
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(lorileime @ May 27 2008, 12:25 AM) *
I hope no one hates me for saying this but LML is probably the worst movie ever made.

I agree, there's not much else to say. As Marilyn said, she hardly even had a part. And I hate to say it, but Marilyn looks the worst she ever had on screen. Yves Montand was awful in this, he was dull and you couldn't understand him and anyway he just wasn't right for this type of movie. Hated it, hated it, hated it. Perhaps it could have been good if they could have gotten Rock Hudson. And I agree with Tara, maybe Billy Wilder could have made this one great. A good movie starts with a good director, and obviously Cukor was not up to par.

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: May 28 2008, 02:38 AM

+Quote Post
bruno
post May 30 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #10
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

A little overweight, probably, but her face looks more mature, and it gives her a particular charm that remains long after the film has ended. Her hairstyle is also more modern, and simple, which I appreciate. I think most of her close-ups are really beautiful.
Her acting is quite honest -except may be in a couple of scenes, like when Montand tells her who he is for the first time, in the theater. Overall, I ratherr like her in it.
But the movie itself...brrrrh !
Montand was not very subtle, but the screenplay did not help. Heavy heavy heavy.
I think Milton's Berle appearance is a failure -not funny at all, and far too long .
But there are still some charming moments, and "my heart belongs to daddy" is, according to me, one of her best musical performances -even better than Diamond's (much more inventive).
One important thing also : she is not of course a brilliant woman, but at least not as stupid as most of her earlier characters, and this is quite a thing.

+Quote Post
Katri^
post May 31 2008, 09:06 AM
Post #11
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(bruno @ May 30 2008, 09:55 PM) *
A little overweight, probably, but her face looks more mature, and it gives her a particular charm that remains long after the film has ended. Her hairstyle is also more modern, and simple, which I appreciate. I think most of her close-ups are really beautiful.
Her acting is quite honest -except may be in a couple of scenes, like when Montand tells her who he is for the first time, in the theater. Overall, I ratherr like her in it.
But the movie itself...brrrrh !
Montand was not very subtle, but the screenplay did not help. Heavy heavy heavy.
I think Milton's Berle appearance is a failure -not funny at all, and far too long .
But there are still some charming moments, and "my heart belongs to daddy" is, according to me, one of her best musical performances -even better than Diamond's (much more inventive).
One important thing also : she is not of course a brilliant woman, but at least not as stupid as most of her earlier characters, and this is quite a thing.

I agree. That scene is awful. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes1.gif)

+Quote Post
JanCollector
post Jun 1 2008, 04:44 PM
Post #12
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ May 28 2008, 02:36 AM) *
I agree, there's not much else to say. As Marilyn said, she hardly even had a part. And I hate to say it, but Marilyn looks the worst she ever had on screen. Yves Montand was awful in this, he was dull and you couldn't understand him and anyway he just wasn't right for this type of movie. Hated it, hated it, hated it. Perhaps it could have been good if they could have gotten Rock Hudson. And I agree with Tara, maybe Billy Wilder could have made this one great. A good movie starts with a good director, and obviously Cukor was not up to par.

I think a good movie starts with a good script. Wilder made his fair share of duds, too (most after 1963). I think he would have had a keener sense of pacing than Cukor, but I don't think his presence alone would have been enough to save the film since the script was completely unserviceable.

+Quote Post
Bobby
post Jun 1 2008, 05:18 PM
Post #13
That smile...

Group Icon

I think it should be pointed out that George Cukor has, and had, a very rich pedigree for making great pictures. He directed some real classics; The Philadelphia Story, Dinner at Eight, A Star is Born, Little Women, My Fair Lady. He seems to be taking a bit of stick in this thread!

For those who dislike LML - is the director the major problem do you think?

+Quote Post
Katri^
post Jun 1 2008, 06:20 PM
Post #14
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

In the many scenes that I don't like, to me it's the director. It would have been very much different with some other director. : (

This post has been edited by Katri^: Aug 18 2008, 02:25 PM

+Quote Post
JanCollector
post Jun 1 2008, 06:37 PM
Post #15
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(Bobby @ Jun 1 2008, 05:18 PM) *
I think it should be pointed out that George Cukor has, and had, a very rich pedigree for making great pictures. He directed some real classics; The Philadelphia Story, Dinner at Eight, A Star is Born, Little Women, My Fair Lady. He seems to be taking a bit of stick in this thread!

For me it's the script.

Cukor will always be disliked by many Marilyn fans because of his lack of appreciation and respect for her.

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jun 1 2008, 06:40 PM
Post #16
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(JanCollector @ Jun 1 2008, 04:44 PM) *
I think a good movie starts with a good script. Wilder made his fair share of duds, too (most after 1963). I think he would have had a keener sense of pacing than Cukor, but I don't think his presence alone would have been enough to save the film since the script was completely unserviceable.

QUOTE(Bobby @ Jun 1 2008, 05:18 PM) *

I just think that the movie could have been salvaged if maybe another director was put in and there was another lead actor. Yes, the storyline wasn't completely original, but it could have been great. I mean look at Gentlemen Prefer Blondes- the plot wasn't the greatest but the actors, the jokes, the dance numbers etc. made it.

And I don't know, but I think that Yves Montand never would seem right for the part, no matter if he was just learning English or not, because he just doesn't look believeable to me. I mean he certainly looks like a snobbish billionaire, but a song and dance happy go lucky guy? Not in my book.

And as far as Cukor is concerned, yes, he had some good films to his name, certainly. But we all know the hell he reaked on the set of SGTG. MM wanted to replace him with Jean Negulsco I think for this reason. She said it herself in the Person to Person interview: "more important than the story I think is the director because a director usually has a good story- a GOOD director usually has a good story..."

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: Dec 21 2008, 03:30 AM

+Quote Post
JanCollector
post Jun 1 2008, 06:43 PM
Post #17
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Jun 1 2008, 06:40 PM) *
I just think that the movie could have been salvaged if maybe another director was put in and there was another lead actor. Yes, the storyline wasn't completely original, but it could have been great. I mean look at Gentlemen Prefer Blondes- the plot wasn't the greatest but the actors, the jokes, the dance numbers etc. made it.

And I don't know, but I think that Yves Montand never would seem right for the part, no matter if he was just learning English or not, because he just doesn't look believeable to me. I mean he certainly looks like a snobbish billionaire, but a song and dance happy go lucky guy? Not in my book.

And as far as Cukor is concerned, yes, he had some good films to his name, certainly. But were those films comedies? Most were dramas. And we all know the hell he reaked on the set of SGTG. MM wanted to replace him with Jean Negulsco I think for this reason. She said it herself in the Person to Person interview: "more important than the story I think is the director because a director usually has a good story- a GOOD director usually has a good story..."

Cukor directed many classic, Oscar-winning comedies in the 30's and 40's. By the 60's he was pretty washed up (he had a brief renaissance with My Fair Lady in 1964).

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 1 2008, 06:46 PM
Post #18
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Wilder was originally slated to direct LML, however after the tribulations of SLIH I don't know if that would have worked out. I thought he might have injected some humour into the script though. And I agree, Cukor was a great women's director - that's why I can't understand why his work with Marilyn wasn't better.

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jun 1 2008, 06:47 PM
Post #19
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(JanCollector @ Jun 1 2008, 06:43 PM) *
Cukor directed many classic, Oscar-winning comedies in the 30's and 40's. By the 60's he was pretty washed up (he had a brief renaissance with My Fair Lady in 1964).

Oh. I have to say, I'm not really familiar with his work, but whenever I think of him as a director outside MM I always think of Little Women (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I still stand by the fact that I think the movie would have been better if there was a different director, though.

+Quote Post
JanCollector
post Jun 1 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #20
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Jun 1 2008, 06:47 PM) *
Oh. I have to say, I'm not really familiar with his work, but whenever I think of him as a director outside MM I always think of Little Women (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I still stand by the fact that I think the movie would have been better if there was a different director, though.
I agree with you. It would have been a better picture because another director might have treated Marilyn better, and probably would have had a keener sense of pacing. Cukor was really at home working with a witty, dialogue-driven script, which is why he often worked with Katharine Hepburn. Honestly for Cukor the script always determined the quality of the picture.Yves Montand is one big wet fish, though. Perhaps the worst leading man she ever had? It should have been Dean Martin in this role.
QUOTE(Tara @ Jun 1 2008, 06:46 PM) *
Wilder was originally slated to direct LML, however after the tribulations of SLIH I don't know if that would have worked out. I thought he might have injected some humour into the script though. And I agree, Cukor was a great women's director - that's why I can't understand why his work with Marilyn wasn't better.
I've never heard of this, but honestly I doubt it, because Wilder was a writer-director, and after making a big name for himself in the early 40's, he never directed anything that he also did not write.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2019 - 08:33 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.