Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest: please Log In.
Everlasting Star is now a private community which no longer accepts new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Misfits
Share |
Bobby
post May 26 2008, 03:26 PM
Post #1
That smile...

Group Icon

Arthur Miller wrote the screenplay for 'The Misfits' for Marilyn but by the time filming began, their marriage was on the rocks. The troubled production proved stressful for all involved and it turned out to be Marilyn's last completed picture. So too Clark Gable, who died just days after filming was finished. It's believed the character of Roslyn Taber was based on Marilyn and watching the film back, there is an eerie quality to it in the knowledge that the heartache the character experiences may indeed mirror that of of the actress.

I find this film hard to get through to be honest. It seemed to drag on and was full of over-analytical, unhappy scenes. It's just so drab. Of course, we now know just how difficult filming was for Marilyn (amid the break up of her marriage and the awkwardly veridical script) which I find hard to ignore. What did you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
magda24
post May 26 2008, 03:36 PM
Post #2
The light descends from nowhere

Group Icon

I love The Misfits!!!Everyone gives truly great performances there, and as for Marilyn....she was trouble, sure, but my God!how she acts there!For me it's much better movie than Bus Stop for example and Marilyn's portrayal is much more mature and honest.But surely this movie can make you blue, no doubt about it.

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 26 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #3
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I love this movie and Marilyn's performance in it. The scene with her and Monty outside the bar is so moving. I have the movie poster in my living room. I guess it appeals because the message is so personal to me. It sums up how I feel about modern life and not fitting in. It's not a perfect movie, there are some problems with the writing and direction - but I think that is part of its fascination. It is uneven in its effect but very thoughtful and touching. Despite its bleakness there is a sense of freedom which I find so beautiful. That is the heart of the movie. It takes me on an emotional journey. I know Marilyn had a rough time with it but if she'd lived longer I think she would have realised how far she progressed as an actress. It helps that she got to work with some very talented actors, and they all brought out the best in each other.

+Quote Post
Bobby
post May 26 2008, 04:12 PM
Post #4
That smile...

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ May 26 2008, 03:07 PM) *
It helps that she got to work with some very talented actors, and they all brought out the best in each other.

I agree with that; Gable, Clift and even Wallach (who I thought was outstanding) were all great alongside Marilyn.

I also take and concur with your point about how far she'd come as an actress. It was a very serious role and I do think Marilyn did well as Roslyn - I just thought the film was sort of draining to sit through. Maybe I'll give it another watch soon and re-assess.

+Quote Post
Fav
post May 26 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #5
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

It took me a long long time to arrive at this being my favourite Marilyn movie but I think it came with age and growing up for me personally. Identifying with the character Roslyn in some aspects and reacting to Marilyn as an actress. The fragility she shows on screen shines through - she's just so real in this movie. Maybe that is also another reason why I love it. It's like you are viewing the real her rather than a created character which will also have a lot to do with the writer, no doubt, where the line between reality and fantasy are blurred significantly.

+Quote Post
lorileime
post May 27 2008, 01:32 AM
Post #6
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

This is probably Marilyn's best performance in a dramatic role. She is worked so well opposite the other stars of this film and she really held her own. She is really magnetic in her loneliness and so far removed from the world in this film. She's almost not even real anymore because she's just raw emotion. Too bad that the four main actors didn't have a descent script to work with. I have often said that Arthur Miller should never have been allowed to write, EVER. I just don't get his point of view. So cynical and pathetic, it hurts to watch anything he did. My obvious prejudice exposed, I do enjoy Misfits only because the acting of everyone in it was so superb that it transcends the bad writing. Between them, the actors lift his film to a new level and make it watchable, for me. As some of you have mentioned, it's almost heartbreaking to think that Marilyn in real life was like Roslyn. On the outside so carefree and on the inside so sad and lost and alone. For me, I'll just chalk it up to excellent acting and not dwell too much on it.

+Quote Post
magda24
post May 27 2008, 09:27 AM
Post #7
The light descends from nowhere

Group Icon

QUOTE(lorileime @ May 27 2008, 02:32 AM) *
This is probably Marilyn's best performance in a dramatic role. She is worked so well opposite the other stars of this film and she really held her own. She is really magnetic in her loneliness and so far removed from the world in this film. She's almost not even real anymore because she's just raw emotion. Too bad that the four main actors didn't have a descent script to work with. I have often said that Arthur Miller should never have been allowed to write, EVER. I just don't get his point of view. So cynical and pathetic, it hurts to watch anything he did. My obvious prejudice exposed, I do enjoy Misfits only because the acting of everyone in it was so superb that it transcends the bad writing. Between them, the actors lift his film to a new level and make it watchable, for me. As some of you have mentioned, it's almost heartbreaking to think that Marilyn in real life was like Roslyn. On the outside so carefree and on the inside so sad and lost and alone. For me, I'll just chalk it up to excellent acting and not dwell too much on it.

I think that is one of the reasons she hated this movie that much- that she WAS NOT Roslyn. she felt Miller betrayed her showing some of her emotions and even dialogues from their life and yet Roslyn wasn't even as half as complicated as Marilyn. She was acting in this movie and Roslyn was a flatter, emptier version of herself. I love the Misfits but I do not find much Marilyn in Roslyn. I mean, I do, but I think Miller showed us only the pathetic, fragile, soft side of his wife. She hated ot and I understand. Where is her power, her sparkling witt, her sense of humour?Where is her darker side?I know that it wouldn't fit in the movie but nevertheless it's said that Marilyn felt that Miller didn't ever get to know real her.

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 27 2008, 09:41 AM
Post #8
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(magda24 @ May 27 2008, 09:27 AM) *
I think that is one of the reasons she hated this movie that much- that she WAS NOT Roslyn. she felt Miller betrayed her showing some of her emotions and even dialogues from their life and yet Roslyn wasn't even as half as complicated as Marilyn. She was acting in this movie and Roslyn was a flatter, emptier version of herself. I love the Misfits but I do not find much Marilyn in Roslyn. I mean, I do, but I think Miller showed us only the pathetic, fragile, soft side of his wife. She hated ot and I understand. Where is her power, her sparkling witt, her sense of humour?Where is her darker side?I know that it wouldn't fit in the movie but nevertheless it's said that Marilyn felt that Miller didn't ever get to know real her.

I agree Magda, it shows part of Marilyn, her sweetness and compassion, but not the whole. While it is obviously based on Marilyn's experience, it isn't literally her but another character. This added to the confusion between her image and the real woman. The resilience and humour that helped Marilyn to survive are lacking in Roslyn. I still think it's a wonderful movie though, just a flawed one.

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post May 28 2008, 03:11 AM
Post #9
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I love this movie, it's my favorite. What made it good was that ALL of the actors gave great performances, not just Marilyn. I especially loved Montgomery Clift's Perce. Clark Gable was magnificent as Gay, but then Clark Gable WAS Gay. Definitely the best thing he ever did, besides (of course) Rhett Butler. But I do wish that the movie had a different ending- with all the characters parting. Roslyn doesn't need Gay! I wish that it wasn't all about the men. I wish that Miller included both sides of Marilyn, or at least made Roslyn more real. But I loved the storyline anyway, and Marilyn has some great scenes such as, yes, the one outside the bar with Perce and I also love the one where she's dancing with Guido followed by her getting drunk and then hugging the tree (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . The ending was like a fairy tale which IMO contrasted greatly with the rest of the story, but it was still an excellent film and you can really see how Marilyn grew as in actress. I love Roslyn, this was another one she deserved an oscar nod for obviously.

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: Jul 14 2008, 06:03 AM

+Quote Post
Fav
post May 30 2008, 06:35 PM
Post #10
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ May 28 2008, 03:11 AM) *
But I do wish that the movie had a different ending- with all the characters parting. Roslyn doesn't need Gay!

Oooo that would have made a good ending! I like it. Maybe if it had been written in this day and age that would have been the ending. Though, maybe Miller wanted to give her the happy ending he knew he couldn't give her in every day life.

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 30 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #11
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(Fav @ May 30 2008, 06:35 PM) *
Oooo that would have made a good ending! I like it. Maybe if it had been written in this day and age that would have been the ending. Though, maybe Miller wanted to give her the happy ending he knew he couldn't give her in every day life.

I absolutely agree Fav and Alex, and I think Roslyn should have left alone. In a mirror of Gay's opening scene, this time it would be Roslyn who gets on the train while Gay sadly waves goodbye.

+Quote Post
dwane
post May 30 2008, 08:51 PM
Post #12
I'm trying so hard...

Group Icon

i love this movie, it's so unlike any other character marilyn portrayed before and i just love it. her acting is amazing and her co-stars are just as good. this is definately one of my favorite movies.

+Quote Post
Margherita
post May 31 2008, 08:07 PM
Post #13
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

I have a different opinion on that; I love it when they ride ahead in the darkness of the night "just following that big star"- wow, that scene is something!
I'm thinking of Roslyn and Gay having a lovely future together, maybe a child, too.

I think Clark Gable was sooo sexy and handsome in that role. IMO he was absolutely the best male lead Marilyn ever had in her films, and Gable, I think, is besides Marilyn the essential part that creates the warm, human atmosphere of the film. The film wouldn't be much without him, I think he's the real soul of the film. Marilyn in her role fits well, too, as on opposite kind of person, full of tiredness, dreaminess, blues.

+Quote Post
JanCollector
post Jun 1 2008, 04:59 PM
Post #14
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

This Misfits is pretty bland and does absolutely nothing for me. It's the typical self-indulgent, pseudo intellectual pap that Miller specialized in. An amazing cast, great cinematography, and there are a few great scenes (e.x. the last one), but you can't do much with a script that goes absolutely nowhere.

As for Marilyn's performance, I have to disagree with the status quo here. I feel that she's superb in some scenes, but looks completely lost in others, and I don't think she ever really owns the role. The ridiculous wig probably didn't help matters. In terms of dramatic roles, this pales in comparison to Bus Stop for me. This was a particularly difficult period in her life, and it showed on screen. The dramatic work that followed in SGTG was vastly superior IMHO.

This post has been edited by JanCollector: Jun 1 2008, 05:10 PM

+Quote Post
AdoreMarilynMonr...
post Jun 1 2008, 05:19 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Of Marilyn's dramatic roles, I think The Misfits & Niagara are my favorites. For me, she brings such a raw humanity to Roslyn which IMO isn't there because of Miller's script, it's there because of Marilyn's performance. I don't think I would appreciate this film as much as I do, without knowing how very hard it must have been for her to make this film at all. Marilyn is the magnet in this film. I think the cast is excellent, but the film would lose its glue without Marilyn's perfomance. I agree with the person who said Marilyn was NOT Roslyn, but it is fairly evident, to me anyway, that Millier wrote the character in the same way he percieved Marilyn at the time. Of course, their personal relationship must have been a factor there.

+Quote Post
lorelei
post Jun 1 2008, 06:04 PM
Post #16
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I can't say i love the film but i love Marilyn in it.
The film is boring and i didn't expect the end of it only because i've enjoyed Marilyn role.

I hate the final scenes - i love animals and always worry about them.

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jun 1 2008, 06:44 PM
Post #17
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(AdoreMarilynMonroe @ Jun 1 2008, 05:19 PM) *
I agree with the person who said Marilyn was NOT Roslyn, but it is fairly evident, to me anyway, that Millier wrote the character in the same way he percieved Marilyn at the time. Of course, their personal relationship must have been a factor there.

Oh yes, I agree with what you've said here. But I do think that Mr. Miller based Roslyn on the Marilyn he fell in love with- the Marilyn he WANTED- the "angel." Which is why Marilyn hated it and felt he betrayed her, because she ended up feeling that he didn't accept all of her. This film probably opened up old wounds from that whole diary incident.

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: Jun 1 2008, 06:45 PM

+Quote Post
AdoreMarilynMonr...
post Jun 1 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE(abeautifulchild @ Jun 1 2008, 10:44 AM) *
Oh yes, I agree with what you've said here. But I do think that Mr. Miller based Roslyn on the Marilyn he fell in love with- the Marilyn he WANTED- the "angel." Which is why Marilyn hated it and felt he betrayed her, because she ended up feeling that he didn't accept all of her. This film probably opened up old wounds from that whole diary incident.

Yes. I mean, we all know Marilyn had her insecurities & problems This is well documented. She wasn't perfect, nobody is. But I think Miller's peception of Marilyn certainly colours this film.

+Quote Post
californiadude
post Jun 3 2008, 05:30 AM
Post #19
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

This is such an amazing film, my absolute favorite Marilyn film! She shines so much, and I really believe she deserved an oscar for this one. I really think this film is so overlooked, it's so moving and powerful!

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post Jun 3 2008, 05:50 AM
Post #20
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(Ultraviolet @ May 31 2008, 08:07 PM) *
I think Clark Gable was sooo sexy and handsome in that role. IMO he was absolutely the best male lead Marilyn ever had in her films, and Gable, I think, is besides Marilyn the essential part that creates the warm, human atmosphere of the film. The film wouldn't be much without him, I think he's the real soul of the film. Marilyn in her role fits well, too, as on opposite kind of person, full of tiredness, dreaminess, blues.

Agreed, absolutely.

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: Jul 8 2008, 07:54 AM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2016 - 01:36 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.