Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest: please Log In.
Everlasting Star is now a private community which no longer accepts new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Marilyn's Wig In 'the Misfits', Thoughts and Trivia ...
Share |
marilynfanonline
post May 3 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

I had always wondered if Marilyn had simply grown her hair for the film but when looking at her previous two films SLIT and LML it would appear that her hair was very damages from bleaching products.

I actually think it was a good idea for Marilyn to wear a wig in this film simply becuase I think when her hair was so damaged it made her look older. Even though I know from reading a number of books that she was not too keen on the wig at first but it was needed because of the bleaching damage caused from the filming of LML. Considering the scheduals of LML and TM was basically back to back it was thought wise for her to wear one.

I also think that she must have warmed to it becuase she did wear it for public appearences around that time. Although I know that wearing wigs would become more popular in the 1960's I have wondered if she was advised to wear the wig rather than styling her own hair becuase of the bleaching damage.

What do you think about it? Does it look fake or real?

Personally I have always liked it and felt that it provided Marilyn with a different look for a new style of dramatic acting that she displayed in the film. I have always thought that it looked real appart from perhaps in several scenes when it was toally down but maybe that was becuase it seems odd to see Marilyn with long straight hair.

Thoughts? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nancy
post May 3 2008, 10:17 PM
Post #2
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

If I didn't know that she wore a wig in The Misfits, I never would have guessed it. I think it looks really natural.

+Quote Post
magda24
post May 3 2008, 11:41 PM
Post #3
The light descends from nowhere

Group Icon

I always loved her look in Misfits and there are only few moments you could see it's a wig.

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post May 4 2008, 04:46 AM
Post #4
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Personally, I only liked the wig in the scenes where she had her hair in braids and at the end scene when she wore the cowboy hat. There were times when it was obvious that it was fake, but I agree that most of the time it did look natural. Ehh, I don't know I'm kind of on the fence about whether I liked it in the scenes where it was all down. It was pretty one moment and then the next I didn't like it on her...

But if the reason she wore the wig was to hide the damaged hair, what did she do after the Misfits was over then?

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: May 4 2008, 04:47 AM

+Quote Post
Bobby
post May 4 2008, 09:00 AM
Post #5
That smile...

Group Icon

Call me naive but when I first saw the film I had no idea it was a wig. It's human nature that when you know it is a wig, you can spot moments where it looks obvious but ignorance is bliss I suppose. Some of the photos taken of Marilyn with the hair in pigtails out in the desert are among my all-time favourites (such as the one on the front of the Christie's Catalogue).

+Quote Post
marilynfanonline
post May 4 2008, 11:26 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

I also read somewhere that she was prepaired for her funeral wearing the wig she wore in this film becuase of the damages to her head in the autopsy.

Nevertheless, I know that Marilyn wore the wig several times such as when she left the hospital during a break in the production of the film. It seems that she wore the wig quite alot during this time which raises the question How damged was her hair?

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post May 4 2008, 06:46 PM
Post #7
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(marilynfanonline @ May 4 2008, 11:26 AM) *
I also read somewhere that she was prepaired for her funeral wearing the wig she wore in this film becuase of the damages to her head in the autopsy.

Nevertheless, I know that Marilyn wore the wig several times such as when she left the hospital during a break in the production of the film. It seems that she wore the wig quite alot during this time which raises the question How damged was her hair?

Yes, that's what I'm wondering.

+Quote Post
californiadude
post May 5 2008, 01:04 AM
Post #8
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

It couldn't have been that bad, because her hair was her own in "Somethings Got To Give", right?

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post May 5 2008, 01:06 AM
Post #9
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(californiadude @ May 5 2008, 01:04 AM) *
It couldn't have been that bad, because her hair was her own in "Somethings Got To Give", right?

I know! So what did she do? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

This post has been edited by abeautifulchild: May 5 2008, 01:44 AM

+Quote Post
magda24
post May 5 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE(californiadude @ May 5 2008, 02:04 AM) *

But her hair in SGTG and during Kennedy Birthday Gala lokks extremaly damaged. The same for Barris photo session. Of course she looks beautiful but her hair lacks shine and health

+Quote Post
californiadude
post May 5 2008, 11:57 AM
Post #11
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(magda24 @ May 5 2008, 08:00 PM) *
But her hair in SGTG and during Kennedy Birthday Gala lokks extremaly damaged. The same for Barris photo session. Of course she looks beautiful but her hair lacks shine and health

Really? I don't think so...
(IMG:http://i25.tinypic.com/16pcg7.jpg)

+Quote Post
Robby
post May 5 2008, 12:30 PM
Post #12
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I think it doesn't really look damaged ...

+Quote Post
magda24
post May 5 2008, 12:57 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Well it's not Marilyn hair we knew-heavy curly locks. It looks very lights and frail. Don't get me wrong, I love her haorstyle nad her look in the 60's but her hair wasn't the best shape. Compare this (IMG:http://www.4freeimagehost.com/resized/5284d6de5103.jpg) to this (IMG:http://www.4freeimagehost.com/resized/f8fc047ec5ce.jpg) . I agree that the combing the hair was different but her hair was thinner during the end of hair life. It's really nothing special, so much dying would damage even the best hair. As for the pic you posted notice the special lighting.It's called the key lighting, it gets the best of you have. On casual pics you can see her hair was without shine. And I rememeber Jim Haspiel saying that he waas surprised by the damage done to he hair.

This post has been edited by magda24: May 5 2008, 01:36 PM

+Quote Post
californiadude
post May 5 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #14
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

That picture isn't really the best of Marilyn though, I actually think Marilyn's hair looks at one of its best during the 60's.. sorry about the picture size before (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

This post has been edited by californiadude: May 5 2008, 01:00 PM

+Quote Post
Bobby
post May 5 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #15
That smile...

Group Icon

Perhaps the colour is deceiving? Blonde looks healthier than white, that's pretty much fact. I always thought the white-blonde hair in SGTG makes Marilyn look older, simply because these days, you only see older ladies having their hair dyed that colour. But I wouldn't say it looked damaged. She'd also lost a lot of weight by '62 so that may also be a factor on her overall hypothetical 'unhealthy' look.

+Quote Post
dwane
post May 5 2008, 08:05 PM
Post #16
I'm trying so hard...

Group Icon

i think in SGTG, it was one of her highest points, she looked amazing.

+Quote Post
abeautifulchild
post May 5 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #17
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(dwane @ May 5 2008, 08:05 PM) *
i think in SGTG, it was one of her highest points, she looked amazing.

So do I! But I do see the difference in your pictures Magda.

+Quote Post
BeforeTheDawn
post May 14 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #18
Amy Adams (:

Group Icon

Aww!! I didn't know it was a wig. It looked so real. I actually thought it was Marilyn's real hair. =(

+Quote Post
Vicoria Hoffman ...
post Jul 23 2008, 09:56 AM
Post #19
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I thought it was only the scenes out in the desert where she wore a wig to save constantly washing and re-styling it. It was just easier to replace the wig than to mess on with her hair and hold up the film even more.

+Quote Post
Paju
post Aug 10 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #20
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

I too think the reason why she wore a wig was because the desert climate wasn't very hair-friendly. They had to do her hair all over again all the time, so a wig just saves a lot of time. Maybe there were two reasons for the wig: the desert climate and because her hair was damaged.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 12:10 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.