Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :

> Read before you post anything

May 6th 2005 : NEW RULES!

Before you start to post here, please remember that this is the place to ask only questions related to a photo or photographer, dates or events etc. It's not the right forum to post requests for/like

- bigger sizes
- without the watermark
- more from this session etc.

Those (for example) belong to the "Pictures Requests" subforum.

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Roxbury Second House
Share |
chris
post Jan 8 2008, 08:07 PM
Post #1
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

With a friend of mine I have a great discusssionthis afternoon about the House of Marilyn and Arthur in Roxbury
We have pictures about the first house of Arthur in Roxbury (Old Trophet Road) with the pictures taken during the press conference on June 1956 but we can't find any picture of the second house ( 323 Trophet Road) ?
It's incredible to see that this house doesn't appear on Shaw's picture or another where !
Could you help us ?

and we find an another picture ( Roxbury 2) but we don't know what's house it was ?
and do you have a picture of Greene's Home on Weston ( not inside whe have them with the Tv Show Person to Person) but outside ?
Thanks
Chris
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chris
post Jan 9 2008, 08:58 PM
Post #2
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I'm just finding this picture on the book Timebends but...
Thanks to help me
Chris

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Aug 18 2008, 04:43 AM
Post #3
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Attached File a_miller_roxbury.jpg ( 15.81K )Number of downloads: 116

1957, I think.

+Quote Post
chris
post Aug 18 2008, 08:36 AM
Post #4
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

This is the first one in Roxbury
Thanks
Chris

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Aug 18 2008, 01:07 PM
Post #5
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Chris, I am sorry for my error. The date of the photograph, according to a 15 February 2005 New York Times article, is 1958. In this larger format, construction materials are seen in front of the home.

In Martin Gottfried's biography abour Arthur, he writes, "Early in 1958 they found the Connecticut property they had been looking for, an old farm with a mailing address of 323 Tophet Road, not far from Miller's old place." He goes on, stating that in 1958 Arthur, "...told Architectural Digest, dormer windows were being added and the roof was being raised to allow for an extra guest bedroom. As he [Arthur] wrote to his Irish pal, James Stern,
We've been remodeling the old Ray Leavenworth house which is...within view of the [Alexander and Louisa] Calders. I have a fine little studio [twelve feet by fourteen] apart from the house with a fireplace and an electric heater and windows all around."

I believe that with this documentation, we can safely say that the photo shows Arthur in front of 323 Tophet during the time that it was being remodeled.

This is a link to an aerial satellite view of the property today: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=323+tophet+r...=1&ct=image

This post has been edited by Mezzo: Aug 18 2008, 01:16 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File arthur_miller_roxbury_1958.jpg ( 58.01K )Number of downloads: 125

+Quote Post
chris
post Aug 18 2008, 07:07 PM
Post #6
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I've this book and sorry but for me the picture is from the first home Look at the windows and to the roofIt's not the same than the second houseChrisYou can also read the description of the two houses on Timebends and ...ChrisThe first house with a picture and a date

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Aug 18 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #7
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

With all due respect, Chris, I urge you to look at photo #12 in the Arthur Miller gallery at the following link:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/flash...05-02-11_miller[code][/code]
This photo shows Arthur Miller and Inge Morath in front of his Roxbury farm in 1975 (323 Tophet Road, which is the second home he owned on Tophet Road and the one purchased by Marilyn in 1958 after Arthur sold the other farm; he took sole possession of this home in their divorce.) I think you will see that the three large sliding doors in the 1975 photo are the same as those in the photo of Arthur in front of the house with construction materials in the yard. The front arched porch in the 1956 photos does not match the 1975 photo, and the 1956 photo shows the home extending to the right beyond the edge of the front porch. The 1975 photo matches the construction photo, with the posts for the porch ending at the edge of the building. I hope this helps.

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Aug 20 2008, 02:39 AM
Post #8
Daisy

Group Icon

Thank you Mary for that link. I love the Miller photos. Especially of MM and their home. Thanks. I must say, it saddens me so to see that life indeed does go on and Miller sits there all so happy with his new wife right at the home Marilyn bought for them. Kills me.

This post has been edited by Nettie: Nov 10 2009, 02:20 AM

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Aug 20 2008, 12:43 PM
Post #9
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

You're welcome, Nereida. I wish that Marilyn had attained some enduring happiness in the house, and it also saddens me to see Arthur sitting there with Inge, big grins on their faces. It looks like a beautiful home. However, her giving it to Arthur is another example of Marilyn's generosity, and the fact that money and material possessions didn't mean anything to her.

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Aug 20 2008, 08:35 PM
Post #10
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Okay, not to beat a dead horse, but I have found an error in the Roxbury address as it was published in the Gottfried biography of Arthur Miller. While Gottfried specifically states the home's address at 323 Tophet Road, upon doing a little research, I find that the address is 232. Could the first house, owned by Arthur Miller during his marriage to Mary Slattery, be at 323? I don't know. The two Miller farms have been described as being adjacent to one another. Arthur's death certificate and registration with the Democratic party list his address as 232 Tophet Road. Haspiel's 1991 book states that he was invited to Arthur's farm, located at Goldmine and Old Tophet Roads, (Roxbury #1) on June 29, 1956. He also indicates that in early 1957, Marilyn and Arthur bought 'the old Leavenworth farm' on School House Road in Roxbury (Roxbury #2.) Schoolhouse Road intersects with Tophet Road at 232 Tophet.

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Aug 26 2008, 02:18 AM
Post #11
Daisy

Group Icon

I am really interested in her homes, etc. I keep longing for more pictures of them. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

+Quote Post
chris
post Aug 26 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #12
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

It will be excellent if you can get more details about the 2 houses Maybe with picturesThanks Mezzo for the informationChrisDo you have picture with Arthur's death certificate and of a registration at a Democratic PartyThanksChris

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Aug 26 2008, 08:39 PM
Post #13
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

This is the only copy of AM's death certificate that I have seen; it is poor quality and small. It is available on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Arthur-Miller-DEATH-CE...bayphotohosting
Attached File 924d_1.jpg ( 26.55K )Number of downloads: 107

The following information is taken from http://www.accuracyproject.org/cbe-Miller,Arthur.html:
Arthur Miller was a Pulitzer Prize, multi-Tony and multi-Emmy award-winning American writer/playwright of Death of a Salesman and The Crucible fame. He was also the husband of iconic sex symbol Marilyn Monroe.

Biographical fast facts
Full or original name at birth: Arthur Asher Miller

Date, time and place of birth: October 17, 1915, at 5:12 a.m., at 45 West 110th Street, Apartment 6B, Harlem, New York City, New York, U.S.A.

Date, time, place and cause of death: February 10, 2005, at 9:17 p.m., at 232 Tophet Road, Roxbury, Connecticut, U.S.A. (Heart failure)

The following information is taken from the Amston listing of Professional Writers and Translators at http://www.looboo.com/list/US/CT/Amston/writer:
MILLER ARTHUR 232 TOPHET RD

Here is the information regarding AM's contribution to Democrats for America's Future, which was released by the Internal Revenue Service; it was found at projects.publicintegrity.org/527/handler-download.aspx?act=totcon&cycle=2004&id=208 - 101k - :
9558168 2004 20040401 20040630 Q2 215019 364525610 Democrats for America's Future Arthur Miller 232 Tophet Road Roxbury CT 06783 Information Requested from Contributor Information Requested from Contributor 250 250

If you google "Arthur Miller 232 Tophet Road" you should find the same information.

This post has been edited by Mezzo: Aug 26 2008, 08:42 PM

+Quote Post
chris
post Aug 27 2008, 11:36 AM
Post #14
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Many thanks
You are the best
Chris

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Aug 27 2008, 12:29 PM
Post #15
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

You're welcome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) I'm glad we could figure it out.
I'm looking forward to seeing any pictures that Nettie is able to take in Connecticut. I find it very interesting to see what Marilyn was able to accomplish in her short life; the size of the Miller estate is surprising to me and the renovations to the home were considerable, I think.

I have also found some articles about their summer home rental in Amagansett on DansHamptons.com. Just google "DansHamptons Marilyn Monroe Arthur Miller," and you'll find bits of information about the two summers they spent there in the house on Hamlin Lane. For example, on July 18, 2008, he wrote, "That includes Marilyn Monroe, who spent two years married to and living with playwright Arthur Miller on Hamlin Lane in Amagansett..." I don't know if you're as interested in this, Chris, but I think it's fun to find and read these little gems.

+Quote Post
chris
post Aug 28 2008, 06:58 PM
Post #16
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Thanks Mary I'll have a look on internet for Amagansett

Chris

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Aug 28 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #17
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Good luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Aug 29 2008, 05:32 AM
Post #18
Daisy

Group Icon

I found these interesting to see.

This post has been edited by Nettie: Dec 31 2012, 03:05 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File 1963._Roxbury__Connecticut.__Arthur_MILLER_and_Alexander_CALDER..jpg ( 38.62K )Number of downloads: 103
Attached File 1963._Roxbury__CT._The_studio_of_playwright_Arthur_MILLER..jpg ( 29.11K )Number of downloads: 85
Attached File 1996.__Roxbury__CT._Playwright_Arthur_Miller_at_home_in_his_kitchen..jpg ( 34.06K )Number of downloads: 93
Attached File NYC13074.jpg ( 78.99K )Number of downloads: 52
Attached File movie__Plain_Jane__Roxbury_4.jpg ( 50.34K )Number of downloads: 104

+Quote Post
chris
post Sep 12 2008, 04:59 PM
Post #19
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Thanks for all the pictures
I hope that Nettie could get pictures of the Miller's property
For Amagansett I can't find picture of the house except one
Chris

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Sep 13 2008, 06:26 AM
Post #20
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Chris, here's some info I found about the Amagansett rental:
"Soon after returning to the States, Monroe called her husband in a fit of desperation one day: "I want to live quietly in the country, Papa! I just want to be there when you need me. I just can't fight for myself any more," she cried. It was at this moment, according to his memoirs, that Miller realized how fragile his new wife truly was. Madly infatuated with the child-like siren, however, he acknowledged it all with devotion and an almost inflated sense of duty:

"I saw suddenly that I was all she had...We would start a new and real life together. We were two parts of the same-sensuous, life-loving but with a center of tragedy. The best of her was in my eyes, and now I know all her hope was there with me," Miller reminisced.

After her pleas, the pair decided to take "an extended honeymoon" and rented the Amagansett farmhouse from friend Joe Potter. During the ensuing months, Marilyn was almost merry, serene, and very much in love. The couple was unashamedly physical, according to friends, always touching and caressing each other. In a letter, she recalled fond memories of surf-casting and listening to Sinatra records with Miller on gray afternoons, motoring around with Hugo, the Basset Hound, and cooking pasta from scratch, which she dried with a hairdryer. When he "talked theater" with the boys, she curled up and listened quietly.

...A few surviving locals recall the couple during those summers, like a former lifeguard who dug her jeep out of the beach on occasion and the owner of White's Pharmacy who witnessed her frequent trips to the make-up counter, how the star sat in that chair applying products like a girl in dress-up. Another woman recalls knocking on their door at the age of 12 to find an eager Marilyn in her dark sunglasses and a bathrobe. Monroe came outside and chatted gregariously, happily absorbing the attention, until Arthur ordered her inside with a stern voice. "Okay, Papa," she replied with childlike resignation.

...Their Amagansett farmhouse is now three times its original size, and Monroe's bathroom remains exactly as it was when the couple rented it. The clawfoot bathtub and vanity table are just as she left them, although the "icehouse" has been converted into a sauna. (Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger spent their happier domestic days right next door, at a house on the same estate. They too couldn't brave their very public marriage and have since split.) In the dining room there are three framed photographs on the wall-also Sam Shaw originals-that were taken during their Amagansett chapter. In the photographs, Marilyn is playful and sun-kissed, smiling at Arthur here, phone in hand there, and frolicking in the frothy waters of Asparagus Beach.

Despite the acrimonious split, their time together in Amagansett stayed with Miller-the house, a relic of a happy, albeit short-lived, domestic life, appeared as a backdrop in his plays. Right before his death in 2005, he requested his son drive him back to Amagansett and down the oak-lined Hammill Lane, to the site of the weather-worn cottage to which he escaped with Marilyn some 50 years earlier. "Whenever there was a mild moment of despair in my life, all I needed was to get in my car and drive to Amagansett," wrote Miller at the end of his life. "...Drive past the Potter Farm and then home. Then I am new and whole."

But Arthur didn't go inside the house when he returned; he didn't knock on the door. Rumor has it he just perched outside by the old Oaks, staring at the property where the couple found happiness for the last time."
Attached File amagansett.jpg ( 37.08K )Number of downloads: 132

The photo on the left is captioned as, "Far From the Madding Crowd Miller and Monroe outside their rental house at Stony Hill Farm, Amagansett. They were described as unabashedly physical and very much in love during this time. " The second photo is captioned as, "Home Body Shaw captures Marilyn on the phone at their rental cottage on Hammill Lane, Amagansett, in 1957."

-information taken from 8/1/08 http://www.danshamptons.com/content/hampto...8/aug_1/03.html

And:
"Living in New York City, the couple rented a simple farmhouse on the Stony Hill Farm then owned by the Potter family for the 1957-58 seasons. The home was about 1,500 sq. ft. at the time, perched on a hill laden with old white oak trees, with a pleasant view of the pastures below. Today, the first home in that pleasant view belongs to Alec Baldwin.

So blissful was that time, that Marilyn called herself MMM for Marilyn Monroe Miller. She was often seen driving her black, 1956 Thunderbird convertible around town with Hugo, the pet Basset Hound she and Arthur kept both in the Hamptons and in the city. No one can say for sure if they also brought their pet parakeet, "Butch," out for the summer, but, most likely, they did. Arthur enjoyed driving his Jaguar, although, after the rain, it was a bit testy to drive on the still unpaved Stony Hill Road. Marilyn prepared for the movie Some Like It Hot while spending the summer in the Hamlin Lane Farmhouse. Sam Shaw took snappy photos of Marilyn, phone in hand, looking every bit the woman she was. In fact, the very small school desk where Marilyn sat in those photos is still in the house, now owned by Joe and Lucy Kazickas, who were kind enough to give me a tour of the farmhouse recently. Now, the farmhouse is more than three times its original 1,500 sq. ft. and the Monroe-Miller bedroom is a guest bedroom. The Monroe-Miller bathtub still remains in the bathroom next to the guest room. The original space that was the farmhouse kitchen is more of a mudroom space, with the original back door still there. At the time, there was a wood-burning stove in the house — the beautiful, wide-planked pine floors are still there. In the corner of the Kazickas' dining room is a framed collection of three Sam Shaw photographs of Marilyn seated in the corner of the very same room. In the photos, her foot is inches away from a pine knot in the floor that is still there today. The icehouse that the simple farmhouse had, has been converted into a deluxe sauna with showers and a seating area with a television. In the back of the home, the magnificent old white oaks still shade the summer sun as they did for Marilyn, Arthur and Hugo. In some Sam Shaw photos, Marilyn poses among the oak trees, which, in all these years, have changed very little from the dignified presence they were 50 years ago." -T.J. Clemente

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2019 - 05:41 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.