Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Mmm Girl
Share |
Tara
post Oct 6 2008, 05:59 PM
Post #81
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I was born ten years after Marilyn Monroe died, and still can’t remember the first time I saw a photograph of her. It may have been the famous shot where she’s standing with her hands on her hips, wearing a gold lamé dress against a dark background. She was luminous and magical, like a goddess, but the expression on her glossy red lips was hard to decipher. There was something distant and sad, yet also very innocent about her.

An interview with me appears in the latest issue of Club Passion Marilyn, an excellent French magazine, edited by longtime ES member Chris. If you would like to join the club, please visit their website here

Best wishes,
Tara
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tara
post Dec 14 2008, 08:11 PM
Post #82
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

“In ‘The Mmm Girl’, Tara Hanks resists the temptation to make Monroe into a strong woman as we today would understand the term, and thereby gives us a far more believable and affecting heroine…no mean feat when time and legend have transformed her into a goddess made of celluloid and rhinestones…“ - Faye L. Booth, author of 'Cover The Mirrors', reviews 'The Mmm Girl' - read more

Also, an interview with me has been published in a respected literary journal, January Magazine - read more

+Quote Post
Mezzo
post Dec 15 2008, 01:36 AM
Post #83
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Yay, Tara! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

+Quote Post
Tara
post Dec 15 2008, 12:17 PM
Post #84
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Demos Kratos
post Dec 18 2008, 01:57 AM
Post #85
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

Nice one - I must pick up this book (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

+Quote Post
Tara
post Feb 16 2009, 08:57 PM
Post #86
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

The Mmm Girl has left an indelible series of images in my memory..this novel is more accurate, in many ways, than anything else that has been written about Marilyn and it is the only book to ever leave me with a lasting impression of the loneliness and desperation of her real life.”

Stuart P. Coates, author of Norma Jeane’s Wishes In Time

Read his full review here

Visit Stuart's website here

+Quote Post
Tara
post Mar 22 2009, 04:56 PM
Post #87
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Hi everyone,

I have recently merged my main website with my blog. So you can now find everything in one place, and my domain name has been changed to http://tarahanks.com. The older, .org address remains open until July, and will redirect all visitors to here. (So if you’re currently linking to my old website, please update - thanks in advance!)

Coming soon are more articles, on Marilyn and other subjects - and, after many months of research, I started writing my third novel last November - so that is keeping me busy.

Hope you like the new look and, as always, thanks for reading!

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 15 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #88
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Hi everyone,

The Mmm Girl will making an appearance on the brand new Writers' Hub programme, broadcast this Sunday on Radio Reverb. An extract from The Mmm Girl will be read, by an American which is just how it should be heard. You'll also be able to hear me reading a new poem on the subject of festival.

Radio Reverb is a local Brighton station (97.2 fm) but if you're not in the area, you can listen online here. Writers' Hub, presented by Amy Riley aka Miss Scribbler airs from 13:00-14:00 this Sunday, EST.

I will try and record the program and add to the media section of my website, so please do check back... http://tarahanks.com/media/

+Quote Post
breakinglass
post May 30 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #89
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I just started "The MMM Girl'! I am not very far into it yet, but mighty excited about it. I had seen it pop up when scrolling Marilyn books on amazon, but Melinda's podcast with your interview is actually what grabbed my interest further.

I also agree with the other comments on the cover image, I do think it's a really strong choice.

Looking forward to enjoying this book!

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 31 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #90
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I hope you enjoy it Liz! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)

+Quote Post
breakinglass
post Jun 15 2009, 07:17 PM
Post #91
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

I just finished Tara, you get my whole-hearted thumbs up!

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 15 2009, 08:17 PM
Post #92
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Thanks Liz!

+Quote Post
SugarKane78
post Jan 17 2010, 04:56 PM
Post #93
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

OMG I can't wait to get this book! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif)

+Quote Post
Maneki Neko
post Nov 22 2010, 11:29 PM
Post #94
Wild hearts run out of time

Group Icon

I have always preferred to read facts rather than fiction, so a novel about Marilyn normally wouldn't interest me much. Some people have asked me if I have read Blonde and they seem a little surprised when I say that I haven't. But a book like that is hardly on top of my list of books to read. However, after reading some very positive reviews about The Mmm Girl I decided to give it a chance.

First of all I have to say that it didn't feel like reading a novel at all. Since the story is so close to the known facts it felt much more like I was reading a biography. And a very good one, I might add. People who know little about Marilyn could actually learn a lot about her from this book. I also didn't feel like I was just reading what Tara imagined that Marilyn would think. It was more like it was Marilyn herself who was telling these things, and that really impressed me.

I often feel that when Marilyn's story is being told it is all a bit too depressing, like there wasn't a single happy moment in her whole life and her death was completely inevitable. To me she isn't just some tragic figure that we should just feel sorry for and nothing else. I think that she was a strong, intelligent, caring and talented woman who worked very hard to improve herself. This is the woman that I feel you get to know in this book and I thought that was wonderful.

I found the way some of the tragic events in Marilyn's life was written to be very moving, like when she lost her babies and when Tippy got killed. Even though I have read about the incident with Mr. Kimmel several times before I have never felt as disgusted as when I read about it in this book because of all the details. And of course there is Marilyn's death which I also think was very well written. Those last few sentences was really hard to read.

As you probaly can tell by now I really enjoyed this book and recommend everybody to read it, even if you are like me and not that interested in reading novels. Great work, Tara! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

+Quote Post
MarilynIloveU
post Sep 21 2012, 04:05 PM
Post #95
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

Is there any plans for this book to be released on Kindle?

+Quote Post
Tara
post Sep 21 2012, 08:33 PM
Post #96
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(MarilynIloveU @ Sep 21 2012, 04:05 PM) *
Is there any plans for this book to be released on Kindle?

Hello, thanks for asking. This is something I've been looking into, and will let you know on this thread when it happens... (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

+Quote Post
Tara
post Nov 12 2012, 01:51 PM
Post #97
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Hi everyone,

I'm proud to tell you that my novel about Marilyn, The Mmm Girl, will celebrate her fifth birthday on November 30th. If you don't have a copy already, it might be the ideal Christmas present for yourself or someone you love.

As my current publisher will sadly be closing in January 2013, this will also be your last chance to get your hands on a first edition paperback. However, I am currently in talks with another publisher and hope to bring out a digital edition next year.

Kind regards,
Tara Hanks

+Quote Post
Tara
post Mar 22 2015, 04:20 PM
Post #98
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Hi everyone,

It has been a while but I'm back. Those of you who follow ES Updates will have seen my posts there. But I have some good news - The Mmm Girl is back in print, and on Kindle too, with a new cover and some additional material. More details here.

I'm not here just to promote myself, though. I look forward to catching up with you all!

Tara
Attached File(s)
Attached File The_Mmm_Girl_Cover_for_Kindle.jpg ( 277.67K )Number of downloads: 11

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2019 - 08:19 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.