Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> We're In Deep Trouble, Hosting is about to expire
Share |
mels
post Jun 20 2007, 09:12 AM
Post #1
Isn't it delicious?

Group Icon

Dear Marilyn admirers,

I received bad news yesterday from our host over at fan-sites.org. As you all know ES uses a LOT of resources server wise (mainly bandwith) and it has a cost. From day one, our host has been generous enough to handle all the costs by herself, using the ads such as the one you see at the top of the forum to earn money from this.
Day after day, her hosting network became really big and ES now costs much more than she earns. Therefore, she had to let us go away. I have one month to find a way to host this site.

It means I have to buy a dedicated server (which obviously costs money...), to administrate it (which I can't do, but I need to find the time to), to backup several Go by FTP (glups), reupload and test everything.
And of course, in the middle of this all... I am moving to another country, changing jobs and all.

I have 4 weeks to move the site and host it elswhere, but I'm afraid this won't be possible for me. There will more likely be a cut for some weeks, the time for me to move to Switzerland, and get a bit of extra money because obviously moving out will cost a LOT.

I just wanted you guys to know about it ASAP.

Hugs

Mels
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lacrymosa
post Jun 20 2007, 09:58 AM
Post #2
Only happy in the sun

Group Icon

Can't you move it temporary on a free host (like Free) and use PhpBB ?

This post has been edited by Lacrymosa: Jun 20 2007, 09:58 AM

+Quote Post
mels
post Jun 20 2007, 11:38 AM
Post #3
Isn't it delicious?

Group Icon

I could put up something temporary but I would loose all the members data (login/pw), posts, and images... Moreover I'm not positive that Free can handle the bandwith that we use here (32794.20 Megabytes this month (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) , and the month is far from being over)
Reason for edit: Edited cause I can't write

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 20 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #4
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Mels, is there anything we can do to help? I'd be lost without ES! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

+Quote Post
~TheGirl~
post Jun 20 2007, 01:32 PM
Post #5
♥Marilyn Forever♥

Group Icon

O no this is awful (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/sadballerina.gif)

I'd also be so lost without ES, I'm with Tara is there anything we can do?

x

+Quote Post
Robby
post Jun 20 2007, 02:26 PM
Post #6
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Oh.My.God ... I really hope we can do something, I would really die if ES was gone (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/no.gif) !

+Quote Post
mels
post Jun 20 2007, 03:23 PM
Post #7
Isn't it delicious?

Group Icon

I'm not sure... I'm open to hosts names though, if you have any. Here's what we would need :

- dedicated server running with linux / apache / mysql
- unlimited bandwith
- at least 100 Gb of space
- cheap (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes1.gif)

I'm likely to go with ovh because I know them well and we have a server over there at work, plus their prices are okay, around 60 €/month for what I need. I should be capable of affording this once I move to Switzerland but in the meantime I can't pay for that, all my money goes to moving out and getting all my stuff from Bordeaux to Lausanne... long distance = expensive.

Would a temp. forum be okay for you, like Lacrymosa suggested ?

I'm open to all ideas and suggestions (and hugs too !)

Mels

+Quote Post
Robby
post Jun 20 2007, 03:37 PM
Post #8
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

A temporarely forum would be okay for me. But does that mean when we have the 'new' (not the temporarely one, but really a new one) that everything we have posted here is gone?

Hugs to you too!

This post has been edited by Robby: Jun 20 2007, 03:47 PM

+Quote Post
dwane
post Jun 20 2007, 03:40 PM
Post #9
I'm trying so hard...

Group Icon

this is awful! i'd be lost without ES!

something's got to be done...

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jun 20 2007, 03:45 PM
Post #10
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(mels @ Jun 20 2007, 03:23 PM) [snapback]136726[/snapback]
I'm open to all ideas and suggestions (and hugs too !)

Mels

Hugs to you dear Mels! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/hug.gif) I would be happy with a temporary forum, but I don't want to lose this one.

+Quote Post
Nancy
post Jun 20 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #11
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

My heart is seriously breaking. This is the best forum ever, and I love everyone here. I don't know what I'd do without ES. I am okay with the idea of a temp forum. It would be such a loss though if we had to lose everything in the database. This place is a treasure trove!

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Jun 20 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #12
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Here are some free web servers listings (don't know if this helps)...

http://www.freewebspace.net/php/search.php...ype=REG&a=1
http://www.9999mb.com/

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Jun 20 2007, 04:56 PM

+Quote Post
Lacrymosa
post Jun 20 2007, 06:08 PM
Post #13
Only happy in the sun

Group Icon

We can't live without ES.. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/no.gif)
There is no way to save the database ?

This post has been edited by Lacrymosa: Jun 20 2007, 06:08 PM

+Quote Post
njsp1921
post Jun 20 2007, 07:16 PM
Post #14
Super admirer

Group Icon

i am very ignorant when it comes to all the technical stuff----but i sure hope someone can find a way to keep this incredible site going.

+Quote Post
mmcollector
post Jun 20 2007, 07:21 PM
Post #15
ES.net Sponsor

Group Icon

Would the current sponsor continue to host ES.net if donations were taken from members? How much money would be needed to keep the site where it is? If enough donations were gathered, and the current sponsor would continue to host, ES.net would not have to be moved and there would be no interruption to service.

I'd be willing to donate funds to keep ES.net alive as is.

+Quote Post
mels
post Jun 21 2007, 08:17 AM
Post #16
Isn't it delicious?

Group Icon

To everyone: thanks for your replies and support. I'm going to try to answer all questions.

QUOTE(Robby @ Jun 20 2007, 04:37 PM) [snapback]136729[/snapback]
A temporarely forum would be okay for me. But does that mean when we have the 'new' (not the temporarely one, but really a new one) that everything we have posted here is gone?

Hugs to you too!

No, my goal is to save the current database and files and move them elsewhere.
Since this one is so big there might be incidents in the process, but I will do all what's in my power to import everything on the new hosting.
What I can't do is import everything on the temporary one (we're wayyy too big and heavy for free sites).

QUOTE(meganmarilyn @ Jun 20 2007, 05:53 PM) [snapback]136741[/snapback]
Here are some free web servers listings (don't know if this helps)...

http://www.freewebspace.net/php/search.php...ype=REG&a=1
http://www.9999mb.com/

Thank you Megan. I will take a look and see what are the technical definitions. As we use an awfull lot of resources it is possible that we don't fit into free hosting plans. But I'll definitely have a look (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

QUOTE(Lacrymosa @ Jun 20 2007, 07:08 PM) [snapback]136750[/snapback]
We can't live without ES.. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/no.gif)
There is no way to save the database ?

See my reply above. There totally is but there is no garanty that the import to the new host goes all smoothly :(

QUOTE(mmcollector @ Jun 20 2007, 08:21 PM) [snapback]136757[/snapback]
Would the current sponsor continue to host ES.net if donations were taken from members? How much money would be needed to keep the site where it is? If enough donations were gathered, and the current sponsor would continue to host, ES.net would not have to be moved and there would be no interruption to service.

I'd be willing to donate funds to keep ES.net alive as is.

This is definitely a good question. The problem is that our current sponsor is losing money over their hosting activity. They need to get rid of two servers, which means getting rid of hostees that use too many resources and aren't fit for this type of hosting. Giving money to them would probably help temporarly (though I have no clue re. the amount she would need) but it wouldn't be long term.

I'll keep you guys updated if I find anything interesting !

Mels

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Jun 21 2007, 09:13 AM
Post #17
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

As for storage, I notice that here alot of the same pics members are reuploading over and over, especially in the Marilyn rare pics posts. Since it is tough to know if a particular photo has been already uploaded.

I think no matter which forum we turn to, there should be a better system for organizing pics. Obvious it would save and free up valuable space. Something like instead of just 'Pictures' and then sub categories of 'rare', 'specific', 'public'. It would in my opinion to put in a years format. Something like 1945...1946...1947, etc. And then under that, you would see the sub folders for whatever, like 'photographers', or 'specific', 'public', etc.

My thoughts. That's how I have been organizing all my pics. Using dates. Year...month...day, etc.

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Jun 21 2007, 09:14 AM

+Quote Post
Lacrymosa
post Jun 21 2007, 09:45 AM
Post #18
Only happy in the sun

Group Icon

QUOTE(meganmarilyn @ Jun 21 2007, 10:13 AM) [snapback]136810[/snapback]
I think no matter which forum we turn to, there should be a better system for organizing pics. Obvious it would save and free up valuable space. Something like instead of just 'Pictures' and then sub categories of 'rare', 'specific', 'public'. It would in my opinion to put in a years format. Something like 1945...1946...1947, etc. And then under that, you would see the sub folders for whatever, like 'photographers', or 'specific', 'public', etc.

It could be a good idea but maybe there's a lot of people (like me) who don't know all the dates of the photoshoots.. for the events it's easy to find but more difficult for the photoshoots, don't you think ?

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Jun 21 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #19
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Well, right now we are basically just throwing all the pics together. So anyways, unless you know a photographers name, you won't know what shoot it is or the year anyways. Of course, with the years, it should have a description on what the folder/topic is. Like any thread here. I just think this is a better way to save space, since people are reuploading the same photos over and over. It's not a perfect solution, but at least it's some way to organize pics. Instead of just throwing everthing under 'pictures' and have everyone guessing where and what anyways.

QUOTE(Lacrymosa @ Jun 21 2007, 01:45 AM) [snapback]136811[/snapback]
It could be a good idea but maybe there's a lot of people (like me) who don't know all the dates of the photoshoots.. for the events it's easy to find but more difficult for the photoshoots, don't you think ?

+Quote Post
LostHurlyFan
post Jun 21 2007, 05:32 PM
Post #20
Marilyn Fan Forever

Group Icon

Oh no! I really hope there is A way this could be fixed? I love this group I would hate to lose it. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/cry.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2019 - 12:38 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.