Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Marilyn's Clothes & Costumes
Share |
mberton
post Nov 3 2013, 08:00 AM
Post #81
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

QUOTE(meganmarilyn @ Nov 3 2013, 06:52 AM) *
Well, she was wearing it early 1950, by the time she made the Asphalt Jungle for MGM. Then she is seen wearing it in 1951, promoting As Young As You Feel for 20th Century Fox. So I don't think it was a studio item, but her personal clothing. And if it was known to be hers, why would it be altered? That's why I think this one being shown now is not the real thing.

I agree with you Megan that this white dress from early 1950 is likely to be a fake. Its condition is too good to be 60-odd years old - no yellowing on the fabric or holes or tears etc.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Nov 3 2013, 08:30 AM
Post #82
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(mberton @ Nov 3 2013, 12:00 AM) *
I agree with you Megan that this white dress from early 1950 is likely to be a fake. Its condition is too good to be 60-odd years old - no yellowing on the fabric or holes or tears etc.

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/throb.gif)

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Nov 3 2013, 09:06 AM

+Quote Post
Celia
post Nov 3 2013, 12:43 PM
Post #83
Celia

Group Icon

Yes, it is most likely a fake. And besides it has four upper holes or whatever it is called, whilst Marilyn´s had only three.

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Nov 3 2013, 04:34 PM
Post #84
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

QUOTE(Celia @ Nov 3 2013, 03:43 AM) *
Yes, it is most likely a fake. And besides it has four upper holes or whatever it is called, whilst Marilyn´s had only three.

You are right, MM's dress had 3 holes, not 4. Great work!!

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Nov 3 2013, 04:46 PM

+Quote Post
mberton
post Nov 3 2013, 08:20 PM
Post #85
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

Yes Celia - great spotting! I've also looked at close-ups of Marilyn wearing this dress and the bottom hemline is different too. It's wider on Marilyn's.

Back to that ballerina dress - if it was too small for Marilyn there is no reason why she would keep it, right? So I can only assume it went back to Amy, who Lois Banner cites as its owner. I have seen the black cardigan Marilyn wore for another sitting with Milton (also owned by Amy) for sale in an auction catalogue but I'm not sure about the ballerina dress. To me it is not the same garment. There is less tulle and the seams are very evident on the original compared to the one on the website. Plus there was fabric over the tulle. But clothes do get altered ...

This post has been edited by mberton: Nov 3 2013, 08:22 PM

+Quote Post
Paju
post Nov 3 2013, 09:11 PM
Post #86
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

I agree, I don't think it's the original ballerina dress, unless of course some heavy altering was done. The fabric over the tulle, like you mentioned, is the thing that caught my eye right away.

+Quote Post
mberton
post Nov 7 2013, 10:00 PM
Post #87
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

Another dress question. From the Chicago Sun Times: The black sweater dress worn by Marilyn Monroe in January, 1962 when she met Carl Sandburg in Hollywood. It is now housed at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield, Illinois.

Does anyone have a photo of Marilyn and Sandburg at this meeting? The only images I know of are the Weinstein party in January 62 where she is wearing a Pucci dress, possibly the pink one. (The other meeting with Sandburg was in December 61).

Attached File The_black_sweater_dress_worn_by_Marilyn_Monroe_in_January__1962_when_she_met_Carl_Sandburg_in_Hollywood._It_is_now_housed_at_the_Abraham_Lincoln_Presidential_Library_and_Museum_in_Springfield__Illinois.jpg ( 23.82K )Number of downloads: 73

Attached File d45552407867032eb4dfab01f1153181.jpg ( 437.05K )Number of downloads: 89

+Quote Post
Marilyn2Bonnie
post Jan 3 2014, 12:29 PM
Post #88
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

"I LOVE!! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/throb.gif) COLLECTING PICTURES OF MARILYN AND HER CLOTHES AND COSTUMES..BUT SOoo VERY SAD AT THE SAME TIME..
JUST TO SEE THE POOR CONDITION HER THINGS WERE IN..SO HEARTBREAKING!..I ONLY WISH..
MARILYN'S BELONGING WERE PUT IN A HOLLYWOOD MUSEUM.. INSTEAD BEING SOLD ALL OVER THE WORLD IN BITS AND PIECES..
I LOVE HER SO MUCH!"
Attached File 786900.jpg ( 67.89K )Number of downloads: 107

Attached File 786901.png ( 715.27K )Number of downloads: 103

"THIS VIDEO ALWAYS TOUCHES MY HEART" (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/throb.gif)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxObtOQuZPY (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/sadballerina.gif)
"LOVING MARILYN" (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/throb.gif)

+Quote Post
Marilyn2Bonnie
post Jan 23 2014, 12:33 PM
Post #89
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

"I JUST LOVE MARILYN'S BEAUTIFUL OVERCOAT, I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ONE LIKE IT! SOoo BEAUTIFUL!"
AND I PERSONALLY THINK..MARILYN WAS THE QUEEN IN THIS MOVIE, TPATSG, SHE OWNED IT! LOL! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif)
I LOVE THE PICTURES OF MARILYN AND HER CLOTHES AND COSTUMES, GREAT! PICTURES.
LOVING MARILYN (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/throb.gif)
Attached File 50022.jpg ( 114.91K )Number of downloads: 89

+Quote Post
Celia
post Jan 24 2014, 06:54 PM
Post #90
Celia

Group Icon

QUOTE(Marilyn2Bonnie @ Jan 3 2014, 12:29 PM) *
"I LOVE!! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/throb.gif) COLLECTING PICTURES OF MARILYN AND HER CLOTHES AND COSTUMES..BUT SOoo VERY SAD AT THE SAME TIME..
JUST TO SEE THE POOR CONDITION HER THINGS WERE IN..SO HEARTBREAKING!..I ONLY WISH..
MARILYN'S BELONGING WERE PUT IN A HOLLYWOOD MUSEUM.. INSTEAD BEING SOLD ALL OVER THE WORLD IN BITS AND PIECES..
I LOVE HER SO MUCH!"
Attached File 786900.jpg ( 67.89K )Number of downloads: 107

Attached File 786901.png ( 715.27K )Number of downloads: 103

"THIS VIDEO ALWAYS TOUCHES MY HEART" (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/throb.gif)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxObtOQuZPY (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/sadballerina.gif)
"LOVING MARILYN" (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/throb.gif)

Again , that´s not the same bathrob. Look at the collar. I don´t think one can arrange a bathrob so easily, at any rate: what would be the point in arranging a bathrob?? Not the same, definetly

+Quote Post
mberton
post Jan 24 2014, 07:47 PM
Post #91
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

In this case, the auction house has just put a photo of Marilyn in any kind of robe for its catalogue - probably the only photo they could find similar enough to the one being auctioned. If you read the text it says the pink robe was worn during filming of The Prince and the Showgirl (not the white robe worn in the photo session with Milton Greene).

+Quote Post
suusmarie
post Mar 19 2014, 12:57 AM
Post #92
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif)
Attached File(s)
Attached File 1953.05.Eisenstaedt.MMsHome.DohenyDrive.LA.3.11.jpg ( 118.78K )Number of downloads: 71
Attached File 1953.Eisensteadt.BlackTurtleneck_WhitePants.01a.jpg ( 351K )Number of downloads: 82
Attached File 1953.Eisensteadt.BlackTurtleneck_CheckerPants.01a.jpg ( 350.29K )Number of downloads: 71
Attached File GPB.IvorySatinRobe.01a.jpg ( 91.41K )Number of downloads: 65
Attached File GPB.IvorySatinRobe.01.jpg ( 461.5K )Number of downloads: 54
Attached File HTMAM.PinkSatinDress.01a.jpg ( 171.54K )Number of downloads: 50
Attached File HTMAM.PinkSatinDress.01.jpg ( 443.24K )Number of downloads: 83
Attached File 1956.10.11.UK.Premiere.AVFTB.ComedyClub.PinkSatinStole.01a.jpg ( 460.96K )Number of downloads: 50
Attached File 1956.10.11.UK.Premiere.AVFTB.ComedyClub.PinkSatinStole.01.jpg ( 229.2K )Number of downloads: 47
Attached File 1959.03.18.BeigeDress.by.JAX.PromotionTour.SLIH.AmbassadorEastHotel.Chicago.01a.JPG ( 166.81K )Number of downloads: 65
Attached File 1959.03.18.BeigeDress.by.JAX.PromotionTour.SLIH.AmbassadorEastHotel.Chicago.01.jpg ( 169.45K )Number of downloads: 73

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Nov 9 2015, 03:13 PM
Post #93
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

ARTICLE LINK

Outfit worn by Marilyn Monroe in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes to be auctioned in New York - and is expected to fetch a hefty $500,000

* Wool jacket and skirt were worn by Monroe in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

* Outfit will be auctioned in New York on November 23

(9 November 2015)

Diamonds may be a girl's best friend, but this £330,000 jacket and skirt aren't bad either.

The outfit worn by screen siren Marilyn Monroe in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes - the movie that made her a superstar - has emerged for sale with the large price tag.

Monroe donned the grey wool jacket and skirt in one of the most famous scenes of the 1953's film, which was nominated for Best Written Musical Writers in the Guild of America Awards.

Starring alongside Jane Russell, Monroe played Lorelei Lee, a diamond-obsessed showgirl who travels to France to wed her rich fiancé only to find his father has stepped in to block their marriage.

Monroe wears the outfit in the scene in which Lorelei and Russell's character Dorothy arrive in Paris and go shopping, only to find out she had been cut off from her lover's fortune.

The pair then sing the number When Love Goes Wrong in a sidewalk cafe.

Producers had initially intended Betty Grable to star in the film but plumped for starlet Monroe because her salary was ten times less that of her counterpart.
The film was a huge hit, and was the ninth most successful movie of 1953. It gave the classic song Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend.

On the back of the film's success Monroe and Russell were invited to have their hands and feet cast in cement outside the famous Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.

That same year Monroe appeared on the cover of Photoplay and received its Fastest Rising Star award, and also starred on the cover of the inaugural issue of Playboy.

The outfit was sold by production company 20th Century Fox to fellow screen star Debbie Reynolds in 1971 and she in turn sold it to the current owner in 2000.

The costume is now set to fetch $500,000 - around £330,000 - at an auction held by Bonhams.

Catherine Williamson, head of entertainment auctions at Bonhams, said: 'This is a grey travelling suit that Marilyn Monroe wears for a long period of time in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

'In the movie the characters played by Monroe and Jane Russell go on a shopping spree in Paris and she wears the outfit in this scene.

'It's a long song-and-dance sequence where the two realise they've been financially cut off from their patron and she wears it throughout.

'The suit was made by 20th Century Fox's costume department and it was in their archive until 1971 when it was sold to Debbie Reynolds.

'It was part of Debbie's collection until 2000 and then consigned to Butterfield and Butterfield auctioneers and it was sold to the present owner.

'There is a very clear chain of ownership which is fantastic, and it's in really great shape.

'Monroe was a rising star in the years before this film but Gentlemen Prefer Blondes was really her first blockbuster.

'It was the film that made her a mega star. Every dress she wore in this movie is famous but this one is timeless.'

The auction will be held in New York on November 23.

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Nov 9 2015, 03:14 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File mm001.jpg ( 135.25K )Number of downloads: 32
Attached File mm002.jpg ( 88.63K )Number of downloads: 51
Attached File mm003.jpg ( 47.03K )Number of downloads: 47
Attached File mm004.jpg ( 102.05K )Number of downloads: 38

+Quote Post
Natalie
post Dec 11 2015, 09:27 PM
Post #94
...I could have loved you once and even said it...

Group Icon

I noticed that in this thread some were asking about Marilyn's red rhinestoned shoes. I have always wondered about these too. I have still yet to find a photo of her actually wearing them. She did not wear them in the Milton Greene red sitting or in the Avedon Clara Bow session. I'm including close ups of the shoes she did wear and you can see they are different. In the Milton sitting, her shoes appear to be smooth red leather. In the Avedon session, they are smooth red but appear to have contrasting stones only on the toes. I wonder what happened to those shoes! I wish we could get a more detailed look at them!

The best I can come up with (and this is only a theory) is that the shoes in question were a gift from Ferragamo and she never wore them (at least not at a time she was photographed) They are similar to the bejeweled shoes she wore in Let's Make Love and I believe those were by Ferragamo as well though I am not 100% sure. Maybe he simply gifted her with the red pair? Still they were so fantastic, it seems hard to believe she would never have posed wearing them!

Marilyn's bejeweled Ferragamos:
Attached File Ferragamo_Ruby_Heels3.jpg ( 27.63K )Number of downloads: 48

Attached File Ferragamo_Ruby_Heels.jpg ( 111.17K )Number of downloads: 43

Shoes from the Clara Bow costume:
Attached File Avedon_Shoes.jpg ( 156.04K )Number of downloads: 58

Attached File Avedon_Shoes2.jpg ( 37.15K )Number of downloads: 58

Attached File Avedon_shoes3.jpg ( 66.57K )Number of downloads: 55

Close up of the Milton Greene Red shoes:
Attached File Milton_Shoes.jpg ( 121.79K )Number of downloads: 56

This post has been edited by Natalie: Dec 11 2015, 09:28 PM

+Quote Post
Natalie
post Dec 12 2015, 04:10 PM
Post #95

Group Icon

Anello & Davide Platforms
Attached File Anello___Davide_Platforms.jpg ( 34.14K )Number of downloads: 41
Attached File 75806937.jpg ( 44.22K )Number of downloads: 50

Gold Sandals
Attached File Korea_Heels.jpg ( 69.85K )Number of downloads: 18

+Quote Post
mmcollector
post Dec 12 2015, 09:13 PM
Post #96
ES.net Sponsor

Group Icon

There is some evidence that Marilyn ordered quite a few pair of shoes from Ferragamo. See attached receipt.Attached File MTIwOTA5ODUzNzA2Mjg2MTEw.jpg ( 45.29K )Number of downloads: 51

QUOTE(Natalie @ Dec 11 2015, 12:27 PM) *
I noticed that in this thread some were asking about Marilyn's red rhinestoned shoes. I have always wondered about these too. I have still yet to find a photo of her actually wearing them. She did not wear them in the Milton Greene red sitting or in the Avedon Clara Bow session. I'm including close ups of the shoes she did wear and you can see they are different. In the Milton sitting, her shoes appear to be smooth red leather. In the Avedon session, they are smooth red but appear to have contrasting stones only on the toes. I wonder what happened to those shoes! I wish we could get a more detailed look at them!

The best I can come up with (and this is only a theory) is that the shoes in question were a gift from Ferragamo and she never wore them (at least not at a time she was photographed) They are similar to the bejeweled shoes she wore in Let's Make Love and I believe those were by Ferragamo as well though I am not 100% sure. Maybe he simply gifted her with the red pair? Still they were so fantastic, it seems hard to believe she would never have posed wearing them!

Marilyn's bejeweled Ferragamos:
Attached File Ferragamo_Ruby_Heels3.jpg ( 27.63K )Number of downloads: 48

Attached File Ferragamo_Ruby_Heels.jpg ( 111.17K )Number of downloads: 43

Shoes from the Clara Bow costume:
Attached File Avedon_Shoes.jpg ( 156.04K )Number of downloads: 58

Attached File Avedon_Shoes2.jpg ( 37.15K )Number of downloads: 58

Attached File Avedon_shoes3.jpg ( 66.57K )Number of downloads: 55

Close up of the Milton Greene Red shoes:
Attached File Milton_Shoes.jpg ( 121.79K )Number of downloads: 56

+Quote Post
Natalie
post Dec 13 2015, 02:34 AM
Post #97

Group Icon

QUOTE(mmcollector @ Dec 12 2015, 03:13 PM) *
There is some evidence that Marilyn ordered quite a few pair of shoes from Ferragamo. See attached receipt.Attached File MTIwOTA5ODUzNzA2Mjg2MTEw.jpg ( 45.29K )Number of downloads: 51

Yes she owned quite a few pairs. I was just talking about the red jeweled ones specifically. They look very similar to the jeweled ones from Let's Make Love only done in red. I was thinking maybe they were gifted to her at the time those were made because I've never seen any photos of her wearing them and that seemed odd since she was photographed so extensively. It made me think maybe they were a gift and she just never really wore them. I'd love to know the story behind them. They have always caught my attention (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/smile1.gif)

Attached File Ferragamo_Incurably_Romantic_Heels.jpg ( 21.9K )Number of downloads: 22

Attached File Marilyn_Red_Feragamos.jpg ( 55.09K )Number of downloads: 44

Attached File Marilyn_Monroe_White_Heels.jpg ( 25.34K )Number of downloads: 9

Attached File marilyn_monroe_exhibition_50_years.jpg ( 348.01K )Number of downloads: 34

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Aug 27 2016, 09:42 AM
Post #98
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Marilyn Monroe Kimono. Anyone have photo of MM with this?
Attached File(s)
Attached File Kimono_once_worn_by_Marilyn_Monroe.jpg ( 43.86K )Number of downloads: 32

+Quote Post
glaze_p
post Jul 7 2020, 10:05 AM
Post #99
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif)
Attached File(s)
Attached File gettyimages_521283702_2048x2048.jpg ( 996K )Number of downloads: 3
Attached File gettyimages_169619401_2048x2048.jpg ( 632.75K )Number of downloads: 4

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th August 2020 - 02:49 PM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.