Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> List Of Books That Marilyn Read
Share |
Tara
post Nov 28 2006, 08:32 PM
Post #41
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

You're welcome Ellen! I just added Arthur Miller in at the end.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mmfa
post Nov 30 2006, 12:21 PM
Post #42

Group Icon

Thanks Tara for the complete list... (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif) well, almost, if there weren't anymore new discovery of books that Marilyn read...but i print a copy of it where you end. If there was anymore new to add, members feel free to add. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
2Twinkle
post Dec 2 2007, 04:33 AM
Post #43
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

The Vidette-Messenger, Valparaiso, Indiana, 26.01.1954

(IMG:http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a42/S-F1000/miscellaneous/MMDK542601.jpg)

+Quote Post
Margherita
post May 14 2008, 06:56 PM
Post #44
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ Nov 22 2006, 06:41 PM) *
283) Das Kapital by Karl Marx

Don't get hurt now, I love Marilyn and appreciate her enourmously. But what comes to this booklist, I think it's a list of the books she owned, I don't think she had time read them all.

Das Kapital by Karl Marx ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

And James Joyce's Ulysses? I've never met anybody till these days who's been able to read that book, well, maybe Marilyn did, uh...

She had an account in a bookstore in Los Angeles and bought a lot of books. Where does this list come from, is it made by somebody who knew Marilyn closely?

This post has been edited by Ultraviolet: May 14 2008, 08:54 PM

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 14 2008, 07:23 PM
Post #45
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

The list is mostly from Marilyn's own book collection, as catalogued for the Christie's auction. They came from her private estate, or books she herself mentioned reading. I agree she probably didn't read all of them from cover to cover, I certainly haven't read every book on my shelf. But it does give you an insight into the depth of her interest. Arthur Miller said that although she didn't always finish books, she was able to grasp the gist of them very quickly.

+Quote Post
Margherita
post May 14 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #46
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

QUOTE(Tara @ May 14 2008, 07:23 PM) *
The list is mostly from Marilyn's own book collection, as catalogued for the Christie's auction. They came from her private estate, or books she herself mentioned reading. I agree she probably didn't read all of them from cover to cover, I certainly haven't read every book on my shelf. But it does give you an insight into the depth of her interest. Arthur Miller said that although she didn't always finish books, she was able to grasp the gist of them very quickly.

Yes, certainly; thanks Tara for the impressing list. I think that Marilyn read quite many of them, I myself too find it's comforting to have a lot of books around even if there's not allways time to read but parts of them, or grasp through the most interesting parts. I think Marilyn honestly enjoyed the feeling that anytime she could pick up a book she's bought and has been interested of, say for instance, in the silence of the night when one can't get sleep.
And maybe all of those books represented for her also something very different than the Hollywood world and the image she sometimes found heavy to carry (IMG:style_emoticons/default/throb.gif)

+Quote Post
Bobby
post May 14 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #47
That smile...

Group Icon

Only just seen this thread, thank you for posting the list Tara and for your own picks too. I plan to add to my dismal bookshelf with some of those you mentioned.

+Quote Post
Alanma
post May 14 2008, 08:15 PM
Post #48
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I can add two.

'Under Milk Wood' by Dylan Thomas. When Marilyn was at Parkside she enjoyed listening to a radio broadcast of UMW with Richard Burton as the narrator. She told Jack Cardiff about and he bought her a copy.

'The Collected Lakeland Poets' which I gave her.

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 15 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #49
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(Alanma @ May 14 2008, 08:15 PM) *
I can add two.

'Under Milk Wood' by Dylan Thomas. When Marilyn was at Parkside she enjoyed listening to a radio broadcast of UMW with Richard Burton as the narrator. She told Jack Cardiff about and he bought her a copy.

'The Collected Lakeland Poets' which I gave her.

Thanks Alan!

+Quote Post
kittydiaboli
post Mar 7 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #50

Group Icon

What an amazing list!!! Thanks so much for posting it!!!!

+Quote Post
Menna-90
post Apr 30 2010, 02:54 PM
Post #51
Marilyn addict

Group Icon

QUOTE(Ultraviolet @ May 14 2008, 07:56 PM) *
Don't get hurt now, I love Marilyn and appreciate her enourmously. But what comes to this booklist, I think it's a list of the books she owned, I don't think she had time read them all.

Das Kapital by Karl Marx ? (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

And James Joyce's Ulysses? I've never met anybody till these days who's been able to read that book, well, maybe Marilyn did, uh...

She had an account in a bookstore in Los Angeles and bought a lot of books. Where does this list come from, is it made by somebody who knew Marilyn closely?

(IMG:http://www.cup.columbia.edu/media/4527/monroe-blog-2.gif) Marilyn reading Ulysses.

Tara: Thank you for the list of books, youre great! Marilyn had a lot of books.. she loved reading. She was a verry smart woman. So sad almost everyone only saw her as the stupid blonde girl.

+Quote Post
Margherita
post Apr 30 2010, 07:36 PM
Post #52
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

The picture of Marilyn reading that impossibly difficult Ulysses that has given headache for many hard core literature fans, is a good combination. Still, I don't quite yet buy it that she actually read it from beginning till the end. If she did, maybe she would have talked more about this achievement....

Or maybe it's just me that's stupid and not capable of sustained effort (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/juggle.gif)

A really beautiful picture, though, gorgeous !

+Quote Post
Celia
post Jan 8 2011, 05:32 PM
Post #53
Celia

Group Icon

I ´ve re-read Athur Miller´s autobiography recently and he said he never saw her read a book. I found it very impolite of him to state that in his book. The point is, did he bear such a grundge against her that he had to lie, or is it true??
To be honest, I think that he speaks quite badly about her through most of the book.

+Quote Post
Tara
post Jan 14 2011, 02:21 PM
Post #54
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

QUOTE(Celia @ Jan 8 2011, 04:32 PM) *
I ´ve re-read Athur Miller´s autobiography recently and he said he never saw her read a book. I found it very impolite of him to state that in his book. The point is, did he bear such a grundge against her that he had to lie, or is it true??
To be honest, I think that he speaks quite badly about her through most of the book.

I think he meant that she didn't often finish them. It is a somewhat misleading comment, though Miller did add that Marilyn was able to pick up on the essence of a book quite quickly. After reading Fragments it seems clear to me that Marilyn had an appreciation and understanding for literature and ideas, regardless of how many books she read.

+Quote Post
Tara
post May 29 2011, 09:25 AM
Post #55
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

Have now posted the list as a permanent page on the ES Updates blog:

http://blog.everlasting-star.net/marilyn-m...rilyns-library/

+Quote Post
mberton
post Nov 24 2012, 04:34 AM
Post #56
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

Yes Marilyn read a lot but which books were her actual favourites? Have read somewhere that Letters to a Young Poet was a favourite but were there others?

+Quote Post
Considerate
post Jul 5 2013, 06:03 PM
Post #57
It was great so what the hell!!

Group Icon

It was this topic that brought me to Everlasting Star.

Within my collection of Movie Memorabilia, i had purchased an original 'Ladies of The Chorus' stamped photo of our Marilyn ,my first (of many), obtained as a sort of 'capstone' or collection centerpiece....but the Norma Jeane magic (that you all already knew so well) got a hold of me.....

So i read My Story, Michelle Morgan's bio (Private and Confidential), and then the David Marshall (DD group investigation),My Sister Marilyn + Marilyn and Me (my two favorites), Spoto, Guiles, Zolotow.....
I was hooked, maybe even a little bewitched (esp. since previous to this i'd happily read (almost exclusively) science/philosophy texts for 30+years)

Having studied and practiced the 'Alexander Technique' for a decade or so, i was astounded when a search for 'Mans Supreme Inheritance' delivered this link;
Attached File MSI.jpg ( 125.3K )Number of downloads: 126

http://themarilynmonroecollection.com/mari...me-inheritance/
She also owned a copy of 'The Use Of The Self' by F.M.Alexander.

Marilyn just keeps surprising me.
F.M Alexanders books are real hard-reading, and she'd got at least to page 157 ! A mighty effort as any F.M.A 'appreciator' would i'm surely agree.

I desired to collect some books that Marilyn had owned, not the actual books (mostly sold at Christies in '99), but as close to the same published editions.

There was 'that' photo (John Florea - Beverly Carlton c 1951) that showed F.M Alexander`s book M.S.I. alongside others. I loved it.
Attached File MM_Beverly_Carlton1951.jpg ( 82.44K )Number of downloads: 92

The book titles (spines) were hard to read on the google searched images.
I'd seen ES in search results before,but now i saw ES as an M.M. reference site;
http://blog.everlasting-star.net/marilyn-m...rilyns-library/
....then......
I found someone who had a J.Florea original, and had thoughtfully made High Quality copies available. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/dancingmm2_279_203.gif)
I purchased one beautiful print and (after i joined you`all here) the seller was subsequently found to be a member of the ES community !
I had already searched for and ordered several of the titles i'd identified and this ES member was more than helpful in my identification of others.
..... Thanks Jim Parson .....

♥ When i found she had read and loved Mabel Todd - "The Thinking Body", (re; Ralph Roberts Manuscript) i found myself 50+ years later being further enlightened by Marilyn ♥
Attached File Mabel_ToddMarilyn.jpg ( 42.62K )Number of downloads: 113

So now i have collected several books of the same published editions as 'our' Marilyn owned ;

The Thinking Body (1937) (HC Near Mint)
Mans Supreme Inheritance (dust cover intact ! as per photo )
The Red Pony (Steinbeck) in its illustrated sleeve.
Leaves of Grass (illustrated Modern Library)
Songs for Patricia by Norman Rosten (signed)
The Technique of Speech (1909) Dora Duty Jones
The Idiot (Dosytoyevsky) 'A Modern Library Giant' edition
Marilyn Monroe as The Girl
Marilyn Monroe by Maurice Zolotow (1960 near mint)

(plus a gold lamp very similar to that pictured at the Beverly Carlton in '51 for illumination).

Thanks to the ES community.
Let's hold an Everlasting good thought for Norma Jeane.

+Quote Post
mberton
post Jul 6 2013, 12:29 AM
Post #58
Marilyn encyclopedia

Group Icon

Thanks for your story, Grant. Interesting how Marilyn inspires us all in different ways. I too am a book lover and mainly collect books on MM (I have over 100 to date accumulated over the past 20 years) rather than other MM memorabilia. I do have a few books that Marilyn read (not the same editions) but you have now inspired me to find the same editions too and to continue reading what MM found enlightening. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif)

+Quote Post
Roselyn
post Aug 23 2013, 08:11 PM
Post #59

Group Icon

I have two more books to add to her list, that I don`t think are mentioned yet:

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. http://www.thisismarilyn.com/artwork/ladyd...mm-original.jpg

An enemy of the People, Arthur Miller`s adaption of the play by norwegian Henrik Ibsen.

http://mycroft.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2...i0-original.jpg

+Quote Post
Phil Downe
post Jan 26 2014, 07:15 PM
Post #60

Group Icon

QUOTE(mberton @ Jul 5 2013, 07:29 PM) *
Thanks for your story, Grant. Interesting how Marilyn inspires us all in different ways. I too am a book lover and mainly collect books on MM (I have over 100 to date accumulated over the past 20 years) rather than other MM memorabilia. I do have a few books that Marilyn read (not the same editions) but you have now inspired me to find the same editions too and to continue reading what MM found enlightening. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif)

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif) The this might be something both you and Grant would be interested in knowing:

www.marilynsmissingbooks.com

I just had my nephew set it up after I appeared on CBC's Four Rooms with the books.

Cheers from another huge MM fan.

Phil Downe

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2019 - 07:42 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.