Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newspaper Clippings, From daily newspapers. Not magazines.
Share |
LasseK
post Jun 11 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #21
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Ok, now we're in the Summer of 1949.
Marilyn has done her part in "Love Happy" and she and the studio is taking the opportunity to heavily promote her and the picture although her part is very small.
She has also recently, end of May, done the nude calendar shoot, which not yet but in a couple of years, will emerge and make a part of the now eternal Marilyn Monroe legend.

I add a piecee from Nebraska State Journal, Wednesday, June 08, 1949.
As you can see, we get another hint for an approximate date for yet another photo shoot.

Attached File 490608_Nebraska_State_Journal__Lincoln__June_08__1949.jpg ( 97.34K )Number of downloads: 150

I also include two small notes about Marilyn visiting New York in June (publishing dates in file names), by Earl Wilson and Walter Winchell, just to get a confirmation on rough dates for her visit.
Attached File 490627_By_Earl_Wilson_in_NY__Times_Recorder__Zanesville__Ohio__June_27__1949.jpg ( 20.08K )Number of downloads: 112
Attached File 490630_By_Winchell__Daily_Times_News__Burlington__North_Car__June_30__1949.jpg ( 14.76K )Number of downloads: 104

Lasse
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LasseK
post Jun 14 2006, 06:32 PM
Post #22
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

This is a real gem to me.

Late July 1949. Marilyn is in New York on a Love Happy promotion tour/visit.
Media is alerted on her presence and availability. She also does some bathing suit shoots.
The following is, as far as I know, her first interview, done by Earl Wilson, where she by the publicity department is being announced as "The Mmmm Girl".
Attached File 490728_Times_Recorder__The_Zanesville__Ohio__July_28__1949.jpg ( 156.29K )Number of downloads: 161

Enjoy,
Lasse

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Jun 16 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #23
I´ll follow her... always

Group Icon

sorry... what´s "The big town", NYC?

+Quote Post
Paju
post Aug 13 2006, 03:50 PM
Post #24
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

I think "The Big Town" is New York.

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Aug 15 2006, 01:55 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

oh my god, i´m so stupid!!!!!! thanx

+Quote Post
LasseK
post Sep 22 2006, 12:29 PM
Post #26
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Hi again.

Sorry it has taken a while to get back to these early newspaper items.

Anyway, I continue with a few 1949 items, which partly will look familiar to you.

(I might add that the date and other info is included in the file name, which you will notice when you save the articles/pictures.)

1) The first one is from August 17 in the Edwardsville Intelligencer, llinois.
I believe the picture was taken by the legendary photographer WeeGee at the Jones Beach, Long Island in June or July 1949 and it was also published in color in the Roto Magazine and in Sunday Times.
Attached File 490817_Edwardsville_Intelligencer__llinois.jpg ( 307.98K )Number of downloads: 130

2) The second is the perhaps familiar Kyron ad. I have seen it published even in 1950, but this is the earliest date of publication that I have encountered, August 24 1949.
I believe the picture was taken by Laszlo Willinger, who shot quite a number of pictures of Marilyn in late 1940s.
Attached File 490824_Indiana_Evening_Gazette__Pennsylvania.jpg ( 558.73K )Number of downloads: 114

3) The third one is a cute excerpt from a Louella Parsons column October 28 1949.
Marilyn has done her test for director John Huston for the part in Asphalt Jungle and got the part. Maybe they have already started shooting the picture.
Marilyn now has started her relationship with agent Johnny Hyde, who is doing everything he can to help her really get started. It seems that Marilyn feels this part is very important and it will indeed prove to be her first real break, even if it will take another year before she starts to get bigger parts.
Anyway Marilyn immediately calls Louella to hell her how much it means to her and what she feels about it.
Rather touching.
Attached File 491028_By_L_Parsons_Galveston_Daily_News__Texas.jpg ( 64.45K )Number of downloads: 106

Hope you enjoy these early findings as much as I have done in finding them.

I also take the opportunity to thank Roksana, and also Suusmarie for the great, great magazine scans that you have sent to us.

Lasse

+Quote Post
suusmarie
post Sep 23 2006, 01:56 AM
Post #27
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Thanks so much Lasse (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif) !!

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/hug.gif) Suus
Attached File(s)
Attached File mm.WeeGee.JonesBeachPool.LongIsland.01.jpg ( 83.07K )Number of downloads: 79

+Quote Post
LasseK
post Sep 23 2006, 11:44 AM
Post #28
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I'll now briefly jump forward to 1952 with a bit of a "MM scoop" regarding a subject that keeps coming back in various threads.

Most of you have read or heard about Robert "Bob" Slatzer and many also hold strong opinions on this controversial person.

Since I prepared and uploaded the following two newspaper articles in another forum, I also add them here for you to read.

These are the original articles about Slatzer when he first appears in relation to MM. They have often been referred to, but as far as I know, they haven't been available on the net before.

1) Article from 1 September 1952, where Dorothy Kilgallen mentions Slatzer. (He had met MM and got his picture taken with her on the set of Niagara in June 1952)
Attached File 520901_By_Kilgallen__Charleston_Gazette__West_Virginia.jpg ( 268.35K )Number of downloads: 113

2) The Kilgallen column of September 19 1952 where Slatzer sits in for Kilgallen, in which Slatzer talks about his meetings with MM.
Attached File 520918_Slatzer__Pottstown_Mercury__Pennsylvania.jpg ( 255.71K )Number of downloads: 119

These columns were syndicated and published in hundreds of newspapers all over the U.S.A.. There may have been earlier publications than those here submitted.

Have fun (or however you want to put it...)
Lasse

+Quote Post
Nina
post Sep 23 2006, 09:53 PM
Post #29
♥ gipsy girl

Group Icon

Lasse, I wanna thank you for sharing all these wonderful clippings - they're great (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/hug.gif) for that (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)
Attached File(s)
Attached File TrueExperiences_Dec1947.jpg ( 79.57K )Number of downloads: 111

+Quote Post
LasseK
post Oct 3 2006, 08:44 PM
Post #30
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Time again to give something in return for everything that has been offered me on this board.

1) I return briefly to late 1949 with some notes by Kilgallen November 26 1949 on Johnny Hyde and Marilyn at Ciro's. Maybe they were leaving and he'd lost her in the crowd.
Attached File 491126_By_Kilgallen__Monessen_Daily_Independent__Penn__Sat_.jpg ( 80.15K )Number of downloads: 103

2) Now on to spring of 1950.
Marilyn, now sharing a house with Johnny Hyde, has already done her parts in Fireball, Right Cross and is right about to start shooting All About Eve. Love Happy is already running and Ticket To Tomahawk is about to premiere.
However, more important is the upcoming premiere of Asphalt Jungle. Louella Parsons has already seen a preview, I take it. These are her first notes about Marilyn after seeing it.
April 17 1950:
Attached File 500417_by_L_Parsons__Lowell_Sun__Massachusetts.jpg ( 77.33K )Number of downloads: 98

3) A combined advertisment and publicity for Ticket To Tomahawk on April 30 shows Marilyn in the same white dress she often wore during 1949.
Attached File 500430_Waterloo_Daily_Courier__Iowa.jpg ( 165.07K )Number of downloads: 142

4) Also film writer Bob Thomas is impressed by Marilyn's brief performance in Asphalt Jungle in this May 19th report.
Attached File 500519_By_Bob_Thomas__Herald_Press__Michigan.jpg ( 36.06K )Number of downloads: 99

(For a visual companion to these reports you may want to check your Earl Leaf folder of his shots of Marilyn in Hyde's garden. I have a date of May 17th for those. I also believe Beerman may have shot some bikini pictures of her about a week later, and not much later than that should Beauchamp's shoot be dated, I think.)

(As usual the dates are included in file names.)

Hope you like these early examples of how "Marilyn Monroe" gets noticed in the media to soon become the biggest new thing in the movie business.
If you have any comments or corrections to my information, please tell me.

I'll be back soon.

Enjoy,
Lasse

This post has been edited by LasseK: Oct 3 2006, 08:51 PM

+Quote Post
LasseK
post Oct 5 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #31
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Hi again.
We're still in 1950, late spring and summer.
Here are a number of MM articles which will give you a picture of what the early press attention of Marilyn looked like.

1) An example of how Marilyn Monroe now has become an attraction to sell "Love Happy".
The picture used here I believe was shot in 1949 and the first lines are taken from the Earl Wilson interview with MM in July 1949.
This is from Daily Independent Journal, San Rafael, California on May 20th, 1950.
Attached File 500520_Daily_Independent_Journal__San_Rafael__California.jpg ( 106.21K )Number of downloads: 119

2) This is a typical example of how MM was widely used in promotion of Asphalt Jungle, although her part was such a small one.
From Post Standard, Syracuse, NY on June 11, 1950.
Attached File 500611_Post_Standard.jpg ( 81.01K )Number of downloads: 100

3) Louella Parsons (who by the way is around 70 years old and was around even during the silent film era and has seen and met them all - Harlow, Mae West, Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford etc.), became an early supporter of MM. Here she reports that MM is planned by the studio to play in "Cold Shoulder". (There are a few pictures of MM doing a test for this film, but as far as I know, the film was shelved. Marilyn starts getting compared to big star Lana Turner.)
As we saw in an earlier Parsons column, she again touches upon the orphan aspect of Marilyns background, and soon this will become an integral part of her legend, as the press more and more brings it up.
From Charleston Gazette, West Virginia July 18, 1950.
Attached File 500718_Cold_Shoulder__Charleston_Gazette__W._Virginia.jpg ( 81.75K )Number of downloads: 113

4) The following is, alas, only the first part of a feature on MM. But still you get a picture of how MM is entering into a new phase of media attention, where attention also is turned to her personal background (along with another Lana Turner-connection.)
This is from the August 13, 1950 Long Beach Press-Telegram, California.
Attached File 500813_Long_Beach_Press_Telegram__California__Sun.jpg ( 131.97K )Number of downloads: 102

Hope you like it.

Lasse

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Oct 6 2006, 01:03 AM
Post #32
Daisy

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Lasse
I just discovered this thread. Wow, great info you found. I always heard that this Slatzer guy probably never really knew Marilyn, let alone marry her in Mexico, as he said. But I see he at least knew her indeed. Thanks so much. I'll be looking forward to more stuff from ya.

+Quote Post
suusmarie
post Oct 6 2006, 01:48 AM
Post #33
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Wonderful (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif) ! Thanks (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif) !

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Oct 6 2006, 05:44 AM
Post #34
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

All this proves is what we already knew. That he was a writer, or here called a literary critic of Columus, Ohio. Of course his fellow critic and I am sure friend, Dorothy Kilgallen would report what he says without any depth research if the facts are true or not. She says he has been romancing her by phone and mail, and sending her gifts. Uh, so what. Marilyn had many, and I can't even fathom, the amount of mail or phone calls she would have recieved from admirers or people she may have met briefly, them being infactuated with her. Slatzer says he met Marilyn in 1947 when she was 19. He can't even get her age right. She was 21 in June of 1947. So he again is on assignment for his column or his editor, and goes to Niagara to get a story on Marilyn. Like hundreds of other would be journalists at the time. Maybe he did meet her briefly in 1947. Maybe he tried to get to know her better on the set of Niagara. Marilyn at that time was seeing Joe Dimaggio and I am sure Slatzer was in line behind thousands of other men wanting to get her attention. I think people get too caught up with whoever is in a photograph with Marilyn or who Marilyn may have met at a certain time in her career. She was a celebrity, one of the nations most popular pinup girls, and a big star. She was kind to everyone and every request. But Slatzer claiming he knew her intimately, yet has no pictures or documention proving otherwise (except for the Niagara pics). I view Slatzer as just another stalker who tried everything to get her attention. And failed.

QUOTE(Nettie @ Oct 6 2006, 12:03 AM) [snapback]117050[/snapback]
(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Lasse
I just discovered this thread. Wow, great info you found. I always heard that this Slatzer guy probably never really knew Marilyn, let alone marry her in Mexico, as he said. But I see he at least knew her indeed. Thanks so much. I'll be looking forward to more stuff from ya.

This post has been edited by meganmarilyn: Oct 6 2006, 05:47 AM

+Quote Post
meganmarilyn
post Oct 6 2006, 11:04 AM
Post #35
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I am trying to find more info about Marilyn's screen test for the unfilmed movie 'Cold Shoulder', mentioned in one of the newspaper clippings. Well, this website has it taken place on December 10, 1950. This photo to me looks like the screen test Marilyn had with Fox which got her a new contract. Your thoughts?

Hyde continued to call in favors until his weak heart began to give out. He arranged a screen test at Fox for a movie called Cold Shoulder.
http://www.marilynmonroe.ca/camera/collect...heck/index.html

Screen test on youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4LOP8wmmog
Attached File(s)
Attached File 500718_Cold_Shoulder__Charleston_Gazette__West_Virginia.jpg ( 81.75K )Number of downloads: 81
Attached File dec1950.jpg ( 15.64K )Number of downloads: 103

+Quote Post
LasseK
post Oct 6 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #36
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I continue with the summer of 1950.
As we saw in a previous articles, Marilyn's performance in her very small part in Asphalt Jungle, turned the eyes of the moviemakers as well as the moviewatchers wide open. The press turn their attention to her person and her background.
The following article must have meant a lot to both Marilyn and Johnny Hyde, since - I belive - The Los Angeles Time was a rather big newspaper. (By the way, it mentions that Marilyn already has done a test for the Cold Shoulder (later shelved) film.)
1) From Los Angeles Times August 28 1950.
Attached File 500827_Los_Angeles_Times_b.jpg ( 364.19K )Number of downloads: 126

2) The second small piece is very interesting, in that it already mentions and discusses "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" two years ahead of its production, and with only MM:s brief performance in Asphalt Jungle to go by.
Sitting in for Parsons is one Manners (sorry I don't recall her first name), who speculates on Marilyn doing a part in the film project. (One may recall, that at this time Betty Grable was and for more than a decade had been a great star as well as a legendary pin-up girl since WWII.) Marilyn was a completely new name.
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes had been running as a successfull play on Broadway for some time, and there had also been talk of a movie version for some time.
From Lowell Sun, Massachusetts September 9, 1950.
Attached File 500902_Manners_for_Parsons__Lowell_Sun__Massachusetts.jpg ( 74.24K )Number of downloads: 92

Lasse

+Quote Post
LasseK
post Oct 8 2006, 02:31 PM
Post #37
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

Fall of 1950

1) One early example of the many titles Marilyn was appointed to by various military units.
(To what degree these titles origines from initiatives by the Fox publicity department I don't know.)
From Daily Courier, Connellsville, Pennsylvania, October 5, 1950.
Attached File 501005_Daily_Courier__Connellsville__Pennsylvania.jpg ( 131.28K )Number of downloads: 104

2) The follwing is interesting as evidence of how far back MM:s aquaintance with Peter Lawford goes.
By Sheilah Graham, Monessen Daily Independent, Pennsylvania October, 12, 1950.
Attached File 501012_By_Sheilah_Graham__Monessen_Daily_Independent__Pennsylvania.jpg ( 30.22K )Number of downloads: 81

3) The tragedy is closing in. This is the first public note about Hyde's illness. Here Louella Parsons - an old friend of Hyde's and a new friend of Marilyn's - refers to it as the flu, although no doubt most people knew better.
By L Parsons, Modesto Bee And News-Herald, California, November 7, 1950.
Attached File 501107_By_L_Parsons_Modesto_Bee_And_News_Herald__California.jpg ( 41.05K )Number of downloads: 90

4) What should have been a source of pure joy to both Johnny and Marilyn - the much publicized premier of All Abou Eve - probably gets overshadowed by worries about Hyde's poor condition.
Film ad, Post-Standard, The Syracuse, NY, November 7, 1950.
Attached File 501107_Post_Standard__The_Syracuse__NY__Tue.jpg ( 179.59K )Number of downloads: 100

Lasse

This post has been edited by LasseK: Oct 8 2006, 02:37 PM

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Oct 8 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #38

Group Icon

Thanks to these articles I get useful information, thanks very much

+Quote Post
LasseK
post Oct 8 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #39
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

I continue with some late 1950 articles which among other things reports on how Marilyn's relationship with Johnny Hyde is coming nearer it's sad ending.

1) First an interesting small piece, which besides info on Hyde's condition, also mentions another bit of information that touches upon the discussion about possible MM surgeries to her face.
By Harrison Carroll, The Bradford Era, Pennsylvania November 20, 1950.
Attached File 501120_By_Harrison_Carroll__Bradford_Era__Penns.jpg ( 36.74K )Number of downloads: 92

2) It's easy to think that Marilyn's expression reflects her concern about Johnny Hyde.
From Herald Press, Saint Joseph, Michigan November 20, 1950.
Attached File 501120_Herald_Press__Saint_Joseph__Michigan.jpg ( 70.28K )Number of downloads: 104

3) No comments needed.
By Louella Parsons, Modesto Bee And News-Herald, California, November 24, 1950.
Attached File 501124_By_L_Parsons__Modesto_Bee_And_News_Herald__California.jpg ( 26.52K )Number of downloads: 86

4) There have been some discussions about MM and the premiere of All about Eve.
This is a story that Jimmie Fidler tells in Joplin Globe, Missouri, November 25, 1950.
Attached File 501125_By_Jimmie_Fidler__Joplin_Globe__Missouri.jpg ( 110.6K )Number of downloads: 110

Till later,
Lasse

This post has been edited by LasseK: Oct 8 2006, 07:38 PM

+Quote Post
Ileana
post Oct 17 2006, 02:29 PM
Post #40
I will be chasing a starlight

Group Icon

Various from L.A. Times (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
Attached File(s)
Attached File 18810190.JPG ( 1.24MB )Number of downloads: 87
Attached File 18811224pic.JPG ( 829.97K )Number of downloads: 91
Attached File 18811227pic.JPG ( 575.69K )Number of downloads: 82
Attached File 18811348pic.JPG ( 558.28K )Number of downloads: 92
Attached File 18811649pic.JPG ( 190.31K )Number of downloads: 85
Attached File 188112391pic.JPG ( 756.79K )Number of downloads: 93
Attached File 188112392pic.JPG ( 343.34K )Number of downloads: 71
Attached File 188114901pic.JPG ( 1002.84K )Number of downloads: 114
Attached File 188114902pic.JPG ( 540.93K )Number of downloads: 83

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th March 2021 - 03:26 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.