Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Important : Forum Size Issue
Share |
Forum pruning
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 84
Guests cannot vote 
tigerbalm
post Apr 22 2006, 11:31 PM
Post #21

Group Icon

Hi there
I agree with many of the other members who have already suggested deleting duplicate photos from threads. Is there any way we could all help with this? ( a post box system where we send in details of duplicates as we find them maybe ), the reason I ask is that I have been trawling through the rare picture threads and have noticed lots of duplicates.
As a matter of curiosity, I wondered what other members do when they find a rare photo on a thread ? Are they putting them in a file on their computer or printing them off ? I ask because I have now put lots and lots on a file on my Mac and it is rather overwhelming . But I am thinking ahead as I don't want to lose the chance to access these lovely photos before some of them are culled.
Many thanks
Caroline
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wombat
post Apr 23 2006, 01:02 AM
Post #22
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

QUOTE(mels @ Apr 21 2006, 01:05 PM) [snapback]103404[/snapback]
Dear members,

You probably have read this announcement about the disk space issue raised by the site. This is the place to discuss the issue and share your ideas.

Please reply to our poll and send all your suggestions here. If you guys can see threads that I can delete, please send them over, here as well. It's an urgent matter !

Thanks for your attention,

Mels.

i've notice LOTS of bandwidth taken up by pasting LONG articles (such as the one about the queen mary exhibit; the dimaggio auction). since links to these already exist, we should have just links, and links to pics/artwork/poetry/fan fiction, etc., if available.

also, we NEED a blog! on the boards i've visited, i'm the only one there (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/no.gif) ! we need a place where we can exchange news, info, etc., in real time. know that takes space, but if you do the above, it'll create some!

one other thing: let's vote on which pics should be at-hand, which should be archived/linked, and which should be chucked (we can do this by voting on the parameters); this survey is too general. think of it as one big spring cleaning -- that'll really help!

+Quote Post
LasseK
post Apr 23 2006, 10:41 AM
Post #23
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

First, let me just say a thanks to all who have been and still are contributing to this great forum.

To me this is a really great source for doing studies and research on anything Monroeiana. I would lke to point out the great value of all information assembled here in various subforums and threads. As far as I know, there is really nothing like it anywhere else. As it is now, anyone can get the greatest info on Marilyn Monroe by checking out all the various subforums here.

This leads to my view that, if anything will have to go, it would have to be posts and pictures that are not directly providing any new information on Marilyn and her life.

I think that all subforums that have been collecting info on Marilyn photo shoots, magazine features and films should get priority. There is a lot of great work and important facts that have been put in there by many members through the years.

My suggestion is that - as some other people already have suggested - firstly "My artwork" would have to go, with the exception for such colorisatons that try to restore original colors to a photograph. However, making artwork on Marilyn is an important activity to many members and very interesting as such. I suggest that we either post links to outside the forum for future art contributions, or set up a rule, that for the "Artwork" forum, posts older than, say a month, will be automatically deleted.

The same could go for picture threads that assemble pictures of particular interest of many members, but which - as such - don't really provide any direct new information. I'm thinking of threads like "Marilyn with pets", "Marilyn on the phone" etc. Personally I appreciate the work and enjoy the result of these collections, but if anything has to go, I would have to pick these threads as well.

Of course a great deal of double posted pictures could be deleted, if there is any viable way to do it - I mean it would take a great deal of work. It would have to be done by people who know what they are doing.
Sometimes a picture, which has been posted elsewhere is needed to stay intact because there is some info that would be pointless, unless the picture is being shown. (In these cases, maybe just a small sized, non-linked thumbnail would do it.)

In request threads, there is actually no point in keeping pictures of the initial request, if they have been satisfied by posts of pictures in high-resolution, for instance.

To me photo forums and threads like "Photographers and photoshoots", "Events and paparazzi", "Movies", "Picture investigations", "Magazine & articles", along with other info-based discussions are the most precious ones to keep.

Any way, whatever steps are to be taken I hope that we will get notice some time ahead, just so we will be able to check out the forums and threads first before they get deleted.

Thanks again to everyone who makes this forum such a great place.
Lasse

+Quote Post
Charli
post Apr 23 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #24
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

I beg you, please do not delete my Movie Posters in the artworks section!
Those took me hours to make! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/no.gif)

I would suggest deleting all the "repeated" photos on other threads...the artworks section have original pictures, and therefore should not be deleted. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

+Quote Post
Paju
post Apr 23 2006, 02:14 PM
Post #25
♥ Appleblossom ♥

Group Icon

I've been trying to think how to solve this. I hate to see anything go, but I guess there's no other way.
First, I think the Artwork forum could be cleaned. It was a good suggestion that artwork that's over a month old would be deleted. Something definitely needs to be done there.
Second, the Rare pictures threads and subforum are a problem. I think it's a good idea to have a rare pics thread, but maybe it should be moderated in some way? So that pics that aren't really that rare wouldn't get posted there.
I just love Misc pics subforum. Sometimes it's really important to find pictures of MM that have the same theme. Not all these pictures are already posted somewhere else. I think it should stay. So should photoshoots & movies.
Some of the oldest Picture investigations and requests could be deleted. If for example a bigger picture exists, someone will most likely post it on its appropriate thread.
Also maybe we could create a new subforum for pictures. This could be the place for MM related pictures, such as photos of her family members and other important people in her life, locations, letters, her things and clothes etc. What do you think about that?

+Quote Post
Laura
post Apr 23 2006, 08:21 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

I think in all the forums you should delete any threads that haven't been visited after May/June2005, unless they're already been deleted. Also, I think that there should be one specific thread for MM related news pinned in the MM General section instead of an entire subforum.

+Quote Post
mels
post Apr 23 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #27
Isn't it delicious?

Group Icon

Dear members,

First of all, thank you for your participation. I never hoped for such a high involvement and participation !!! You guys are the best ! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif) Keep your ideas coming, I'm listening to all of your suggestions and I will keep this opened for the upcoming days.

In the meantime and because it was an urgent matter I

1/ Deleted the whole "tests" forum. I will add an auto-pruning feature in there. No one really cares for the contents of this forum so i will be regularly deleted.

2/ Deleted all the posts in "artwork" which hadn't gotten any replies in the past 90 days. I don't think anyone really cares about these posts going and I really had to do something.

I haven't had the chance to reply to your PMs yet and offers to help, I want you to know how much I appreciate your concern and help. I will get back to all of your PMs as soon as I can. I will go on holidays for a week and a half starting wednesday so I won't be able to reply before two weeks, so don't think I disregard or don't care for your feedback. It's just that I have free time issues... (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/wink3.gif)

To everyone again, thank you for your help. And keep posting, I need to hear more from you ! (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/mf_prop.gif)

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/tbird.gif)

+Quote Post
belka
post Apr 24 2006, 02:15 PM
Post #28
Immortal Marilyn

Group Icon

QUOTE(mels @ Apr 24 2006, 02:13 AM) [snapback]103684[/snapback]
Dear members,

Hi Mels!

My suggestions:

1) 15 pages of "Solved Investigations";
2) Old replies in "Picture request";
3) 6 pages of "Probably you have them without watermarks?" - delete all the pics WITH the watermarks from this topic
4) lots of topics like "Marilyn with red hair" at the Rare Pics Forum

hugs ang good luck,
Yulia

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

+Quote Post
SusenSkellington
post Apr 25 2006, 05:04 AM
Post #29
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

If possible, delete all the double posts in the Rare Pictures thread, and Photographers thread. I have noticed a lot of the same pictures in those ones, and old threads with zero replies (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

+Quote Post
wombat
post Apr 25 2006, 05:17 AM
Post #30
Marilyn nut

Group Icon

re-reading the posts, i think clara and sisancho have the best one-two punch solution. i'd also second purging the off-topic sections.

as well as a parameter-like poll, i'd also suggest a consenses on exactly what we want ES to be: a research tool, a forum to jabber about all things marilyn, a news outlet, etc. i have found it invaluable as a research tool, and i've been very impressed with everyone's knowledge here. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/coolio.gif)

+Quote Post
Tara
post Apr 25 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #31
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I think ES should include all of these things - that's what makes it such an interesting and diverse site. Of course it needs some trimming, but I would now like to show my appreciation for our members who contribute so much in different ways.

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

+Quote Post
Tara
post Apr 25 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #32
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I agree with Harald - I often look at older posts when researching a particular subject. A seperate board for older solved cases might help.

+Quote Post
Kurt Cobain
post Apr 27 2006, 08:22 AM
Post #33

Group Icon

I'm a newbie and I did pm you(webmaster). I think moving to a new host with more space is a better thing, because I run a Nirvana fan site, and I get 40 gb of space pretty cheap. I think older topics and things more important to the members. Plus, it's substance for the newbies.

Just a suggestion.

+Quote Post
SusenSkellington
post Apr 28 2006, 05:42 AM
Post #34
Everlasting Star

Group Icon

That sounds like a good idea Harald. That way people can just search there without having to make a new post asking the same questions.

+Quote Post
belka
post Apr 28 2006, 11:28 AM
Post #35
Immortal Marilyn

Group Icon

(IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes1.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by belka: May 11 2006, 10:09 AM

+Quote Post
melibop41
post May 17 2006, 07:10 PM
Post #36

Group Icon

I think that a lot of space could be saved with the rare picture topics. Photos that are posted there could more often than not sit on an appropriate picture forum. Perhaps the "rare picture" threads could be altered to only allow pictures to go in there that are not only rare but will not sit under any other category.
Just a suggestion but this is where I see the most wasted space.
Good luck Mels.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2019 - 07:23 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.