Follow ES on Twitter

Boards rules & guidelines | Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Welcome Guest Log In. This is a private community that no longer accept new registrations.

Search on ES with Google :
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Important : Forum Size Issue
Share |
Forum pruning
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 84
Guests cannot vote 
mels
post Apr 21 2006, 01:05 PM
Post #1
Isn't it delicious?

Group Icon

Dear members,

You probably have read this announcement about the disk space issue raised by the site. This is the place to discuss the issue and share your ideas.

Please reply to our poll and send all your suggestions here. If you guys can see threads that I can delete, please send them over, here as well. It's an urgent matter !

Thanks for your attention,

Mels.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_cindy4marilyn_*
post Apr 21 2006, 02:01 PM
Post #2

I would think the best thing to do is thin out kind of the useless emails and posts that are without photos. I would think to keep the photos would be the most important thing and to be rid of the posts itself. JMO. Thanks Cindy McCord (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/marilynbybrandon_190.gif)
QUOTE(mels @ Apr 21 2006, 07:05 AM) [snapback]103404[/snapback]
Dear members,

You probably have read this announcement about the disk space issue raised by the site. This is the place to discuss the issue and share your ideas.

Please reply to our poll and send all your suggestions here. If you guys can see threads that I can delete, please send them over, here as well. It's an urgent matter !

Thanks for your attention,

Mels.

+Quote Post
Lauren Michele
post Apr 21 2006, 02:17 PM
Post #3
Everlasting Smile

Group Icon

Hi Mels, my opinion would be to delete many double pictures on the same thread. Lauren Michele

+Quote Post
mels
post Apr 21 2006, 02:29 PM
Post #4
Isn't it delicious?

Group Icon

Cindy,

While I do understand your position, I'm afraid that deleting posts won't help us save space. It's the pictures that are problematic, sadly. They take much much much more space than the written posts :(
That's why the only options I gave involve getting rid of pics :(

I hope I make sense !

+Quote Post
BetsyBrett
post Apr 21 2006, 03:41 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

I agree with Lauren Michele...

I am a new member, and thus far, only lurking and browsing photos. But, I have found many repeats of photos within the same threads.

I know it could be a fair bit of work, but I am sure that some members could help with this. ... I think that the lesser quality photos that are duplicated should be the ones purged from the system. So, keep those with higher resolution, those without watermarks, etc., and purge the others.

I also agree that the older photo investigation threads could be purged without much trouble - I expect that the majority of these pictures pop up in other threads.

Betsy

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Apr 21 2006, 03:49 PM
Post #6
Daisy

Group Icon

I think our "rare pictures" thread has many photos that have been posted already .

+Quote Post
marie-marilyn
post Apr 21 2006, 04:20 PM
Post #7
Ultimate fan

Group Icon

Many of the photos from the "rare" threads (and there are many of them) have now been posted elsewhere, especially with film promotional photos and events. so you could probably delete the older entries/threads, or if you have loads of patience, check which photos are duplicated elsewhere and which are not.

My other idea would be instead of allowing photographs from in both the film and photographer threads (i.e having Jack Cardiff photos in both his thread and TPATS) just to put a link and recommend people cross-referance. And prune accordingly. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

OOOH, and I have another idea. Maybe make a rule about only posting genuinely rare photos in that thread, and just putting new ones from particular events etc in their respective threads, rather than in both. I've just had a look at the rare photos thread and many of them are not that rare, so perhaps we need to be stricter about what is and isn't rare, but somehow also not alienate newbies at the same time. Cause I totally understand what is new to one person might be old hat to another.

And I agree getting rid of small, watermarked photos would be a good idea. Such as ones people have asked to have cleaned.

This post has been edited by marie-marilyn: Apr 21 2006, 04:15 PM

+Quote Post
massiel
post Apr 21 2006, 05:11 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

get rid of ALL the useless emails and posts that are without photos. I would get rid of the Artwork all together, or at least only have the current month, with each previous month deleted. And yes delete the double posts in Rare. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/jumpymm.gif)

and remove all of the old things from Test your posting skills/off topic chats.

Also for your suggestions, other forums lock their announcements so that members can not say "thanks!" to them. that might save you a bit of space if you remove the reply to announcements AND you keep ppl from replying to it.

Also maybe you want another mod in the future that takes care of space. whose sole job is to delete repeated posts/make sure pics dont get repeated, etc, etc that way you wont have to worry so much anymore?

+Quote Post
clycla
post Apr 21 2006, 06:27 PM
Post #9
Blue-eyed girl

Group Icon

Hi to all!!!

I agree with many other members... my suggestions are:

1) delete many double pictures on the same thread, to keep only the best versions of each pic, and the pics with watermarks
2) delete photo investigation threads
3) I agree, in Rare pictures threads, delete many double pictures.
4) delete the oldest posts in "Artwork"
5) in "Miscellaneous pictures" threads delete topics like "Your Norma Jeane Favourite Picture" or "Marilyn Sleeping Or Resting" or "Marilyn And The Phone" or "Marilyn In Sunglasses" or "Marilyn Doing Her Makeup" or "Marilyn With Hat" or "Marilyn And Jayne "sharing Clothes" or "Marilyn Reading" because in these topics we find many double pictures (to name just a few...)... or "Let's Play A Game"
6) delete the things not important in Off Topic Chat
7) delete the pics with the accessories and all the clothes, and jewels or locations... all the pics without MM
8) delete the pics that have not nothing to do with MM (like "Mm Impersonators" or "Eunice Murray" I think are important the pics with the parents and relatives only)
9) delete the posts without pics
10) delete all double topics (like "Earl Moran: Early Modeling Pics" or "Carl Perutz: Just Lovely Pics" "Red Cowboy hat", to name just a few)
11) Change all the pics posted in Bitmap format in Jpeg

All the best!
CLARA (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/throb.gif) (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/throb.gif)

This post has been edited by clycla: Apr 21 2006, 06:44 PM

+Quote Post
cristy
post Apr 21 2006, 06:47 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

the photos that are posted more than once should be deleted & ppl could post links for scans because they take much space
& I think some posts are too long (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/shy.gif)

+Quote Post
BetsyBrett
post Apr 21 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

I would also like to quickly suggest that when you're set to start purging sections not involving duplicate photos, to give everyone a little forewarning. Make an announcement that in 3 days (or whatever period of time you think reasonable) such-and-such a section will be worked on, so that folks have time to jump in there and browse the older threads if they want to. There may be info there that members would like to save into their files for reference.

Betsy

+Quote Post
Joan Newman
post Apr 21 2006, 07:53 PM
Post #12
Daisy

Group Icon

QUOTE(mels @ Apr 21 2006, 01:29 PM) [snapback]103420[/snapback]
Cindy,

While I do understand your position, I'm afraid that deleting posts won't help us save space. It's the pictures that are problematic, sadly. They take much much much more space than the written posts :(
That's why the only options I gave involve getting rid of pics :(

I hope I make sense !

We should read the above post again.

I do love collecting all her clothes, furniture, house pictures, etc. They are very precious to me.

This post has been edited by Nettie: Apr 21 2006, 07:54 PM

+Quote Post
Cello
post Apr 21 2006, 09:08 PM
Post #13
I just want to be wonderful.

Group Icon

would deleting old threads that havent ever been replied to help... just a tad bit? Because there are some threads that have ZERO replies... and seems almost useless to keep around.

+Quote Post
Foy
post Apr 22 2006, 02:28 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

The only pics I am interested in are huge, high resolution scans/prints that are very clear with little noise or flaws. Get rid of the rest and save tons of space.

Foy

+Quote Post
Val
post Apr 22 2006, 07:49 AM
Post #15
Drop Dead Gorgeous

Group Icon

I voted for the oldest pics in the Artwork forum.
Besides all the doubles, and there are a few obviously keeping the best quality one.

Some other pics which might take quite some disk space are those Marilyn look alikes type pics. As far as I'm concern they all could be deleted. And there also are some others like "is this Marilyn" type of thread. Some of them are valid but if I remember well, most of them were obviously not Marilyn and some were even kind of trashy. So I would for deleting those.

Other suggestion even if it won't necessarily save major space is that all members rapidly go thru their own posts and delete the now unecessary and staledated posts or threads.

+Quote Post
Margot
post Apr 22 2006, 01:26 PM
Post #16
Super admirer

Group Icon

I voted for 'Atwork forum', but I think that 'Miscellaneous pictures' is also good idea.

+Quote Post
linkeando
post Apr 22 2006, 01:29 PM
Post #17
I´ll follow her... always

Group Icon

this is my opinion:

Disappearing "misc picture" (members repeat photos that we can find at another subforums)
For "picture investigation" and our personal photos (about Marilyn or not) we can use service of free sites like ImageShack (hosting)

many members repeat photos posted, we must raise the consciousness of the people in order that they look for that photo before post it

if we open a new topic like "My favorite photo", use other and free hosting

and... is it possible to join together all of the photos in a free hosting? only photos, and than the members, during a weeks, may get download the photos that we are interested in

Artwork would be able to be divided at the following subforums: caricatures, personal artwork, artwork by... why? ´cause we repeat topics and its artworks like caricatures, by... etc.

I think that forum "rare pictures" must be moderate, that is, all those photos that a member consider unpublished and want to post it at this forum, it will have to be approved by the moderator and to consider it rare.

This post has been edited by linkeando: Apr 22 2006, 01:39 PM

+Quote Post
Tiina
post Apr 22 2006, 04:59 PM
Post #18
Ihana, ihanampi, Marilyn.

Group Icon

I think getting rid off some of the old artwork (like mine) and pics that have been posted many times would be a good idea. (IMG:http://www.everlasting-star.net/boards/style_emoticons/default/balloon.gif)

+Quote Post
Tara
post Apr 22 2006, 05:02 PM
Post #19
Glittering Mist

Group Icon

I voted to cut back the Artwork forum. Also the Misc Pics could be trimmed, unless they are specific. But I would keep non-MM pics if they are relevant - friends, possessions, houses etc.

I'm in favour of deleting double posts or topics that are too similar - eg multiple Norma Jeane threads, when there only limited pics. And some of the rare photos could be removed. I think the Celebrities As MM threads, and off-topic photos could be deleted too.

This post has been edited by Tara: Apr 22 2006, 05:04 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_sisancho_*
post Apr 22 2006, 08:36 PM
Post #20

IMHO, one possibility is increasing the drive space? Drives are very inexpensive these days, I have a half dozen 300GB USB drives. Alternatively, the "deleting the older material" is similar to use net, the old stuff gets deleted after some period of time, an incentive for those collecting images to check in more often! -Si

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th October 2019 - 10:49 AM
This Marilyn Community is sponsored by:

Marilyn Emoticons and all Marilyn related icons and buttons © Brandon Heidrick 2003-2009, Twitter icon by IconTexto.com
Avatars contributed by : Paju of Love Marilyn, Nina of Marilyn Online, Marloes of Marilynfan.org, Faith of starleticons_, Jeharsy, Ariane, and Missy.
Header image by Marina.